Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

x-pipe and MAgnaflows installed and wow!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:13 AM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

Default x-pipe and MAgnaflows installed and wow!

I had single axle back Magnaflow for the past year and like it. I was keeping away from duel exhaust because I was afraid to loose the low end torque and figured that the gain will be the same but boy was I wrong.
I got the second 2.25in pipe added with identical Magnaflow muffler and matching tips. The tech at the muffler shop also fabricated custom X-pipe for me (took him a while). Cost me $325 for the whole setup. H-pipe is $50 cheaper and sounds louder but x-pipe supposed to provide better performance.
Well, I picked my Stang up late this morning and took her for a run. She sounds nice and mellow. In fact the mufflers sound smoother than with an axle back. I get a nice low mellow sound of a GT. On the freeway above 70mph I used to get a loud tone and inside would start vibrating. Now, with the duels, I can go over 85 with no annoying sound and nothing vibrates on inside :-)
Performance wise, Stang accelerates a lot better from stop and seems to want to rev higher than before. If with an axle back I had a possible gain of 5rwhp, with duel magnaflows and an X-pipe I feel like I've gained another 10hp. I've checked some folks dynos of before and after and the posted numbers are 13rwhp gain compared to stock so I would not be surprised if I've gained 5-7rwhp over axle back.
My displayed mpg also went up from 30mpg going 70 to 31.5. I'll need a week of driving to confirm though.
My current mods are C&L cold intake (true cold intake with completely isolated filter from underhood heat getting through and 4"hose routed from lower front grill to air filter), X-cal with 91 tune, JBL plug wires, light aluminum driveshaft, LCA's, Royal Purple in 5 speed manual trany and RP engine oil. I also have oversized front and rear sway bars and GT wheels. And now, duel exhaust with x-pipe. I probably put out 240+ hp at the cranck and over 210rwhp and possibly over 260tq at cranck.
One day I'll get her dyno once I find a low price shop that can do it for me :-) 0-60 in 6sec or less for a vert.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:01 AM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: x-pipe and MAgnaflows installed and wow!

sweet. i probably going to switch to duels down the line as well. =)
Old 04-27-2007, 11:02 AM
S1ckStang
2nd Gear Member

do you have a gt bumper cover? or did you have to cut a hole in the bumper to notch out for second pipe? i have been shy to the duals because i wasnt ready to do that myself but i am going to attempt it this summer jsut curious if you had to ir if it possiblie it will clear.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:02 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

I just cut the bumper cover. It is very easy to cut. I love my extra power and can accelerate better in 5th gear now.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:17 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thatstang
On the freeway above 70mph I used to get a loud tone and inside would start vibrating. Now, with the duels, I can go over 85 with no annoying sound and nothing vibrates on inside :-)
Hahaha! I know what you mean!

I have the Pypes setup with "X" pipe and they definitely vibrate the Hell outta ya if you keep a steady pedal! Over 85 they quiet down as well.

+1 on the gas mileage! I hit 31.4 average yesterday.

Today I am down to 30.6 cuz I was hittin' 85 part of the way.

I also eliminated the "bogging" issue I had after the "long cruise", there's a TSB out there for a new fuel pump... that didn't fix it, but the duals did!

Love it.

SOHC
Old 04-28-2007, 12:42 AM
FBullitt
1st Gear Member

If possible makea video of a takeoff with your dual magnaflows with x pipe.

ORIGINAL: thatstang

I just cut the bumper cover. It is very easy to cut. I love my extra power and can accelerate better in 5th gear now.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:24 AM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

To change subject... What did you do to airfilter inlet? Some pictures if possible. THANK YOU!
Old 04-28-2007, 04:19 AM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and try to upload them but basically, I used the special silver tape which is used on Home Heating ducts and taped it around the plastic cover which encloses the filter. I also wraped the C&L intake with special thermal material that I had left over (I was installing heating ducts in house and had a lot of material left ower for covering ducts to keep heat from escaping and in this case, I am keeping heat out of my Intake) . Also to get more air flowing towards my Open element air filter, I drilled 3/4 in holes in the right side of the grill since there were none (also adds more air while cruising on the freeway. Not as good as Ram air but every little bit helps). One more thing that I added which is probably an overkill is a 4 " Dryer vent hose (left over parts) and routed it from lower front grill to where the Air Filter is. So my Air Filter is getting plenty of outside cold air and Intake stays fairly cool which results in extra 2-3hp for free. For every 10F of temperature reduction .5-1% increase in hp. Thats why on a cool day you'll generally get a better 1/4 mile run.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:24 AM
OZ_Tambo
1st Gear Member

I put Duals on ...................I went with JBA's as I wanted the sound.... But I agree with everything.... Kicks ***...........................Enjoy............I think it looks better with the GT take off and you only cost 150-300 bucks....

Old 04-28-2007, 04:24 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

here are some pictures that I just took. Hope it make sense. I also took a picture of x-pipe but it is dark.

[IMG]local://upfiles/31806/EE557FA13261408EB20C6D46D1004B37.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/31806/262243C5D29F40F78D95D4F43C2FC8B0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/31806/B9A01526D0974B24A4C730E4507EBF14.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: x-pipe and MAgnaflows installed and wow!