Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Muffler delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 04:05 AM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

Default Muffler delete

What's going on guys, as some of you may know, I recently installed the pypes true dual x with street pro mufflers. I like the sound (when i step on it), it's loud, and sounds pretty mean.. the idle is fairly quiet, but I'd liek to have more of a low rumble at idle and when I step on it, and I was wondering if going with no mufflers (that's having a shop just fab some pipe and put on a tip) would give me these results. I'm going to leave the cats on and keep the X pipe. Do you think it'd be better if I just kept the mufflers on? Will taking the mufflers off decrease performance? Thanks everyone.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:14 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Muffler delete

Wouldnt taking the mufflers off just make it even more loud? When i installed my GT take offs i went around the block without the mufflers on and it was just more loud and annoying IMO
Old 03-29-2007, 04:40 AM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

Not sure, I'm thinking it might be as loud as the street pro's, but more of a rumble (which is really what i'm looking for), along with a rumble at idle. Hurricane, was it annoyingly loud in the cabin too?
Old 03-29-2007, 04:45 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

It will be louder than the street pros. It will be louder in the cabin. And it causes lots of vibrations. Goto a fab shop and get the straight piped out of it instead of mufflers. It will still be annoyingly loud but i would think since the openin gisnt straight under the cabin it would stop some interior noise and vibrations. Or you could get electric cutouts and open them when you want it loud and closed when normal
Old 03-29-2007, 08:23 AM
57Heavy
1st Gear Member

Not trying to be real negative here, but where I live we have vehicle inspections once a year- no mufflers would be a big REJECT! Also I bet the cops out in SF would have a field day on your muffler-less stang! Sorry.
57 Heavy
Old 03-29-2007, 10:51 AM
tedBalog
2nd Gear Member

Nice part about living in farm country.

E-check FTL
Old 03-29-2007, 01:23 PM
DelStang86
2nd Gear Member

yeah, police would be all over you, and inspections wouldn't work.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:28 PM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 57Heavy

Not trying to be real negative here, but where I live we have vehicle inspections once a year- no mufflers would be a big REJECT! Also I bet the cops out in SF would have a field day on your muffler-less stang! Sorry.
57 Heavy
It's ok, opinions are opinions. We don't have our car inspected every year, and i bet cops would be all over me without mufflers, but I don't think they worry about that or actually look for a muffler because I'll have tips on. But I also know running with no muffler isn't legal, but I thought you could pass the sniffer even without mufflers. Anyone with more input?
Old 03-29-2007, 03:41 PM
S1ckStang
2nd Gear Member

ok well elctric cutouts would be the best so no worries of inspections or anything, or police, but i kno around here inspections aren't that often but what you could do is idk where your mufflers attach but if they were axle backs you could just the the muffle shop fab up a stright thro in place of that to fit there so wen inspections come you can jus swap them in 10 mins, and get the same sound your looking for so wne its inspection time thro the takeoffs on and for rest of the time have no mufflers.

and no mufflers will be much louder and deeper it will sound great. it mmgiht be a bit drony however, but if you dont do alot of highway driving you wont mind. but next to camming it this will eb best way to get deep rumble at idle.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:54 PM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

Aren't electric cutouts expensive? Unfortunately I don't think I'd have money for that, next mod coming is cai/tune + tint. But I thought that the muffler delete would be a cheaper way to get that sound I'm looking for

Quick Reply: Muffler delete