Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Are Duals Worth it

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Green Machine 123
2nd Gear Member

Default Are Duals Worth it

Well i put a post on earlier about getting a single gt take off muffler for 20 bucks ...i went back today to grab the left side aswell...i figured why go half way...so my question to all the people who swapped to duals with gt takeoffs or any other mufflers was it worth it and do u like the results and is there any drone or anything u would do differently...i am getting Joe Dasilva from J&P performance to fab it up for me some of u guys might of heard of them...
Old 04-04-2007, 08:24 PM
TheBlackPearl
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Are Duals Worth it

I love my duals.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Green Machine 123
2nd Gear Member

u have a pic or sound clip?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:12 PM
06 Pony
1st Gear Member

I like the look of the duals to compared to just a single exhaust. I have GT takeoffs on mine and I love the sound, it has a nice rumble at idle and does not have the drone at highway speeds.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:43 PM
fitbikeco
3rd Gear Member

power wise duals are not worth it when your NA
im keeping my MRT untill i go FI
then i dunno maybe some duals
Old 04-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Pantera72
4th Gear Member

I love the look and sound of my duals. However, they are addictive and I am starting to crave more loudness. I've heard quite a bit about how running duals on a v6 reduces backpressure enough so that the car can actually lose power, therefore I went with a inverted y-pipe type setup so that the exhaust still narrowed down into the single pipe before exiting into duals. It seems to work good, and the engine sounds so much healthier. With the single exhaust the car used to sound like it was straining during hard acceleration, but now the powerband seems so much smoother, like the car is breathing better.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:29 PM
jim01028
2nd Gear Member

That seems like a good setup. Was the inverted Y pipe a custom fab or did you buy it ready to use?

ORIGINAL: Pantera72

I love the look and sound of my duals. However, they are addictive and I am starting to crave more loudness. I've heard quite a bit about how running duals on a v6 reduces backpressure enough so that the car can actually lose power, therefore I went with a inverted y-pipe type setup so that the exhaust still narrowed down into the single pipe before exiting into duals. It seems to work good, and the engine sounds so much healthier. With the single exhaust the car used to sound like it was straining during hard acceleration, but now the powerband seems so much smoother, like the car is breathing better.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Pantera72
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jim01028

That seems like a good setup. Was the inverted Y pipe a custom fab or did you buy it ready to use?

Yeah, it was somewhat custom. I supplied the two GT takeoff mufflers and the GT takeoff left side over-axle pipe. All the shop had to do was install it all and splice in a pice of pipe from the end of the over-axle pipe to the other side.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:50 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Yeah, it was somewhat custom. I supplied the two GT takeoff mufflers and the GT takeoff left side over-axle pipe. All the shop had to do was install it all and splice in a pice of pipe from the end of the over-axle pipe to the other side.
So basically like all the FWD imports with rear duals run their exhaust? You think a larger cat to Y junction pipe would help with making it a bit louder?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:00 AM
tilt
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I do not think this is really a dual setup (just looks like one). Why didn't you run a pipe from the cats?

ORIGINAL: jim01028

Quick Reply: Are Duals Worth it