Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Single Exhaust or Dual Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 03:07 PM
sixbanger06
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Single Exhaust or Dual Exhaust?

You wont lose horsepower over the stock exhaust with any aftermarket exhaust (dual or single). However, you will not gain as much horsepower with duals as you will with a good single. I know a lot of people will argue, but the facts are there.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:29 PM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

While were on this exhaust subject I am thinking of going to duals but was thinking of using an H pipe and stock v6 mufflers .I don't care if the car is not too loud .I absolutely do not want any loss at all but with this setup should I see a slight gain in hp or at least NO LOSS at all ??
Old 02-22-2007, 08:37 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: davesyo

While were on this exhaust subject I am thinking of going to duals but was thinking of using an H pipe and stock v6 mufflers .I don't care if the car is not too loud .I absolutely do not want any loss at all but with this setup should I see a slight gain in hp or at least NO LOSS at all ??
Basically, you won't ever see loss. But putting on dual stock V6 mufflers is completely pointless (they're so, so quiet), and since the V6 muffler is only made in the format of the exhaust tip being on the right side when the muffler is sitting properly, it might not even be possible.

The driver's side muffler, if it's still from a V6, will still have the exhaust tip coming out to the right side of the muffler and so everything will be off-center and look horrible.

If you're just looking for something simple in the form of duals, go with GT takeoffs. Not unbearably expensive, they'll look better, sound better, and you should get some minimal performance gains.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

I have to agree that placing an axle back (Magnaflow or so) muffler will net same end result as going with Duals. Please keep in mind that extra pipe and a muffler adds about 40lb (2.5rwhp loss) so the gain is offset by extra weight to carry. Also, bigger pipe is useless since you will loose the low end torque but will probably gain HP at top end. As much as I want to get a Dual Exhaust for looks and sound, I don't think it is worth it from performance stand.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:37 PM
deutscherstang
I ♥ Acer

how are dual macs for the mustang? ive seen some nice macs for the GT and it sounds awesome, just wondering if mac's arent considered to be as high quality so are macs worth the extra bucks?
Old 02-23-2007, 02:40 AM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

i have dual magnaflows, i get a little more torque, i get little more hp......i like em they are loud when i want them loud and just loud enough when i dont get my foot too into it.....i.e. driving normal......my mileage has remained unchanged if not alittle better in the city....ive eaten a beetle turbo for lucnh with em, a late 90s kompressor, camarys, etc.......im not saying i always come out on top but they definatly made difference from single stock.....as for single aftermarket my logic was this.....its going to cost roughly the same to put one on as two laborwise....i went with two......and oh yeah they look good....im gonna get flamed now, but i get many a gt and 6 owners (one who went with setup i had and removed his jba's) after hearing my exhaust saying that the sound i have is the one they want....and yes i said gt owners as well as 6.....bring it on....but im not going to get in apissing contest......i like what i like .....and besides its my car i have to drive eveyday so i want it my way, you know like burger king......like all of us...thats why we got a mustang...to make it uniqely ours.....
Old 02-23-2007, 06:00 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: davesyo

well...that will just not fit on the car. the mufflers' pipes connecting to the car are not centered, and the tips are angles. so if you filled one around, you would have a very silly looking, upwards pointing, drivers side muffler