Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

87 octane tune

Old 04-28-2007, 02:42 AM
JumpinJackFlash
1st Gear Member

Default 87 octane tune

Hey guys, new member here. I actually joined to use the search function but this question wasn't answered in any threads I looked at.

I will be purchasing a 2007 V6 vert in about 10 or so days and I want to buy a CAI/tune as my first upgrade. I am looking at the Brenspeed tune with J&T intake. Question is if there is any appreciable difference between an 87 tune versus a 91/93 tune? Also is an 87 tune much of an improvement (with the CAI) over the stock?
Old 04-28-2007, 03:08 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 87 octane tune

Not sure but I personally would run the better fuel for your cars sake lol. I would think higher octane is better when dyno tuning comes into play. So you most likely will getmore out of a higher octane. I might not be a "holy ****e" dif but every little bit helps.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:13 AM
JumpinJackFlash
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ricklmesa@***.net

Not sure but I personally would run the better fuel for your cars sake lol. I would think higher octane is better when dyno tuning comes into play. So you most likely will getmore out of a higher octane. I might not be a "holy ****e" dif but every little bit helps.
I don't plan on racing this car, I just want to be as efficient as possible. Also the CAI adds nice sound to the car.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:15 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i use the the 91 tune just for peace of mind but not sure on the actual difference on the dyno. if cost of gas is an issue for you, i would stick with an 87 tune. i doubt itsa "huge" diff from the 91/93 and anything is better than stock.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:40 AM
tenchi71

I don't know...
My Seat of the Pants Dyno tells me there is a huge difference between my 87/Perf tune and my 93/Torque and Perf tunes from Doug. My GF thinks so too. She noticed the difference and she had no idea i dropped it to the lower tune. I'm now wondering what his Race tune will feel like.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Justin00Stang
2nd Gear Member

There is a decent difference between the 87 and premium fuel power gains. We were able to get a slightly mileage improvement with premium due to the additional timing, so that helped offset the additional cost of fuel.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:10 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

There is a huge difference between stock and CAI + tune... not as big of a difference between 87 and 91/93. I am now trying the 91 octane tune from brenspeed.. and it seems to pull a little harder and longer.. but it has been raining here so I can't push it. I had some problems with the 93 tune.. knocking and lack of performance. The 91 took care of it.

I would start witht eh 87. You will have the 87 and 93 tunes loaded on the xcal.. you can always switch. If you have problems with the 93 just email them and ask for the 91 via email. Worked for me.

I'm interested in trying some other tuners too. The torque tune from doug sounds interesting.

ORIGINAL: JumpinJackFlash

Hey guys, new member here. I actually joined to use the search function but this question wasn't answered in any threads I looked at.

I will be purchasing a 2007 V6 vert in about 10 or so days and I want to buy a CAI/tune as my first upgrade. I am looking at the Brenspeed tune with J&T intake. Question is if there is any appreciable difference between an 87 tune versus a 91/93 tune? Also is an 87 tune much of an improvement (with the CAI) over the stock?
Old 05-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Britinastang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JumpinJackFlash

Question is if there is any appreciable difference between an 87 tune versus a 91/93 tune? Also is an 87 tune much of an improvement (with the CAI) over the stock?
Absolutely. There is a huge diff when adding a CAI & tune. The car wakes up in so many areas, especially for autos. Shifts are smoother, power goes down better and there is more hp...not neck snapping but noticeable in my experience.

I just switched into my 93 tune after running 87 exclusively for 7 months. I love it! I mean this really made a diff for me. I can;t believe I never tried it. The power goes down ultra smooth, no more stupid gear changes, very little hesitation. Just all aorund better feel to the car. Plus my mpg has improved from an average 22.5 to 24.5 (mixed) which pretty much offsets the extra cost of the gas. I ain't going back to 87, this is too much fun!
Old 05-05-2007, 11:25 AM
NewtoStangs
1st Gear Member

Is there any mileage gain with a 87 tune over stock? I am getting a tuner this week and was just planning on going with 87 tune because of cost of gas, but you guys are saying higher octane tunes get better mileage and it offsets cost of gas, guess it depends on how much better mpg you get to offset 20 cent per gallon difference from 87 to 93, around here (N.E. Ohio) there is no 91 ocatne that I see where I buy gas it goes 87, 89 and 93.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:12 PM
tenchi71

With my car at least, while driving the car in a way to conserve fuel (ie. not wailing on it, which I like to do), on the 87 Perf I get about 22-23 MPG Highway. With the 93 Perf tune I have gotten as high as 28-29 MPG Highway, but usually around 27 MPG. This is according to to the readout on the dash.I haven't done a real mathamatical test of this yet,so "your milagemay vary"... hehehe...

There wasn't much of a gain inMPG between stock and the 87 Perf tunes. If i remember right, I may have even lost a mile or two per gallon goingto the 87 tune. But that was probably because I was having a bit of fun with the new tune.

ORIGINAL: NewtoStangs

Is there any mileage gain with a 87 tune over stock? I am getting a tuner this week and was just planning on going with 87 tune because of cost of gas, but you guys are saying higher octane tunes get better mileage and it offsets cost of gas, guess it depends on how much better mpg you get to offset 20 cent per gallon difference from 87 to 93, around here (N.E. Ohio) there is no 91 ocatne that I see where I buy gas it goes 87, 89 and 93.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 87 octane tune