Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

X-Charger w/ Higher C/R...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 02:12 PM
cvz_finezt
2nd Gear Member

Default X-Charger w/ Higher C/R...

this post is for the more experianced gear heads in the bunch. i know when it comes to F/I u want to have a lower C/R, so it can save the stress on the engine and so on. But what about the a system such as the X-charger that doesnt create more than 9-10 psi. Granted it's not an intercooled system either.But just 4 shytz and gigglez... built block: Forged Crank, Rods, & Flat Top forged pistons, P&P heads, Bigger Cam, full line of bolt-on's, with X-Charger HI-PO on top. and pushing a C/R around lets say... 10.5:1 and 11:1. granted this will put extra stress on the engine, but i guess with a good tune everything should work out. at least for 60k miles... hopefully. just tossing ideas out there. just throw in some input, All non-idiotic answers welcome.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:14 PM
fitbikeco
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: X-Charger w/ Higher C/R...

no no nooooo nooooo nooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think even with the lower boost pressures you will still run into stress issues and shorter engine life
granted not as short as say like 16 psi but still shorter
Old 02-13-2007, 05:57 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

possibly for a race only application, but not for a street car. 11:1 would be waaaaaaaaay too high with boost on our engines to run on the street. This money would be much better spent on head/cam work and possibly stronger/lighter weight pistons closer to the stock compression. bumping up the cr just a bit might be nice, but not too much. With 11:1 and boost you'd have to pretty much be running race fuel 100% of the time and tuning it safely would be very tough for the street. If you are looking for major power like it seems you are (thinking about going built block) you are better off with a centri kit or a turbo. You just can't go that march farther with the x keeping it safe. now on the other hand, the hi-po x with the 2.8 (makes around 9-10 psi) with some headwork/cams would be well over 300rwhp (probably higher than 325) and would have a monster of a torque curve, but agian you could make these kind of numbers with a turbo kit pretty safely on a stock block. The x-charger really isn't the way to go The thing is, the money it would cost you to go x-charger, heads/cams, could pay for a nice centri kit along with some stronger pistons which seem to be the weak point of our motors. or centri+ heads/cams which as we know from flapjack can make over 400 to the wheels fairly easily. if you are looking for a track car = turbo or centri will cost less for the same performance. the biggest reason for this is that the x is not intercooled and it will cost alot to do so. because of no intercooling, you are limited to a fairly low amount of boost in terms of what a built block could handle. The centris and turbos on the other hand can go a long way with a built block by swapping out a pulley/wastegate spring or boost controller + tune. intercooling is possible on the x, but it will cost ALOT.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:59 AM
cvz_finezt
2nd Gear Member

thnks 4 the input. but the car is staying as is for the next few years... like 10. .lol. thts if i keep it that long. been having major problems with the transmission. the input shaft broke, and and when that happend the syncros went too, not to mention the whole clutch assebley.and i got a few bolt-ons, nothing too fancy. but the service supervisor, is telling me that that isnt covered by my warrenty.... and i'm like BULL FCK'N SHYT!! I'm going to end up shelling out a few grand for this crap. i'm better off just getting another car. granted i'm gonna miss all the apperance mods tht i did too it, i'm going to take off my CDC ducktail spoiler, and keep that and my rims too. love my hot wheels.lol. myb i should just go for a 05 or 06 Gt. and call it a day. but thankfully i still got my 05 Silverado... 47,000 miles and nothing wrong. 0 trips to the shop, mustang...i lost count on how many times i took it in. i love my pony car, but it seems to me that she is giving me more problems for what she is worth.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:35 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cvz_finezt

thnks 4 the input. but the car is staying as is for the next few years... like 10. .lol. thts if i keep it that long. been having major problems with the transmission. the input shaft broke, and and when that happend the syncros went too, not to mention the whole clutch assebley.and i got a few bolt-ons, nothing too fancy. but the service supervisor, is telling me that that isnt covered by my warrenty.... and i'm like BULL FCK'N SHYT!! I'm going to end up shelling out a few grand for this crap. i'm better off just getting another car. granted i'm gonna miss all the apperance mods tht i did too it, i'm going to take off my CDC ducktail spoiler, and keep that and my rims too. love my hot wheels.lol. myb i should just go for a 05 or 06 Gt. and call it a day. but thankfully i still got my 05 Silverado... 47,000 miles and nothing wrong. 0 trips to the shop, mustang...i lost count on how many times i took it in. i love my pony car, but it seems to me that she is giving me more problems for what she is worth.
tell the dealership to stick it up their asses. until they can prove that your modifications were a major cause in the breaking of whatever broke, they legally have to uphold the powertrain warranty. good luck with whichever way you go man, sorry about all your problems, i just have a few rattles.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:17 AM
S2K1
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't suggest doing that, I currently run 7psi on my turbocharged S2000 with stock 11:1 CR, but that will change soon. I would keep stock compression or drop it if you're going to run 9-10psi.