Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

v-6 exhaust vs v-8 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 02:36 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

Default RE: v-6 exhaust vs v-8 exhaust

its more than just air. Its exhaust pulses, time between pulses, amount of air in each pulse, etc.

remember, for every 1 rpm, you get 8 fires with a v8, but only 6 on the v6, so the distance between exhaust pulses changes.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:37 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chadlet

You guys are missing the point. I have flowmasters on my car. I am just asking what causes the sound through the exhaust. Air right. Well then regardless if its 6, 8 or more cylinder or what firing order should have make no difference if the same amount of air is being pushed out. No matter what order they fire you still only have one cylinder at a time exhausting. Correct?

I have heard that you have two more cyclinders but ok so you are on your 7 cylinder to exhaust when i am exhaust number 1 again. Still shouldnt matter. If yo have the same bore same stroke and same duration cams it should sound the same regardless.

Maybe im bull headed but until I get at least a reasonable answer I wil assume im correct.
like my above point said. When he is on 7th fire in the cycle, you are not at #1 again, you actually in between 5 and 6 at that point.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:35 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Some people don't actually convert to TRUE dual...that's what I'm saying. I've seen a lot of folks just throwin on the pipes.

As long as it's a different motor with 2 more cylinders, it's going to sound different than our cars with 6 cyl.

ORIGINAL: fazm

ORIGINAL: 05MustangSally

True Dual Exhaust on the GTs make it sound better too I think.

Converting your exhaust to duals on a V6 still won't make it sound like a GT because it's not true dual.
says who? I have true dual exhaust on my v6. In fact, its EXACTLY like the gt's exhaust on my car. same hpipe, same midpipes, etc.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

You guys are missing the point. I have flowmasters on my car. I am just asking what causes the sound through the exhaust. Air right. Well then regardless if its 6, 8 or more cylinder or what firing order should have make no difference if the same amount of air is being pushed out. No matter what order they fire you still only have one cylinder at a time exhausting. Correct?

I have heard that you have two more cyclinders but ok so you are on your 7 cylinder to exhaust when i am exhaust number 1 again. Still shouldnt matter. If yo have the same bore same stroke and same duration cams it should sound the same regardless.

Maybe im bull headed but until I get at least a reasonable answer I wil assume im correct.

i understand your point exactly and it seems to make sense although i can't confirm it with any facts. very interesting point i must say and maybe only a real mustang auto mechanic can answer for sure. Funny how many questions asked on these forums get answers that never seem to relate to your original question....haha. u seemed very specific in your original question but others may not think its specific enough....haha
Old 02-15-2007, 04:03 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

As an analogy, if you blow into a trumpet, and then blow thesame amount of air through a trombone, you will get a different sound. Like fazm said in a subsequent post, it's more than the volume of air that makes the V8 exhaust sound throatier than a V6. Personally, I like the sound of our 4.0L V6s with an aftermarket muffler(s) - it almost sounds like a European sports car, IMO.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:04 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Ok... try your theory on a motorcycle... My Suzuki has the same size motor, same number of pistons, etc... but the sound will never be mistaken for a Harley...
Old 02-15-2007, 04:06 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

As an analogy, if you blow into a trumpet, and then blow the same amount of air through a trombone, you will get a different sound. Like fazm said in a subsequent post, it's more than the volume of air that makes the V8 exhaust sound throatier than a V6. Personally, I like the sound of our 4.0L V6s with an aftermarket muffler(s) - it almost sounds like a European sports car, IMO.
yep... http://www.v6john.com/Main/Videos/mrt_muff2.wmv
Old 02-15-2007, 10:14 PM
2007Grabber
2nd Gear Member

The V6 may have the same size pistons and I can understand the reasoning behind the thought. The real reason for the louder, deeper sound of the V8 is the compression along with the sound of 2 additional cylinders. The sound of a V6 will never compare.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:20 AM
chadlet
2nd Gear Member

Ok thanks for the more legitimate answers I can buy that. Especially fazms answer thank you.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:34 PM
amptor
2nd Gear Member

Heh imo, the sound on the v6 is great with the single it came with. I might go duals some day just to get a different look for the rear end. I watched a guy in a blue 06 pony with stock exhaust jam onto the freeway next to mine once and it sounded great from the outside too. This V6 setup seems more efficient than the V8 too, not sure why everyone's so oldschool over that, I always wanted at least a 6cyl engine I would've leaned more toward the V8 if they came out with a more innovative engine such as the 5.0L with quad cams. I always felt the point of having a V8 is to have a smoother running vehicle, hence the extra cylinders. This v6 is great and it absolutely smokes most imports (preludes, etc) off the line stock vs. stock.

Quick Reply: v-6 exhaust vs v-8 exhaust