Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Extened Service Plan Good Investment?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 02:26 PM
PistolPete
1st Gear Member

Default Extened Service Plan Good Investment?

As my '05 gets closer to the end of the Factory warranty (33K and counting with no seriouse problems so far knock wood!), I am considering purchasing Ford's Extended Service Plan as a way to help cover any serious problems down the road. Anyone else think this is a good investment or a waste of $$?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:32 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Extened Service Plan Good Investment?

Opinions will vary but I got one thrown in with the whole package. It will not only cover you beyond the factory warranty but it will also help in keeping resale value up.
If you can afford it, get it.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:22 PM
tilt
2nd Gear Member

It seems like you have quite a few mods. What is to keep them from not covering your tranny if it goes out in 10k miles. Cant they say due to the extra 25 hp you have the tranny was to stressed and failed. Sure it is total BS but I wonder how much trouble it would be to ge such a clain to go through.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:26 PM
PistolPete
1st Gear Member

I wonder about that as well.I did have my tranny serviced by the dealer at 30k and did not change the tune they said nothing. If I had a problem I would re-install factory tune before bringing it in for service for sure.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:28 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

got the second best plan for 6 years 75k miles for 916 financed into my loan. I figured if im paying for the car for 60 months why not have a warranty that goes that long and 916 is like 20 extra a month or something so i feel it was a good investment.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:47 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PistolPete

I wonder about that as well.I did have my tranny serviced by the dealer at 30k and did not change the tune they said nothing. If I had a problem I would re-install factory tune before bringing it in for service for sure.
Herein lies your answer Tilt ;-)
When you take it to the dealer for service, issues etc. re-install the factory tune. IF they discover that the ECU has been reset via the standard P01000 code, tell them your battery died and you had to jump it. Dying batteries are a common problem so they'll have to accept it.
My dealer won't give me a hard time about it either way. The tranny should not fail witha 25 HP increase. I believe the tranny can withstand up to 400HP. Don't quote me on that but it's up there.
You can look up the specs on the tranny to be sure if you like.
It's plenty beefy as it is.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:02 PM
tilt
2nd Gear Member

Yes I know a lot of people change there tune back, but you still have the CAI in there right, will that not raise some eyebrows. Plus you have the dual exhaust installed, which should not matter but if you are not using Ford factory parts and Ford certified mechanics to install I could see them bitching. I bought my stang for a tyota dealer and talked to a ford dealer aboutgetting awarranty. My main concern is that you have to do all scheduled maintaince, and since I bought the car with 18k on it I do not know if that was done. I asked the dealer about this and he thought I would be Ok. That was not a good enought answer for me so I passed on the warranty.

Also keep in mind that the warranty probaly has a deductible right? So all the little 150-300 dollar things will still cost you 100 bucks.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:35 PM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nonstopred

got the second best plan for 6 years 75k miles for 916 financed into my loan. I figured if im paying for the car for 60 months why not have a warranty that goes that long and 916 is like 20 extra a month or something so i feel it was a good investment.
+1 i did the same....
Old 02-25-2007, 09:31 PM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

I bought the extended warranty. There is a lot of stuff that can go wrong with these cars. I've had mine in for 3 things so far.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:43 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Never buy any extended warranty on anything, and you always end up ahead. They need to make a profit, they know the stats, and they build in profit. Most people buy them because they don't have the money to fix their car.

Quick Reply: Extened Service Plan Good Investment?