Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Single Exhaust or Dual Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 04:00 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Single Exhaust or Dual Exhaust?

well, for what the dyno has to say, single is better than duals for a n/a car. infact, a lot of people do find a slight loss in tq whith duals. f/i is another story
Old 02-22-2007, 04:06 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc

well, for what the dyno has to say, single is better than duals for a n/a car. infact, a lot of people do find a slight loss in tq whith duals. f/i is another story
Show me the dyno graphs and I'll believe it.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:13 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: M^2

Anyone have any thoughts on a dual systems with MRTs?
Loud, very loud.

The general consensus is that MRT's are the loud ones.

As for dual vs. single, not really sure. The dual's look better, but there's a lot of additional cost that comes with them (x or h-pipe, extra muffler, cutting out the bumper or replacing it with a GT bumper, etc) so you might not find it worth all that extra cost for the look or the slight gain in performance.

In terms of performance, I've heard a lot of different opinions as well. Some say duals are the best way to go, others say for a 6-banger duals are too much and you'll get ideal performance out of a single. The answer changes quickly depending on who you ask.

As for noise, I've got a single Flowmaster American Thunder and for the single mufflers, I think it was definitely the best choice. No performance gain to speak of (maybe 1 hp?), but the axlebacks generally aren't known for their increase in performance. I can tell you, however, that the rolled chrome tip looks great, and sounds even better, even for a single.

The MRT pipe sticks out farther (which I wasn't a fan of), and in my opinion, it gives more of a European race-car type sound, very high-reving and sophisticated sounding ("sophisticated sounding" is very subjective, but you know what I mean.) The Flowmaster AT, on the other hand, is much deeper and more rumbly, which I thought fit the muscle-car image and my Mustang perfectly. There is some drone at lower RPMs, but it's nothing too bothersome, and when you walk on it, the car definitely makes noise (people will look at you, I promise.) The actual decibal volume probably isn't as loud as an MRT, but it's still pretty loud when you hit the gas, and that rumbly noise it makes is a lot of fun.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:24 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

i hope rygen and scrming dont mind, because these are some things i pulled from both their sites. keep in mind that they are both auto's, and at this point in time, they both had extremely similar mods on their cars. however, scrming had a single MRT, while rygen had dual magnaflows

here you can see that scrming hit 200.8rwhp:
http://www.v6john.com/Main/Performan...k/mrtdyno2.jpg

here you can see (no dyno, but it is written out) that rygen hit 193.9rwhp, then later hit 195.8rwhp with an X pipe
http://www.rygen.net/stang/Stage6.html

so even with the xpipe that scrming didnt have, the duals proved to show less power
Old 02-22-2007, 04:39 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

i hope rygen and scrming dont mind, because these are some things i pulled from both their sites. keep in mind that they are both auto's, and at this point in time, they both had extremely similar mods on their cars. however, scrming had a single MRT, while rygen had dual magnaflows

here you can see that scrming hit 200.8rwhp:
http://www.v6john.com/Main/Performan...k/mrtdyno2.jpg

here you can see (no dyno, but it is written out) that rygen hit 193.9rwhp, then later hit 195.8rwhp with an X pipe
http://www.rygen.net/stang/Stage6.html

so even with the xpipe that scrming didnt have, the duals proved to show less power
Okay, I can see how you could be led to believe that.
Just out of curiosity, how much do you know about dyno testing? Are you aware of the variables involved not to mention the subtle differences between otherwise identical cars, engines, drive trains,tunesetc?
Do you know what can cause the same car to show 195HP at x RPM on one test then show 200+HP at the same RPM on the next test?

Even if and this is a BIG IF, a single has more torque etc. than a dual on the bottom end it most definately has less meat on the top end than a dual system has. That's an irrefutable fact. Probably less in mid range too.
We're talking identical cars here.
What bolt ons were each of them using? Were they identical?
What tunes where they using? What type of dyno's were they using? What was the temp, humidity and so oninside the facility
during each test? Were they all warmed up or cooled down?
So many variables involved. Not a fair measure of performance from that stand point and all in all what really matters is how the car performs on the road. Dyno's be da**ed. Let's not forget the other variable. Who's the better driver..........
Nuff said.........
Old 02-22-2007, 04:46 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Who's the better driver
that has nothing to do with the power of the car....

also, that was the only example that i could find in less than 20 minutes. there are plenty different dynos of 05+ 6ers with duals and singles, and they all tend to show that singles allow more power. sure you can argue with one example, but you cant argue with a giant tendency. also, where do you think the idea came up that singles are more powerful than duals on these cars? people dont just pull that kind of stuff out of their ***.

i am guessing that you have duals, and that you are having problems coming to terms with this idea?
Old 02-22-2007, 05:14 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Who's the better driver
that has nothing to do with the power of the car....

also, that was the only example that i could find in less than 20 minutes. there are plenty different dynos of 05+ 6ers with duals and singles, and they all tend to show that singles allow more power. sure you can argue with one example, but you cant argue with a giant tendency. also, where do you think the idea came up that singles are more powerful than duals on these cars? people dont just pull that kind of stuff out of their ***.

i am guessing that you have duals, and that you are having problems coming to terms with this idea?
results have everything to do with this. drivers included. however, I have no problem coming to terms with anything that's true. tell you what, you be happy with your single and I'll be happy with my duals. how's that?i'm also done arguing with you. you win okay?
Old 02-22-2007, 05:29 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

Man, I had a headache by the end of the vid!
Old 02-22-2007, 01:26 PM
M^2
1st Gear Member

Thanks for everyones help? The argument was funny too.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:33 PM
M^2
1st Gear Member

I'm not going to lose any horsepower by going to duals am I?

Quick Reply: Single Exhaust or Dual Exhaust?