Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tire pressure monitor problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 09:35 PM
trpcthndr
1st Gear Member

Default Tire pressure monitor problem...

So my 2007 V6 originally had 18" fanblades on it when I got it back in November. The dealer barely caught me before I pulled off the lot, and panicked because the sticker price didn't include the 18" and long story short....they put the stock 16's back on b/c I wasn't going to pay another $2k!!! That night I started getting a "tire pressure monitor fault" alarm everytime I started the car. I finally took it back to them and they had to retrain the computer for the 16s. Problem solved.

Here's my problem now...I just bought a set of 18" Ford factory bullitts from a GT owner locally here. They are factory wheels but now I'm getting that alarm again. The Ford dealer however tells me that these wheels don't come with the tire pressure sensor bands inside, and there is NO WAY they can turn off that feature in the computer. In other words, Ford sells wheels withoutthe tire pressure monitor, and even though I have FACTORY wheels on my car, I have to hit reset every single time I start it up? That doesn't sound right does it????? Anybody out there know anything about this? Is the dealer trying to rip me off for $700+ to put sensors on????
Old 03-18-2007, 05:48 AM
OIIIIO
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Tire pressure monitor problem...

First, I hope I'm understanding your concern.....[/align][/align]Can you just have your sensors removed from your 16" rims and install on the 18" rims? .... that may cause you roughly $150 in labor (and strap assembly) to reuse the sensors.[/align][/align][/align]
Old 03-18-2007, 09:28 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

I've read quite a few different posts and I don't recall this topic coming up before, so it's kind of a new on on me. I'm thinking about getting some of the aftermarket Mach 1 wheels. Is this sensor thing something that I'm going to have to deal with? With this many people using aftermarket wheels, I can't believe that I've never heard of this before.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:40 PM
trpcthndr
1st Gear Member

I can't believe this is even an issue. It's just hard for me to believe there is NO way Ford can re-program my computer not to check for tire pressure. I just can't believe that! I don't think I can re-use the bands from the 16's because they'd be too small for the 18's (at least in my way of thinking). BUT I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE FORD IS TELLING ME THERE IS NO WAY THEY CAN SHUT OFF THAT ALARM!! Granted, all I have to do is hit reset when I start the car, but still...give me a break. Like you said, with this many people using aftermarket rims, I can't believe this is a problem. I think the dealer is trying to rip me off. I'm gonna hit another dealer or TWO tomorrow and keep you all posted! Keep in mind, these aren't even aftermarket rims, they are FACTORY FORD 18's!! Sheesh!!
Old 03-19-2007, 11:51 AM
trpcthndr
1st Gear Member

Here's a link to a page on here about this very subject...

https://mustangforums.com/m_2219956/...tm.htm#2898896

It seems that as of 2007, this is a mandatory government mandated safety feature and Ford really can't reprogram my car. What they didn't tell me was that I can re-use the sensors as you suggested and simply purchase the bigger 18" bands and just pay to have them re-installed. Case solved I hope...I'll keep you posted how it turns out!