Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need more power with out voiding warranty

Old 03-02-2007, 09:49 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need more power with out voiding warranty

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

ORIGINAL: rmays06

ORIGINAL: scrming

ORIGINAL: MdnytRider

Having upgraded my car in a step-by-step process (exhaust, CAI & Tune), believe me, there is no warrantable upgrade that is going to make a noticeable difference in performance for under $500. A K&N CAI w/o tune is only good for 6 hp -and every other CAI requires a tune (min cost ~ $550) which is a warranty killer. A single GT muffler will make little difference in performance or sound, and a good true dual system will cost near $500 and depending on your dealer could makewarranty claims a PITA. I agree with Wolfey that exhaust is the way to go first.A singleMRT Axle back looks funny but sounds good and should be in your price range. Have fun...
well... not exactly....

A GT take off muffler is good for about 10RWHP... this has been proven on multiple dynos. Duals are for looks... you will only see a few extra HP... you put duals on for looks and sound..

Noting kills your entire warranty! The dealership needs to show that the failure was caused by the aftermarket part... in the case of the CAI/Tuner... simply hold on to your stock airbox! You should be able to swap your CAI and stock box in 15 minutes...reflash the car back to stock and you're golden! Heck I had my throttle position sensor replaced with my Zex nitrous kit installed in plain sight and it was still wired up to the TPS!!

As far as a tuner... on an automatic it will make a very nice improvement... the shifting on the autmatics is terrible stock... and the throttle lag is crappy... a tuner will bring a lot to the table... So you can spend $400 on a X-Cal2 and then pick up a very inexpensive GT take off muffler! And still have money left over...
This is the way to go! Tuner is the best choice gas miliage, power and even drivabilty are all imporved with this little wonder you hold into you hand. Mufflers are great but not much power but sound good. JBA, flowmaster and of course MRT are all very popular.

Wolfy no need to argue here!
Ahh, he becons thee!
You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.
Scrmn even says that a single axleback,,,GT no less, is good for 10HP gain by itself! ;-p

If you want to upgrade smartly and cheaply little by little, an axle back upgrade is 'always' the best first step IMHO of course.
Oh and it's Wolfey, not Wolfy :[
BUT.. what good is an extra 10RWHP if the car still has horrible throttle response and the torque limiter prevents the car from living up to it's full potential... sure you might get 10RWHP from an exhaust but the car will still be doggy off the line and shift so soft and slow it's hard to tell if the car even shifted... LOL!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:51 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc

you can do gears and tlok, the dealer wont realize if it is in there
not on $500... LOL!

And of course you'll need a tuner to correct the speedometer after the gear change...
Old 03-02-2007, 10:04 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

ORIGINAL: rmays06

ORIGINAL: MdnytRider

Having upgraded my car in a step-by-step process (exhaust, CAI & Tune), believe me, there is no warrantable upgrade that is going to make a noticeable difference in performance for under $500. A K&N CAI w/o tune is only good for 6 hp -and every other CAI requires a tune (min cost ~ $550) which is a warranty killer. A single GT muffler will make little difference in performance or sound, and a good true dual system will cost near $500 and depending on your dealer could makewarranty claims a PITA. I agree with Wolfey that exhaust is the way to go first.A singleMRT Axle back looks funny but sounds good and should be in your price range. Have fun...
well... not exactly....

A GT take off muffler is good for about 10RWHP... this has been proven on multiple dynos. Duals are for looks... you will only see a few extra HP... you put duals on for looks and sound..

Noting kills your entire warranty! The dealership needs to show that the failure was caused by the aftermarket part... in the case of the CAI/Tuner... simply hold on to your stock airbox! You should be able to swap your CAI and stock box in 15 minutes...reflash the car back to stock and you're golden! Heck I had my throttle position sensor replaced with my Zex nitrous kit installed in plain sight and it was still wired up to the TPS!!

As far as a tuner... on an automatic it will make a very nice improvement... the shifting on the autmatics is terrible stock... and the throttle lag is crappy... a tuner will bring a lot to the table... So you can spend $400 on a X-Cal2 and then pick up a very inexpensive GT take off muffler! And still have money left over...
This is the way to go! Tuner is the best choice gas miliage, power and even drivabilty are all imporved with this little wonder you hold into you hand. Mufflers are great but not much power but sound good. JBA, flowmaster and of course MRT are all very popular.

Wolfy no need to argue here!
Ahh, he becons thee!
You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.
Scrmn even says that a single axleback,,,GT no less, is good for 10HP gain by itself! ;-p

If you want to upgrade smartly and cheaply little by little, an axle back upgrade is 'always' the best first step IMHO of course.
Oh and it's Wolfey, not Wolfy :[
BUT.. what good is an extra 10RWHP if the car still has horrible throttle response and the torque limiter prevents the car from living up to it's full potential... sure you might get 10RWHP from an exhaust but the car will still be doggy off the line and shift so soft and slow it's hard to tell if the car even shifted... LOL!
Okay, good point. However I was merely trying to answer theoriginal postthe most conservative ofways. I.E. "I do notwant my MPG to decrease".
With a single axle back upgrade I believe he will see an MPG increase be it ever so little and some additional low end torque. All for less than an hours work. Yeah I know a tune only takes minutes but with a tune most lose some MPG.
Not everyone has to have improved throttle response etc. you know. But this is all academic. Let's just each tell the guy what weeach thinkand try to help him. See? Anything else isa waste.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:44 PM
nickes

Is the tune really that easy, just plug it in, and go. The dealer won't be able to tell, and there are no negative effects on the car. This sounds like what I need. I can install this myself? Where does it attach?
Old 03-02-2007, 10:52 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I installed a single GT takeoff within 2 weeks of buying the car. Sounded better. I installed a CAI and brenspeed tune.. and it's a different car.
If you have $680, you can afford a single exhaust, a CAI, and tuner with 87 octane and 93 octane tunes.

As someone said.. just replace the airbox and reflash to stock if you have to take it to the dealer. For how much it wakes up the car.. it's worth the trouble if the need arises.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:55 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

there is a plug under your steering wheel... It's very easy.. it downloads the stock tune to the tuner, erases it from the cars CPU.. uploads the new tune.. and that's it. Start the car and go.

You can play it safe with a new single exhaust and the tuner.. it will still make a HUGE difference. This way, if you do have to take it to the dealership.. all you have to do is relfash the computer.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:57 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc

you can do gears and tlok, the dealer wont realize if it is in there
not on $500... LOL!

And of course you'll need a tuner to correct the speedometer after the gear change...

by bad, i didnt see the price given. however, i did get the tlok in for $325, and the tlok for $250. But I paid for overnight shipping on the tlok, which should have left it at $190

That would be a total of 515
Old 03-02-2007, 11:43 PM
Denny Carlton
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nickes

Is the tune really that easy, just plug it in, and go. The dealer won't be able to tell, and there are no negative effects on the car. This sounds like what I need. I can install this myself? Where does it attach?
The port is by the drivers side lower panel. Like some guyssaid, the tune is the way to go, but if you set the tune to a very hot setup your mpg will go down. On the other hand if you set it mild you'll feel a little more kick in your seat and keep your mpg at a good precent. I'm running a hot setup and I'm getting 13-15mpg with my big 12" foot. If I run a mild setup, I can get 16-20mpg with the same big foot. But the car will run like the real old horse & buggy. Oh! and bigger gears don't give you more horsepower, it takes power away to make up for getting you off the line faster. A catch 20/20
Old 03-03-2007, 12:52 PM
nickes

Does the tuner have to stay plugged in to the car, or is the tune set into the computer and then removed. Do yoiu mount the tuner? How much increase in pep will I get from just the tuner, with out the CAI?
Old 03-03-2007, 02:05 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

I wonder about that as well. Since I will be making a few trips to the dealer for the thunking noise.
Reflashing to stock would be easy enough, but taking the CAI off for every dealer visit I don't want to do.So, since the tuner comes with 3 tunes could I have it programmed for something like this?
1. No Mods (torque limiter & shifts only)
2. +CAI ( for after the thunking noise is fixed )
3. +CAI + GT takeoff muffler ( do I need a separate tune for a different muffler?)
You can tell I'm new to this tuner stuff, but the SCT website doesn't say much.
I'm probably better off getting my thunking noise fixed first before doing the CAI/Tune, but any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks DD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need more power with out voiding warranty