Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 05:37 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Superchargers

ORIGINAL: afixer

<SNIP> possible metal shaving in the pan. i dont care how much grease one uses drilling into a sealed motor is just wrong! <SNIP>
Now, no one tell Vortech this (and use this information at YOUR OWN RISK! This is my disclaimer!!!) take a look at my oil return... sorry for the crappy picture... but notice.. There is a spot on the engine block, right above the oil pan on the driver side that looks like it it's sole purpose is for an oil return line!!! So that's exactly what we used it for... Simply drop the oil pan, drill and tap the hole... Now I'm 100% sure we got all of the shavings! 20,000 miles with no problems what so ever! Also it survived a VERY COLD winter without a block heater!!! We had many sub-zero days here!

here's my oil return:

Old 03-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Krazer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

<SNIP> possible metal shaving in the pan. i dont care how much grease one uses drilling into a sealed motor is just wrong! <SNIP>
Now, no one tell Vortech this (and use this information at YOUR OWN RISK! This is my disclaimer!!!) take a look at my oil return... sorry for the crappy picture... but notice.. There is a spot on the engine block, right above the oil pan on the driver side that looks like it it's sole purpose is for an oil return line!!! So that's exactly what we used it for... Simply drop the oil pan, drill and tap the hole... Now I'm 100% sure we got all of the shavings! 20,000 miles with no problems what so ever! Also it survived a VERY COLD winter without a block heater!!! We had many sub-zero days here!

here's my oil return:

Yea like you said do at your own risk and don't tell Vortech, you really don't want it that low you want it up higher so theres no problemwith enoughgravityin the return to drain it down properly and also higher up on the motor than that for gravity , imo I would not have done it there per that angle of the line but like I said that is just my opinion.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:54 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Krazer

here's my oil return:

Yea like you said do at your own risk and don't tell Vortech, you really don't want it that low you want it up higher so theres no problemand enoughgravityin the return to drain it down, imo I would not have done it there per that angle of the line but like I said that is just my opinion.
which is what Vortech will tell you... but if you know anything about fluid dynamics then you'll realize that makes no sense... The fluid will flow back into the engine with no problems... plus the fact when the car is running I doubt the oil is hard above the oil pan... Like I said 20,000 miles no issue... And like I said that spot is really designed for an oil return line...

Ok... I just found this better picture on Turbo_J's site... She used the EXACT SAME SPOT for her turbo... and if she's confident that spot will work then I know it will!

Old 03-27-2007, 06:03 PM
Krazer
2nd Gear Member

here's my oil return:

Yea like you said do at your own risk and don't tell Vortech, you really don't want it that low you want it up higher so theres no problemand enoughgravityin the return to drain it down, imo I would not have done it there per that angle of the line but like I said that is just my opinion.
which is what Vortech will tell you... but if you know anything about fluid dynamics then you'll realize that makes no sense... The fluid will flow back into the engine with no problems... plus the fact when the car is running I doubt the oil is hard above the oil pan... Like I said 20,000 miles no issue... And like I said that spot is really designed for an oil return line...

Ok... I just found this better picture on Turbo_J's site... She used the EXACT SAME SPOT for her turbo... and if she's confident that spot will work then I know it will!

Ok John here is somthing else I was consideringthe turbo found a reputatble speed shop that builds (20 years exp)and install turbos,We discussed this on the return line in his opinion it was to low for the return line to be installed and wanted higher on the front cover of the motor is what he recommened without hesitation.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:37 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

here's my oil return:

Ok John here is somthing else I was consideringthe turbo found a reputatble speed shop that builds (20 years exp)and install turbos,We discussed this on the return line in his opinion it was to low for the return line to be installed and wanted higher on the front cover of the motor is what he recommened without hesitation.

And Scott Hoag, who builds Mustangs for a living... (He brought you such Mustangs as the Bullitt and the Mach1!) believes that the oil return is perfectly fine where we've got it... Guess where their return line is on their turbo cars??? LOL! None of their cars have ever had and issue and neither has mine... remember there is pressure behind the return line... so it's not like it's strictly fed by gravity... and like I said, with the car running I bet there is hardly any oil above the pan...

Your turn...
Old 03-27-2007, 06:54 PM
Krazer
2nd Gear Member

here's my oil return:

And Scott Hoag, who builds Mustangs for a living... (He brought you such Mustangs as the Bullitt and the Mach1!) believes that the oil return is perfectly fine where we've got it... Guess where their return line is on their turbo cars??? LOL! None of their cars have ever had and issue and neither has mine... remember there is pressure behind the return line... so it's not like it's strictly fed by gravity... and like I said, with the car running I bet there is hardly any oil above the pan...

Your turn...

Your turn.. <-------lmao that was funny

Ok John I am just telling you what I know and what a 20 year experienced turbo guy told me when discussing this. I believe Powerhouse turbos (along with Vortech) alsorecommends and installthier oil return line on the front cover so it sits higher above the oil pan for gravityso we have Vortech, Powerhouse, and the turbo guy all recommend up higher and onthe front cover good guys to go with in my opinion and is how I would do it thats all I am saying. You do it your way I'll do it my way if I had to install a oil return line.

Ok are we done now or isit your turn? lol
Old 03-27-2007, 07:10 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

here's my oil return:

Your turn...

Your turn.. <-------lmao that was funny

Ok John I am just telling you what I know and what a 20 year experienced turbo guy told me when discussing this. I believe Powerhouse turbos (along with Vortech) alsorecommends and installthier oil return line up high on the front cover so we have Vortech, Powerhouse, and the turbo guy all recommend up high and the front cover good guys to go with in my opinion and is how I would do it thats all I am saying. You do it your way I'll do it my way if I had to install a oil return line.

Ok are we done now or isit your turn? lol
But afixer says that you'll never get all the shavings out if you drill up there.... Ok... so what is the worst thing that will happen if the oil return is below the oil level? The oil is a bit slow to drain out of the SC or Turbo? Ok... so perhaps maybe a seal on the headunit leaks a bit??? (like I said I've got 20,000 miles no problems) Very worse case would probably be that you'ld have to have the headunit repaired (new seals?)... but what about the shavings? Probably nothing will ever happen... but what would be the worst case? Damaged engine???? Hmmmm...

Old 03-27-2007, 07:56 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Gotta pay to play thats my only input