Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hesitation after driving on the freeway

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Dreamer

Default Hesitation after driving on the freeway

When stopping and then taking off again the car will hesitate and take off again and won't do it again until I drive at highway speed for awhile and stop again. I have had the fuel pump replaced last year due to a TSB. (supposedlyair bubbles)Now it's doing it again. Dealer is stumped. I have gone back and looked thru 70 pages of post and can't find an answer. I know we have talked about this at some point.Can somebody who has had this problem tell me what has to be done to correct this. Thanks
Old 04-03-2007, 01:10 PM
billybix76
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Hesitation after driving on the freeway

This may be redundant but how about the fuel filter? and is it auto or manual? did you look for DTC's? My fuel filter started ******* the car at 15K miles. and I also had a problem with a TSB on the throttle body. driving down the freeway it went sudenly into "limp' mode with the wrench lite on but would fix itself with shutoff and re-start. had the TB assembly replaced and no problem since. Turned out to be a defective TP sensor and the computer didn't like it...
Old 04-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Dreamer

It is auto and I don't believe they changed the fuel filter. On some makes & models the fuel filter is part of the fuel punp but I am not sure about a 05 Mustang.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:42 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dreamer

When stopping and then taking off again the car will hesitate and take off again and won't do it again until I drive at highway speed for awhile and stop again. I have had the fuel pump replaced last year due to a TSB. (supposedlyair bubbles)Now it's doing it again. Dealer is stumped. I have gone back and looked thru 70 pages of post and can't find an answer. I know we have talked about this at some point.Can somebody who has had this problem tell me what has to be done to correct this. Thanks
Hey Dreamer,

I've got the SAME problem.

Replaced the pump and I still have the problem.

I've tried keeping the gas pressed slightly coming to a stop (or not stopping) and manually shifting into 1st to keep the RPMs up, but it still does it.

Left a few nice black strips once after it came back on at the end of the ramp!

Let me know if you find any more info out.

SOHC
Old 04-03-2007, 01:45 PM
billybix76
2nd Gear Member

The fuel filter NEEDS to be changed every 15K. It is located under the drivers side of the car right about where you sit behind a plastic cover that has three bolts and a push tab panel connector. You will need a ford filter disconnect tool. (cheap at any parts store) to get it off. the new filter just snaps into place easily on the two fuel lines. The hardest part is getting the plastic cover piece far enough off to actually get to the filter. before you start, depressurize the fuel system first by either pulling the fuel pump fuse or popping loose the fuel shut off switch with a screw driver (located behind the front passenger outside right kick panel on the firewall) and then turn the starter till the engine runs out of fuel pressure, even then you will get some pressurized fuel squirting on you when you disconnect the filer, so be ready. There is a diagram on the forums somewhere on location and set up of the filter area.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Dreamer

Thanks billybix76, I will let the dealer do it because he should have done that when they replaced the fuel pump, right!

SOHCman, I will post the results when it is fixed. Be patient, it might be a couple of weeks.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:12 PM
billybix76
2nd Gear Member

The would not have replaced the filer unless you asked them to or a TSB stated they had to. You would have seen it on the repair order and bill. Filters are not warranty items...
Old 04-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Dreamer

Well, if it's part of my problem, they might?
Old 04-03-2007, 02:40 PM
billybix76
2nd Gear Member

50-50 chance. Most dealers would charge you for the air you use in the store if they could. I have seen one instance where a dealer shop replaced a fuel filter without the customer pre-approval and they tried to charge him for it afterwords...They will not do it for free.

Unfortunately our car computers do not seem to monitor fuel pressure well if at all. If anything they will throw a 'pre-code' which will not trigger the trouble light but be in a layer of memory that sometimes only the dealer readers can interperet. so unless they needed to change it to "fix" the problem in internal shop procedures they would have ignored it...

If you ask them to replace it just in principle , you will still be ahead. And if the problem continues you will have eliminated a major possibility...
Old 04-04-2007, 01:01 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

here is the pdf file on the location of the fuel filter

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...el%20lines.pdf

Quick Reply: Hesitation after driving on the freeway