Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New 2007 Mustang Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 02:04 PM
proteus1

Default RE: New 2007 Mustang Owner

Hey Wolfey,

No I didn't notice any problems with the windows going up and down that day. I just kept clearing the snow and ice from the window where it meets the weather strip.

I might get the T-loc posi one day, as for the GT muffler, I don't know, the stock muffler has a nice deep rumble tone to it allready.It is louder and deeper than the base V6 I test drove months ago, maybe the 2007 Pony Package upgrade has something to do with it?
Old 03-26-2007, 02:48 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: proteus1

Hey Wolfey,

No I didn't notice any problems with the windows going up and down that day. I just kept clearing the snow and ice from the window where it meets the weather strip.

I might get the T-loc posi one day, as for the GT muffler, I don't know, the stock muffler has a nice deep rumble tone to it allready.It is louder and deeper than the base V6 I test drove months ago, maybe the 2007 Pony Package upgrade has something to do with it?
Hey Proteus1.
Hmm, did you read my mind or something regarding your response to a question about your windows going up and down that I didn't ask? ;-)

The GT mufflers are supposed to flow better than the stock V6 muffler does. When you go WOT, you'll probably hear a wooshing sound coming from the tail. That's the stock muffler causing back pressure due to restrictions imposed to keep it quiet.

I don't have any personal experience with them yet but I may trade my Flowmasters out for them some day. Still pretty happy with my Flowmasters which are superior to the Street Pro's I first had as they came with the Pypes true dual cat back system I purchased months ago. Teenie bopper loud droning things those street pro's are! The Flowmasters are really decent at low speeds and light throttle but when you open her up! Oh my god! Teenie bopper loud but no drone. Oh well, guess there has to be a trade off in any case.

Again, if you want better flow at WOT, you'll want to consider changing out the stock V6 can for a better flowing which will be a somewhat louder can. Loud singles are ricey as far as I am cocnerned and there's nothing wrong with having duals on your V6. Best overall performance gain IMO with a proper tune and CAI of course.

If you want to go with what you can afford to change step by step, I'd go for the tlock first, then duals (rear GT bumper cover optional), then CAI and tune.

Next trick for me is an x-charger! Yeah! Gittem baby! Gittem!
Old 03-26-2007, 05:05 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

Still pretty happy with my Flowmasters which are superior to the Street Pro's I first had as they came with the Pypes true dual cat back system I purchased months ago.
Hey Wolfey!

About those Pypes, mine are coming this week. (I have the GT mufflers already as backup)

What should I worry about when installing them?

They are supposed to connect up to the cats, but when I look at a parts diagram of the V6 system... the cats look like they are welded to the mid pipes.

Um, how does the install work?

Already built my ramps and now I see this mess?

Thanks

SOHC
Old 03-26-2007, 05:14 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOHCman

Still pretty happy with my Flowmasters which are superior to the Street Pro's I first had as they came with the Pypes true dual cat back system I purchased months ago.
Hey Wolfey!

About those Pypes, mine are coming this week. (I have the GT mufflers already as backup)

What should I worry about when installing them?

They are supposed to connect up to the cats, but when I look at a parts diagram of the V6 system... the cats look like they are welded to the mid pipes.

Um, how does the install work?

Already built my ramps and now I see this mess?

Thanks

SOHC
Yo SOHCman,
you'll need one of these tools, http://www.etoolcart.com/browseprodu...er-KD2031.HTML

The instructions you'll receive with the kit will tell you what you need to do with them.
It's a pretty straight forward job actually and it's easy.

Yes, the pipes from the cat's are welded at their respective collectors as they should be then down to the y pipe and on out through the single pipe, over the axle and out to the can.

Once you cut the pipes I believe around 8" to 10" after each cat, you simply slip the new pipes over them and clamp in place.

You'll see what I mean.
Let me know how you like the GT cans. I haven't heard a set on dual V6 yet.

Have fun!
Wolfey2k

Old 03-26-2007, 05:30 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

Yo SOHCman,
you'll need one of these tools, http://www.etoolcart.com/browseprodu...er-KD2031.HTML

The instructions you'll receive with the kit will tell you what you need to do with them.

Yes, the pipes from the cat's are welded at their respective collectors as they should be then down to the y pipe and on out through the single pipe, over the axle and out to the can.

Once you cut the pipes I believe around 8" to 10" after each cat, you simply slip the new pipes over them and clamp in place.

You'll see what I mean.

Have fun!
Wolfey2k
Can you do this while still attached to the car or does the Y have to come out to get clearance to cut the pipes?

Hate to take everything apart only to not be able to get it back together.

35+ mile run with open pipes to the nearest shop!

2AM maybe...

SOHC
Old 03-26-2007, 05:58 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Sweet ride and awesome color choice! Welcome
Old 03-26-2007, 06:01 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

i suggest you get a sawzall... You will need to cut the old midpipe off. and to get the new ones on you will need to get really high jacks and put them under the chassis and not the axle because the axle if compressed will not allow themidpipes to pass through...no matter what you do, w/o a lift getting the old one off is a PITAbecause of the retarted damper on them.When cutting the pipes after the cats, youshould cut as close tothehanger bracket as possible so you have room for error, because there is plenty of sway room within thesliding over pipes.When you install themuffler hanging bracket on the drivers side, the holes were not threaded for me so I suggest that you take a screw from one of the passenger oem brackets and a socket wrench and go dry into the hole and make it threaded (painted over) and you will need to push really hard. Pm me for any other questions, I'll be happy to answer them. Its a pretty good kit except that my xpipe hangers didnt line up, so we had to bend them. Hope this helps. And dont give up on the street pros after a week....give it a while, they break in and get a lot quieter. Its a completely different loudness now.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:09 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nonstopred

i suggest you get a sawzall... You will need to cut the old midpipe off. and to get the new ones on you will need to get really high jacks and put them under the chassis and not the axle because the axle if compressed will not allow themidpipes to pass through...no matter what you do, w/o a lift getting the old one off is a PITAbecause of the retarted damper on them.When cutting the pipes after the cats, youshould cut as close tothehanger bracket as possible so you have room for error, because there is plenty of sway room within thesliding over pipes.When you install themuffler hanging bracket on the drivers side, the holes were not threaded for me so I suggest that you take a screw from one of the passenger oem brackets and a socket wrench and go dry into the hole and make it threaded (painted over) and you will need to push really hard. Pm me for any other questions, I'll be happy to answer them. Its a pretty good kit except that my xpipe hangers didnt line up, so we had to bend them. Hope this helps. And dont give up on the street pros after a week....give it a while, they break in and get a lot quieter. Its a completely different loudness now.
Wow, this is becoming a hell of a project.

I figured the front muffler damper can be unscrewed for removal.

No one else has mentioned tall jackstands or flamethrowers and laser welders!

Guys, you're scarin' me!

I may just toss everything in the 4x4 and drive to a muffler shop.

SOHC
Old 03-26-2007, 07:01 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOHCman

Yo SOHCman,

You'll see what I mean.

Have fun!
Wolfey2k
Can you do this while still attached to the car or does the Y have to come out to get clearance to cut the pipes?

Hate to take everything apart only to not be able to get it back together.

35+ mile run with open pipes to the nearest shop!

2AM maybe...

SOHC
You can do anything from underneath the car as long as you have enough clearance.
I did my pypes and differential using a good ol' lift ;-). Best way to go if you have access to one of course.

I am sure if you have the car at least 10" off the ground, you should be fine. The more the better. Some of the HDjack stands will go as high as 16" I believe.
What ever you do, be careful not to get yourself crushed. Always be 100% safe in any case.

Enjoy!
Wolfey2k
Old 03-26-2007, 07:07 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Good suggestions nonstopred.

If you jack your car up and put it on stands both front and rear, you'd be fine and have plenty of clearance to remove the old mid and over axle pipes.

My 07 pony came with the hanger bracket holes threaded on both sides. Good move on Ford's part.

If I didn't have use of a lift, I would have done the job as I suggest above.
4 point jacking of the car is ideal of not mandatory to cut the PITA factor way down if not completely nullify it ;-).

Wolfey2k

Quick Reply: New 2007 Mustang Owner