Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Question about battery issue /light?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 03:31 PM
MUSThaveastANG

Default Question about battery issue /light?

Hey fellas. Quick question with hopes of an answer. I live in Michigan and have chosen not to drive my car (2005) during the winter. When I have a car sitting for long periods, I do generally try to start it up once every2-3 weeks. I tried recently and my battery was nearly dead. I had to jump it and run it for a while.I've had the same problem again and it's annoying, especially because it's a convertible and diffucult to open and close the doors with a dead battery.I spoke to the dealer and asked if the battery might be running down more quickly because of that annoying theft deterrent light that flashes frequently. He said it's unlikely, but that I may want to consider unhooking the battery if I'm going to have the car sitting for long periods of time. It's a hassel though, but possibly my best solution?

Is there a way that they can disconnect that silly light? Is that likely the problem I'm encountering? I'm not a tech guy at all. I know where the gas goes, butI was lucky to find the battery at all

Zack
Old 01-30-2007, 03:46 PM
merlinsrealm
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Question about battery issue /light?

For me, I disconnect the battery. Because I travel for my job alot, my cars sit for long periods of time. Why would you want to disconnect the theft light? it is probably less hassle to just disconnect the battery if your not driving your car for that period of time.

Eric
Old 01-30-2007, 04:31 PM
MUSThaveastANG

Hello Eric, thanks for the response. My consideration of disconnecting the light is simply because I feel it's useless anyways and my battery would likely not drain as quickly. It seems as though Ishould be able to have my car sit for 2 weeks without having to worry about the battery going dead if I don't start it. Not sure why they decided to put the light in there anyways. Again, thanks for the response and in the end, I'll likely just disconnect the battery during the winter...

Zack
Old 01-30-2007, 04:43 PM
merlinsrealm
3rd Gear Member

Hummm. Yeah, I have had my car connected in the past for at least 2 weeks and started right up...It waslate falltime frame though and nowhere near as cold as it is now.

Maybe someone else can clarify any issues they may have experienced.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:55 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Most new cars have some sort of draw, always. Things like your clock, ECU and other components draw some power even when the car isnt running, this is normal.
I HIGHLY doubt that the theft light is whats draining your battery. Granted it will take some juice but nowhere near enough to drain a 12V battery over 2 weeks.
If youre gonna leave your car sitting for weeks at a time, I suggest you get some jack stangs put the car up on them, itll save your suspension. Also, disconnect the battery. This will keep it from going dead.
-P.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:02 PM
MUSThaveastANG

merlinsrealm - It does seem a bit odd, but I just wasn't sure if others had experienced something similar. I have to drag the car in some time this spring anywho as something is wrong and the window isn't going back up when I close the door (convertible). Gotta love the little problems

P Zero - The drainage does seem to be excessive. I'll have them check the issue when I have the car serviced this spring. I'll just keep the battery disconnected for now though after it's recharged. Thanks for the suggestion on the J stands as well.