Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

tinted windows....

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:42 PM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

Default tinted windows....

so i've been looking at getting my windows tinted and a few of the shops told me about getting the felt done. i have read the posts on here regarding that too. when i talked to a guy at one of the top tinting places here in san diego, he told me putting felt would be worse and it'd be better to go without felt.

i was wondering if anyone tinted their windows and did not put felt and if it scratched. the guy basically told me that the felt will grab bigger particles and its harder to clean than without. any ideas?
Old 04-05-2007, 05:13 PM
LisaJ429
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: tinted windows....

i had mine tinted (twice - first time there was dirt in the tint at no cost) and don't have the felt and they are scratched to hell. you can't see it from outside of the car, thankfully. i am ordering a moleskin kit to install and then will have to pay to have them retinted for the third time.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:13 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

It will scratch without felt. It's not dirt that is scratching the windows..

ORIGINAL: sdsguy

so i've been looking at getting my windows tinted and a few of the shops told me about getting the felt done. i have read the posts on here regarding that too. when i talked to a guy at one of the top tinting places here in san diego, he told me putting felt would be worse and it'd be better to go without felt.

i was wondering if anyone tinted their windows and did not put felt and if it scratched. the guy basically told me that the felt will grab bigger particles and its harder to clean than without. any ideas?
Old 04-05-2007, 05:20 PM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

I had an 05 and mine were scratched, now I have an 07 and am about to tint, does anyone know if it was just an 05, 06 problem, because thats what I have heard
Old 04-05-2007, 05:51 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I bought my 07 in Oct. The tint is already scratched.

ORIGINAL: v6VenoM

I had an 05 and mine were scratched, now I have an 07 and am about to tint, does anyone know if it was just an 05, 06 problem, because thats what I have heard
Old 04-05-2007, 06:13 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=55905Check this out, easy to do and i've had no problem with mine. heres a pic

Old 04-05-2007, 06:13 PM
billybix76
2nd Gear Member

Felt install are a must IMO. when I had mine done the 3M rep and installer with 20+ years of tint install, swore that non felted window seal will wear and scratch the poly film sooner rather than later and although not a perfect solution they said the felt would keep the film cleaner much longer. I also saw exmaples of both on 2+ year old jobs on two cars in the lot, and as far as i could tell they were right.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:36 PM
deutscherstang
I ♥ Acer

i have 20% and have had no problems at all
Old 04-06-2007, 02:10 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Going to get mine tinted pretty soon as well, already been checking around; definately get the felt done because you will regret going without.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:11 AM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

aight thanks guys. i'm going to have another talking with this guy.

how much dide you guys all pay? i was looking to do 5 windows, limo tint on back 3 with just a bit on my passenger and driver doors. that dude was going to charge me 200 for just the tint, but i got quoted by other people for 100 some for just the tint, and another 65 for each door to put the felt in. was this guy trying to rip me off?

Quick Reply: tinted windows....