Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

"Worst" possible design change on 2008 V6's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 03:13 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default RE: "Worst" possible design change on 2008 V6's?

i dont see why they would put the 3.5 in...its too small for a mustang motor imo, in any situation, a stang needs to have large stroke so it sounds good and makes good low end torque. I think they could easily reach the numbers the 3.5 duratec makes be reworking the 4.0 just a bit. Look at gash05 on the collective forums....he put down 215rwhp on a mustang dyno (around 230ish rwhp on a dynojet, maybe a bit less, but probably around there or higher depending on how the mustang dyno was calibrated) in an auto. That's around 260-70 chp without cam work, just p&p heads and a few bolt ons. You can't tell me that ford doing some head/cam work, possibly bumping cr just a bit couldnt keep this thing emissions legal and make over 260bhp, it'd be pretty easy for em and would be sssiiiiiick! They could probably get 260hp and close to 300 ft lbs which is around the numbers the new edge gt's put down.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

i dont see why they would put the 3.5 in...its too small for a mustang motor imo, in any situation, a stang needs to have large stroke so it sounds good and makes good low end torque.
I've thought the same thing. We don't want our Pony's sounding like ricers.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:56 PM
S1ckStang
2nd Gear Member

well as far as locking your keys in the trunk just pull down the rear seats.

but it hink the only thing that will really bother me is if they add mroe power. because ford won't put a dual exhaust, and they wont upgrade the rear. i just hope they dont up the hp.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:04 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

why do you hope they dont up the power? If they keep the 4.0 as the motor and up the power, we will be able to use whatever they got the extra power with. Say they re-design the heads with more aggressive stock cams and just all around better flowing heads, we will be able to buy them super cheap like all the non-pi 4.6 guys buy pi heads for pretty cheap. We already know there is quite obviously more power to be had out of this motor while still under emission regulations. The sport-trac makes 14 more ft lbs than we do stock with the same basic motor with slight differences. Obviously with some tweaking, ford could make more power, and torque. they could EASILY make the numbers the 3.5 makes out of the 4.0, it would just take a bit of r&d. The 3.5 wouldn't be the right motor for a mustang imo. rework the 4.0. that's what we need.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:22 PM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

I'm almost positive Ford isn't upping the HP until they do the redesign after the Camaro comes out. But don't quote me on that. I can't remember where I read it. sorry to give half *** facts lol
Old 03-10-2007, 07:18 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

If ford is smart they will up the power BEFORE the camaro comes out. Lots of people love the look of the new camaro. We need to snag as many new owners as possible before it comes out. Think of it this way.

Guy is looking for a car 3 months before the new camaro comes out. The new camaro is going to have, say, 280hp. The competing v6 mustang has 210...he says to himself, well id rather have the extra 70 so i guess i can wait. now think about it like this-

Same guy sees the new camaro is going to have 280hp, still needs a new car, but the new v6 mustang has just been bumped up to 265hp. He really wants a car right now, and since the new mustang is so close in performance, he decides not to wait for the camaro, buys the mustang, takes a sale away from chevy and gives it to ford. If we wait til the camaro comes out, chevy has that 100k mile warranty, and that camaro looks real good. I think they need to start preparing for it BEFORE it comes out.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:33 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: goldenglory18

TRUNK RELEASE!!

oh, and a stronger rear end
7.5s have actually been proven to over 500 HP on the earlier stangs, just not with the tlok (NOT GOING THERE!!!!)

SOHC version of the 4.2 f150 truck motor with 4V heads = pure sex, say hello to the 300 HP mark
Old 03-10-2007, 08:09 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232

ORIGINAL: goldenglory18

TRUNK RELEASE!!

oh, and a stronger rear end
7.5s have actually been proven to over 500 HP on the earlier stangs, just not with the tlok (NOT GOING THERE!!!!)

SOHC version of the 4.2 f150 truck motor with 4V heads = pure sex, say hello to the 300 HP mark
ditto! I actually read a comment from a thread in here stating that 7.5 tlocks are stronger than 8.8 rear ends.

the THUNKing noise is soon to be a problem of the past.
Look out for a TSB on the issue sometime late first or early 2nd quarter.

Oops! I didn't see the title of the thread before I blasted out my 2 cents. Nothing worse about a dissapeared thunking noise or a 7.5" tlok rear end.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

if a guy wants a stang, he will get a stang. if he wants a camaro, he will wait for that no matter how much added horsepower the v6 stang may have. i'm sure like anyone who purchases a new car on their own wants the coolest newest thing out there. that was a huge factor when i bought my stang. when you commit to a new big purchase, you want it to be money well spentthat can really impress and the camaro will likely do that no matter what justlike the stang did when it was on the roads inlate 2004. this is the likely mentality of a consumer. if fordwants itsmustang sales to staystrong, they should up thefactory warranty then up the power. i believe the warranties play a bigger role than we think cuz they provide great peace of mind for the undecided consumer. i love my stang but hope the camaro does well so that ford raises their bar and keeps on producing a better product so that we always win. what are the engine choices on the new camaro anyways?and what mods does gash05 have on his stang? (i'd like to produce those numbers myself)
Old 03-10-2007, 10:28 PM
azstanglover
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: S1ckStang

well as far as locking your keys in the trunk just pull down the rear seats.
I know, but it's a pain to have to crawl back there to look for them

Quick Reply: "Worst" possible design change on 2008 V6's?