Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Newbie: Tire, Rims and Shifter suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 09:44 PM
furie

Default Newbie: Tire, Rims and Shifter suggestions?

Just purchased a 05 vert two weeks ago and I'm already looking towards my first mods.

I'm leaning towards getting a steeda tri-ax short shifter.
Anyone have any experience with installation on a 05-07 v6? Hard/Easy?

Also, looking to pick up some new tires (maybe rims) in a couple of months, any suggestions?
I still have stock 16" rims.
Would going larger (17"-18" rims) show a handling/performance gain? I'm not planning on taking this to the track, just looking for a better handling/performance.
Or can I just go with a wider with the tires, maybe 225s or 235s and tell a difference?

I live in SC, don't get much ice/snow, but definitely get plenty of rain.
I've seen good reviews for the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. Looking for a good-looking high performance summer tire that still gets around in wet conditions really well.

Thank you in advance to all that respond.

2005 Mustang Convertible V6...stock for now
Old 04-07-2007, 11:43 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: Newbie: Tire, Rims and Shifter suggestions?

ORIGINAL: furie

Just purchased a 05 vert two weeks ago and I'm already looking towards my first mods.

I'm leaning towards getting a steeda tri-ax short shifter.
Anyone have any experience with installation on a 05-07 v6? Hard/Easy?

Also, looking to pick up some new tires (maybe rims) in a couple of months, any suggestions?
I still have stock 16" rims.
Would going larger (17"-18" rims) show a handling/performance gain? I'm not planning on taking this to the track, just looking for a better handling/performance.
Or can I just go with a wider with the tires, maybe 225s or 235s and tell a difference?

I live in SC, don't get much ice/snow, but definitely get plenty of rain.
I've seen good reviews for the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. Looking for a good-looking high performance summer tire that still gets around in wet conditions really well.

Thank you in advance to all that respond.

2005 Mustang Convertible V6...stock for now
First off, WELCOME TO MF!!!

I upgraded to 17" polished Bullittts with stock size Pirelli P-Zeros on my 05 vert. It made a huge difference on wet and dry roads. Those stock 16" BFG's flat out stink, IMO.

I haven't done the shifter yet in my coupe, but the shifter install seems pretty straight-forward if you're good with a wrench.A CAI and tune (using a handheld tuner) will wake up your car, and should be high on your mod list.

Post pics when you can...

Bill Jr.
28HopUp
Old 04-09-2007, 01:52 AM
furie

Thank you for the suggestions 28HopUp.
I agree that a good tune will 'wake up' my car, so I'm planning on getting a good C&L CAI and tuner.

RPM outlet has a good bundle called the "Big Air / Tuner Kit" going for a reasonable $529.
I'll probably go with the C&L CAI, but I still have a choice between a Predator or a SCT Livewire tuner - Any suggestions which one is better?

Once I get a tuner, I'll upgrade my rims and tires soon after.

Hope to get some pics together soon to post.

Thanks again!!
Old 04-09-2007, 01:57 PM
boomerman
1st Gear Member

The Steeda Tri ax does not work on the 05-07 V6 Mustangs.
Your only choice is a Hurst shifter or look at the Saleen Short shifter block, that way you can use your stock shifter if you want.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:29 AM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

regarding the tires, i have 17" bullit rims on mine wrapped with pirelli pzero nero 235's. i love them. great grip on fast turns, i always feel comfortable whether be in rain or heat (i'm in san diego so thats all i get), and they're pretty quiet. if you check out like tirerack.com, put in your rim size and it will tell you the type of tires that will fit your rim. it also gives reviews of the tires. i saw mine on there and agreed with the reviews.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:29 PM
droptop6
2nd Gear Member

The tire size isn't going to hurt performance as long as you stay with a light weight wheel and try to stay as close to the stock height of 27.3in as possible.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:46 AM
furie

ORIGINAL: droptop6

The tire size isn't going to hurt performance as long as you stay with a light weight wheel and try to stay as close to the stock height of 27.3in as possible.
I love your setup droptop6!! Actually, we have the same car, well....not really, yours is nicer since modded, but my 05 vert is the same color, black with black leather interior.

How big are your rims and what is your tire size. Looks like 20inchers?
Once you went larger did you notice better control/handling?
How's the gas mileage since going larger?

Also, love to find out all of your other mods under the hood.
Love the scoop, pully covers and hood liners, everything under the hoods looks mint!!
Keep up the good work!! Now I'm really inspired!!

Thank you again for responding....

furie
Old 04-16-2007, 01:48 AM
furie

ORIGINAL: boomerman

The Steeda Tri ax does not work on the 05-07 V6 Mustangs.
Your only choice is a Hurst shifter or look at the Saleen Short shifter block, that way you can use your stock shifter if you want.

Thanks boomerman, good to know.
Do you have personal experience with either the Hurst or Saleen Short shifter block installation.
Any other feedback regarding either would be appreciated.
I'm ordering the CAI and tune first, and then will probably do a T-lok and shifter at the same time.

Thanks again!! Mustang forums is great!!

furie
Old 04-16-2007, 01:53 AM
furie

ORIGINAL: sdsguy

regarding the tires, i have 17" bullit rims on mine wrapped with pirelli pzero nero 235's. i love them. great grip on fast turns, i always feel comfortable whether be in rain or heat (i'm in san diego so thats all i get), and they're pretty quiet. if you check out like tirerack.com, put in your rim size and it will tell you the type of tires that will fit your rim. it also gives reviews of the tires. i saw mine on there and agreed with the reviews.
Thanks sdsguy!!
I've been looking at getting some take-offs with the pzero's. Good to hear that they are good performing tires in wet conditions. It just downpoured this morning and I was driving with my the TA's and I think they are ok if you drive slowly, but aren't the best performers.

I hope to upgrade soon to larger rims and better tires, but since my TA's still have about 80% tread, I might just wait until I've gotten the CAI, tune, shifter and T-lok before upgrading and get some more miles out of these.

Thanks again for the response!!

furie
Old 04-16-2007, 02:16 AM
OZ_Tambo
1st Gear Member

I am also with SDS guy.... the 17 with pzero rock..... I think he is coping me he even lives in San Deigo...............

Have fun with ya ride.... Where are the pics....