Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

. Better clutch performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 01:16 AM
harlanb1
1st Gear Member

Default . Better clutch performance

Ok,
My clutch has been driving me nuts. The clutch would start to engage about a 1/4 of the distance from the floor.
It would only partially engage untill the clutch was almost all the way let out. The Last 1/4 of the throw, it would do most
of the engagement. This made starting out from a stop hard to do smoothly.
I have been looking all over on how to change how the clutch reacted. Unfortunatly the mustan clutches are hydraulic and
not adjustable. I did read a couple of posts on bleeding the hydraulic clutch.
The posts say that you can bleed the hydraulic clutch by lifting the front of the car 8 inches from the ground,
then very slowly pump the clutch up and down fully, taking about 5 sec to push and and 5 sec to lit it out.
Tonight after work I drove my car to a steep hill nearby. I parked facing the front of the car up the hill and bleed the clutch.
My clutch is much better now. it starts to engage at about the same spot, but it now fully engages about 1/2 way now.
The engagement is much linear now. I must have had some air in my lines.
You think Ford would be a little better about bleeding the systems on the production line.
Makes me think that I should bleed the brakes.
Any way, I hope this helps some of you fellow stick shifters.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:24 PM
tilt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: . Better clutch performance

cool, i will have to give that a try
Old 04-13-2007, 03:34 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

cool im gonna try that out, thanks alot for posting this. I have the same feeling you had, i have to just let it slip like crazy and give it more gas than i would like for a start from a stop to be smooth and i feel like im just wearing away my clutch like crazy doing that, so i will have to try this out, thanks again!
Old 04-13-2007, 05:00 PM
JochenHeiden
1st Gear Member

Can you give me additional instructions? My car is brand new 2007 and with the exception of reverse gear everything seems to occur near the top of the clutch travel. there is much takeup and very little to work with some occasionally I give it too much gas.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:39 AM
tilt
2nd Gear Member

Well I followed the instructions............and Holy **** what a difference now. I have owned a stick before, but neverknew this little trick. What caused the need to bleed?

I bought my car with 20k on it andthought the clutch maybe was just a littleworn out due toabuse from previous user it would squeak a little when I started from a stop sometimes. If i did not push the clutch down to thefloor (and evensometimes then) it would also be a little tuff to get it into gear, had to ram it in like the clutch was not completly disingaged. Now it works great. instead of the whole petalto ingage, now it is like 1/3 of the petal height.

Thanks a lotfor this!!!s
Old 04-14-2007, 01:03 AM
harlanb1
1st Gear Member

jochen,
If you do a search in the forums for clutch and bleed, you will find detailed instructions.
However, I will try to explain it better.
Remember, This is what I have read on the forum. I cannot explain why this works.
You need to lift the front of the car so that it is about 8 inches higher than the rear of the car.
I just parked on a steep hill with the front pointing up the hill.
Then you slowly push the clutch pedal to the floor. It should take about 5 sec to push it to the floor.
Then you slowly let up on the clutch pedal until it is all the way up. Repeat this process for 5 min.

It helped out my clutch greatly.
Thanks for the great feedback! I am glad that I was able to post something that was helpful to a few people
Old 04-14-2007, 01:41 AM
tilt
2nd Gear Member

Yep it is that easy, just takes a hill and 10 seconds