Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

got the duals on!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Ry05Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: got the duals on!

Yeah no time today to check under the car but tomorrow I'm going to get under there and make sure it's all tight. I guess I can deal with the rattle for today.. just pretty embarassing driving my nice new mustang and at certain rpms it rattles lol
Old 02-08-2007, 03:54 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ry05Stang

On my car there was absolutely no way to get the old pipe out. Maybe your jack is higher than mine, I don't know.

Also, there is a very very annoying rattle now. I don't know if the shop tightened the screws or not. I went back there and the driver's side muffler is rattling and squeaking, I pressed on it and it moved fairly easy and squeaked, so next time I have a chance I'm going to go under there and check it out. It's dark outside now
I had the same problem with rattling on the driver's side. It's probably the stock hangar. Either it's loose or the shop did something to make it rub up against the frame (that's what my shop did).
Old 02-09-2007, 12:29 AM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

I have had my duals in for almost a year and it has rattled ever since they installed them. I brought it back they put it on the lift and couldn't find it so I have just dealt with it, but if your saying it might be because of the stock hangar I'm going to have to check that out. These damn rattle noises are killing me
Old 02-09-2007, 01:01 AM
AmericanMade
3rd Gear Member

The only real problem I've had with my duals is the it vibrates everything really bad at around 2000 RPM's... I havn't had an rattles though...
Old 02-09-2007, 01:16 AM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

Wow, someone on another forum has the nino kit also and it rattles for them. Is this just adoomed/bad kit or do all duals this. Instead of piecing together this kit would it be better to get a complete engineered jba kit? If it rattled I'd have to shoot myself. Do you think they have any guarantee on that.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:02 AM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: v6VenoM

I have had my duals in for almost a year and it has rattled ever since they installed them. I brought it back they put it on the lift and couldn't find it so I have just dealt with it, but if your saying it might be because of the stock hangar I'm going to have to check that out. These damn rattle noises are killing me
Definitely have it checked out. Stick your head underneath and take a peek at the hangar. My muffler shop had to replace the stock hangar because it was rattling like mad. Since I had a V6 bumper when I installed the exhaust, the driver side muffler tip was hanging lower. I had the shop raise it once I switched to the GT bumpers. Only problem with that is it caused their fabricated hangar to rub against the frame creating a terrible rattle. No big deal, they melted away about 1/2" of the frame to make room for the hangar. Little ghetto, but it works.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Dineau
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: v6VenoM

v6VenoM, what seyup do you have ?
Dual fabricated from a shop or a bolt-on kit ?
Old 02-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Dineau
2nd Gear Member

I'd be intresting that youlet us know what setup you have when reporting your status or rattles. Since rattles could come from many sources, knowing how it's installed is very helpfull.

- Hanger; OEM stock or fabricated ?
- Pipes; Bolt-on kit (NIno, JBA etc..) ?
- Fabricated setup with over the axle from GT driver side pipe
- Fabricated over the axle bent from a shop (full homemade)
- Fabricatedunder the axle bent from a shop (full homemade), yeap some have done it under the axle to reduce number of bend.

So far from I still have a lot of doubts that the conversion kits sold, either JBA, Ninosports etc. would be the cause of the rattles since they have no moving or welded parts on them. The two potential sources of rattles could be, in my opinion:

Potential cause 1: Pipes touching the axle,part of the body or a bracket due to missanlignment at the instalation, may be not visible when on a the lift because axle is dropped at that time and have greater clearance. You may need to check this with the car on ramps or on a lift that maintain body weight on wheels and keep your suspension in nornal position. That could very be the case with those bolt-on kits since they don't have any alignment notches or pins in the different pipe sections. this would be more for after-market conversion kits.

Potential cause 2: Hangers, actually not the hanger themselves but more how the muffler brackets (the bent metal rod attached to the muffler) touching the frame when the muffler is shaking. Just as a side note I had this issue installing a MAC single axleback on V6 last year, the muffler bracket rod was a bit too long and with vibration it was hitting the frame just a little enough to generate this rattle at low RPM, not atidle but when for example in 1st gear and letting the clutch go to friction point (The RPM goes alittle lower with this) it was rattling like crazy, I guess automatics in Drive with feet on the brake would do the same.

The real issue was thatOEM pipes have a bump on them to align the muffler, on the other handthe muffler has this notch so it slip right in and prevent exhaust from turning.TheMAC exhaust didn't had that little slot in it's pipe causing the exhaust not to go completely in and to be just 1/4 of an inch further back and that was enough to craete the rattle.

So as you can see it doesen't take much to create an annoyingrattle, I was able to find the MAC exhaust rattle by shaking the muffler by hand (holding it from the tip), when I say shaking give it a good shake, from left to right and as much as you can from front to back (more difficult). Oh btw make sure it's cold !

Good luck and let us know if you find anything, that's the reason for thes forums ist to help others.....

Dean
Old 02-09-2007, 04:28 PM
fallfast90
4th Gear Member

It feels soo much better having duals instead of a dinky single exhaust tip sticking out the back. Make sure you get a GT bumper asap, it will make your car look a lot better.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:49 PM
John_688
1st Gear Member

Dineau ,
Check your inbox for a PM .

Quick Reply: got the duals on!