Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT Rear Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 01:52 PM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

Default GT Rear Bumper

Ok so I finally put my GT front bumper on (very happy). I was told that I would needed a few things to get the bumper on but I didn't put anything on. So my question is do I need anything for the rear bumper? I doubt it, but I just want to be sure.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:27 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Default RE: GT Rear Bumper

ORIGINAL: v6VenoM

Ok so I finally put my GT front bumper on (very happy). I was told that I would needed a few things to get the bumper on but I didn't put anything on. So my question is do I need anything for the rear bumper? I doubt it, but I just want to be sure.
Nope, you can just reuse all your nuts and bolts like on the front. Only problem is if your GT bumper doesn't include it's own lights/harness, then you'll have to pull them off your V6 bumper. This meansyou'll have to take out some rivets and find some nuts and bolts to replace them.

Other than that, it should take you about half the time the front bumper took.

Also, since you didn't need anything for your front bumper, what did you do about your fender liners? The V6 and GT fender liners are quite different.

https://mustangforums.com/m_1121391/tm.htm
Old 02-16-2007, 03:08 PM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

yea I know. the difference is only a couple of inches, but I made a hole since the fender liner didn't line up with the GT bumper and it looks fine. I will probably get the fender liners eventually but it's not a big deal to me anyway. Also I had to take out the rivets for the turn signal brackets so thats not a problem. That was actually the longest part of taking the bumper off. It was like a one hour process, if that.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:11 PM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

Ok, I saw your How To a long time ago, very helpful BTW. The Radiator shield is that top piece that goes above the grille correct? Do you need it? What about the foam? Was it neccessary?
Old 02-16-2007, 04:00 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Ok, I saw your How To a long time ago, very helpful BTW. The Radiator shield is that top piece that goes above the grille correct? Do you need it? What about the foam? Was it neccessary?
Yknow, I think I've confused the terminology so much, I'm just going to get very literal.

The piece that goes on top of the grille, that's the same on a V6 and GT. The radiator shield/deflector shield/radiator mount or plastic thingy that goes under the lip of the bumper and to the bottom of the radiator is what I have but haven't installed. Doesn't seem to be necessary. It's purpose is unclear, to add support for the front bumper and direct air under the radiator I assume.

The foam wasn't necessary. When I compared them, they looked identical.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:07 PM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

Ok well I guess I will only get the fender liners then. Did you get them from Ford and if so how much did they cost?
Old 02-16-2007, 04:17 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Ok well I guess I will only get the fender liners then. Did you get them from Ford and if so how much did they cost?
I got them from Fordparts.com, but I ordered them along with the deflector shield, plastic retainers, and other things. Total came out to $26 shipped, so I can imagine them costing at least $15 for both.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:21 PM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

ok kool. Thanks a lot man.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:22 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

No problem. Wish I could be more specific. Was hoping I could find the part numbers of those items. I remember Fordparts.com, the OEM area, was a little hard to navigate.

Perhaps the PDFs that are in my How To thread have the correct part numbers.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:27 PM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

I'm sure I can just go to the Dealer and get it too. If not I will find it. It's no big deal. It's not essential to have them. I gotta change my E-Brake cable first, and my selector cable, so fender liners are not on the top of my to do list lol