Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is the V6 worth all this? Expert Opinions Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 11:21 PM
scafone1

Default RE: Is the V6 worth all this? Expert Opinions Needed

Thank you to all for the great responses. Perhaps I misread what horsepower certain add ons gave or they are over-rated. I thought the dual exhaust add on would add 25hp and the new air intake would add approx 22. Must have been both together.

Perhaps this may narrow things down a tad more. I love both the V6 and V8 models. I'm not looking to race it at the track. I just want something in between the 210-300 hp area. Maybe 250. The 6 would be fine but just wanted a little more. Now of course if I add the dual exhaust it appears I would have to replace the rear bumber. Could someone please point me to where this would be so I can get a price.

So in a nut shell. Without the supercharger (which still sounds pretty fun) what mods would you recommend to get me to the 250-260 HP mark in the V6?? I'm trying to avoid some major engine mods (eg heads, intake, etc). And perhaps where I could find most of these things?? I'm hoping these are the same mods that would actually increase the gas mileage (seeing as over 3.00 a gallon is in the cards for this summer). I'm also really not wanting to change the ring and pinion either. I'm the type who can do some simple bolt ons if instructions are provided. Or as my cousin would put it, "you know just enough to get yourself into a lot of trouble and just enough to usually get yourself out".

On a side note. As for the insurance between the v6 and v8, in the detroit area I was told it's about a $100 difference a year between the 2 from my carrier.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:47 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I'm not even sure you need the dual exhaust set-up... from what I understand.. it's more for sound.. and not so much an HP gain. I think a good flowing single axleback should do the trick if your going to stick with a CAI and tune. Not sure about after that though (SC/Turbo).

From what i have seen/herd, the biggest gain comes from just the tune.. not even necessarily a CAI.. just a higher flowing filter than stock... and single axleback. Everything other than a SC/turbo/NOS will not make that big of a difference with regard to HP/Tq gains.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:05 AM
scafone1

I'm sorry. But I am very limited in all the shorthand definitions. Could you please explain to me what "good flowing singleaxelback"means, CAI, or what you are referring to when you talk about the "higher flowing filter". I'm guessing you mean just a high flow muffler from the rear axel back?? Thanks.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:24 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Sorry.. yea.. just a different muffler. Like a Magnaflow or MRT. Anything but stock. The stock v6 muffler is "restrictive"... just putting on a GT - take off (muffler from a GT Mustang) helps. You can buy TWO gt take-off mufflers for around $80.
A higher flowing air filter = K&N ( http://www.knfilters.com/filtercharger.htm )... They are a replacement filter for your stock air filter. They let more air in.. a better muffler lets more air out.. = better "breathing" engine.

Similarly,CAI is a bigger filter that replaces the entire filter box.. lets more air in. It is recommended that you get a tune if you add a CAI. More info here:

https://mustangforums.com/m_1189936/tm.htm
Old 02-25-2007, 12:33 AM
FastMustang06
1st Gear Member

If you are for racing, the shortest way is the NOS! It can get you easy to 300 hp without spending much on bolt ons.

And you can keep your mileage low when you're not using it.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:01 PM
deutscherstang
I ♥ Acer

if you are going for dual exhaust, v6mustangstuff.com has some GT take-off bumpers with under 10 miles on them for pretty cheap, they come painted
Old 02-25-2007, 06:01 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

A guy on here just recently traded in his V6 for a GT and gets the same gas mileage. I would say if you can afford the GT get it.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:08 PM
tilt
2nd Gear Member

I got an 05 V6 and am thinking I will probaly go F/I (3k to 5.5k) and some new gears. I do not think I will be satisfied with only CAI and tune. Maybe I sould have gotten a GT, but the V6 was exactly what I wanted (feature wise) and only cost 14K so in the end I think I made the right descistion.

Now if you buy a V6 and go CAI with tune, single GT take off muffler that will probaly cost 500-700, you install it. Then gears and Tlock about 700 installed. At this point you will be about 60HP short of a GT, but your initial cost is cheaper the insurance is cheaper and you had a little fun modding your ride. With the taller gears than the GT and less weightthe V6might have a comprablefun factorto the GT off the line, someone else will have to verify thatthough.