Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

questions about switching out the v6 muffler for a gt muffler.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:59 PM
harlanb1
1st Gear Member

Default RE: questions about switching out the v6 muffler for a gt muffler.....

Murcery83,
Don't sweat the install of the GT take off muffler.
I just did it this weekend and it was very easy.
I recommand having a second pair of hands to help hold the muffler (my brother helped me.).
The GT take off looks almost exactly like the v6 muffler except that the GT muffler does not have the dampening weight,
and there is no hanger on the pipe that sticks out of the front of the muffler.
The install took us about 45 min, and I did not have to jack up the car (and I am a Big guy).
I would suggest that you first loosen the 15mmclamp boltthat connects the muffler to the exhaust pipe. It is very easy to get to.
I would then put a little oil on the nub of the very front muffler mount where it connects to the rubber holder, and slide the rubber piece over the nub. I just left that hanger in place so I would know where it was if I needed for anything later on.
I would then unbolt the two bolts that holds the second front muffler hanger. the bolt that goes into the bottem of the frame is a little hard to get to but if I can do it with my meaty hands anyone can. Then unbolt the rear hanger.
You should then be able to slide the muffler off the pipe. Mine came right off with a little wiggling.
Slide the hangers over the mounting rods on the muffler and and slide the muffler on the exhuast pipe.
I would tighten the exhaust pipe clamp last. Hold the muffler up to the frame and bolt the front and back hangers to the frame.
Make sure that the muffler lines up with the hole in the bumper before completely tightening the bolts. Mine lined up perfeclty.
Tighten the muffler mount bolts then the clamp on the exhaust pipe.
It sounds more complicated than it actually is. Dont waste your mony on a shop to do this unless you have money to burn and dont like
to geta little dirt on your hands. This is one of the easiest things I have ever done to a car.
I have spent more time putting on windshield wipers than doing this simple mod.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:04 PM
MirandaRae
2nd Gear Member

question for you people... how will putting a gt muffler on change the sound...and where do you get one from?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Tubra
2nd Gear Member

Sound is good. Much better.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:02 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

the gt muffler flowes a bit better. so it is a little deeper. i installed mine and the installed the other later with the x-pipe.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:57 AM
harlanb1
1st Gear Member

MirandaRae
The GT muffler is the same size as the v6 muffler. I suspect that the insides are different though.
The GT exhuast tip is about 1/2 inch bigger in diameter
Itsounds throatier\deeper. It does not seem to be louder.
maybe it is just me, but it seems like the engine doesn't brake as hard with the new muffler when decelerating.
maybebecouse of less back preasure? Any ways, down shifting seems to be smoother for me in any case.
I am glad I did the mod.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Here is a collection of pictures of my car. At the very bottom of the page, you'll see my GT takeoff. Lots of great advice here. I used a 13 and a 15 combo-ratchet wrench. Don't be afraid to do it yourself. Just make sure everything is tight, and make sure your tailpipe does not touch your valance(bumper cover).

You should be able to buy takeoffs right here. Just go to the 4.6L section and say "Is anybody selling theirs?". You will get offers for GT takeoffs (as a set, because nobody wants to hang on to their left-side muffler) in the neighborhood of $50 to $75. I also beleive www.v6mustangstuff.com sells them in their "2005 mustang" section.

http://www.preciouseffects.com/musta...e/mustang.html

Ken
Old 03-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

It looks as if you have a 2006 V6 Pony Package with Interior Sports Apperance Package. I don't see the aluminum pedal covers in your photos. Were they not offeredwith the SAPin 2006?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:43 PM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

Here's mine, sounds GREAT !!!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/32800/577637EFD644415C9B3BEF920F043EA0.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Buckshot Barry

It looks as if you have a 2006 V6 Pony Package with Interior Sports Apperance Package. I don't see the aluminum pedal covers in your photos. Were they not offeredwith the SAPin 2006?
I'm not sure. I'll have to check the SAP description in my '06 brochure. Those would be nice to have!
Old 03-14-2007, 12:00 AM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Ken,

I just went to www.ford.com and to the Build My Ford section. They still have 2006 info there. Looks like the aluminum pedal covers were added to the 2007 SAP, not on the 2006 SAP. You sure have a nice Pony there.

BB

Quick Reply: questions about switching out the v6 muffler for a gt muffler.....