Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Eclipse GT vs. Stang V6

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 05:34 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default Eclipse GT vs. Stang V6

Alright guys... I need some help. I came to my V6 brethren looking for some answer and for yall to enlighten me and a friend. My friend is the market for a new car and these are the 2 he has narrowed it down to, the Mustang V6, and the Eclipse GT. I need some info because frankly, I know nothing about either car and neither does he. As much as I want him to get a Mustang so we can cruise around, I want him to get a good deal as well. Id rather see him drive a different car than waste money on something he doesnt need ya know? So basically what I need from you guys is reasons why he should/shouldnt get each car... and please no stuff like "Because its a Mustang". Hes not all into the whole "Its a Mustang, so I have to worship it." thing. Logical arguments are the only thing that is going to fly and help convince him. Please be honest now guys... Any problems with the V6 Stang he should know about? How well does it respond to mods/does it have alot of bang for the buck mods etc? Any optional stuff that he shouldnt get because its a waste of money/hell be replacing etc? Anything else you think he should know about either car would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:41 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Eclipse GT vs. Stang V6

Show him these two links for comparison. One is for the Mustang (All) and the other is for the Eclipse;

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Sp...&trimid=-1

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Sp...&trimid=-1
Old 05-03-2007, 05:48 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Well, from what I felt about the V6 stang is that it is a pretty decent car if you want a sport-ish car. It has a nice amount of torque, and it is just flat out fun to drive. It responds pretty well to mods. It is pretty easy to bring it up to 210rwhp and 250tq, which is not too bad for power to the ground. However, I know that the eclipse comes with a pretty good engine, making 250hp. My only issue with the mustang (GT/V6) is the leather, it is crappy, and if not takes care of a lot, will look like poo. I am not too sure about the eclipse, I know it can beat a bone stock V6 mustang in a drag race, but who knows with mods and what not. Another thing that he will want to take into account is that the V6 has an open differential, if I knew that before getting the car, I would have probably wound up with something else.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:17 PM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

unless the eclipse has changed a lot, last i heard its a tin can. i honestly don't know about this new body style, but i know the older ones would provide no support and if you crashed, you were gone. the mustangs have a significantly safer construction, and if you get it optioned correctly, you can get the side curtain airbags. also, i checked out that link, and a v6 mustang is cheaper then the eclipse GT. there was a thread around here some where where the v6 stang was #1 car for under 20 grand.

now personally, i would choose a mustang because i would never own a mitsubishi. i like domestics and this body style is just amazing. i love the looks of the mustang over the eclipse. with mustangs theres alsoa plethora of things to do. its easy to make well over 300 RWhp by simply adding a supercharger for like 5 grand, probably the difference between an eclipse GT and base mustang.

problems with the stang...the tranny if he goes manual is kinda lacking, don't get a shaker sound system....spend that money on a new system. other than that, i really have nothing against the car.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:55 PM
JWpony07
1st Gear Member

If your friend is interested in modding a mustang is the way to go. There are few cars that have mods as readily available to them as mustangs do. There are countless sites and shops that specialize in mustangs alone. Makes things much easier instead of dealing with the frustration of finding a place that is even compatible with your car.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:07 PM
pperin
I ♥ Acer

I had a 1990 Eclipse turbo and I must say that thing pulled HARD and keped pulling till you said uncle!
I don't know how they are making them now I did like mine alot but as another poster pointed out our Mustangs are easly modded to whatever we want them to be the retro look is awesome and the car is an all around looker and reasonably priced. I still prefer my Mustang but that's why I'm here.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:26 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Years ago, I wanted an Eclipse GT. I went to a few dealers and they all talked me out of buying one. They said honestly, I would never let my daughter/wife drive this car. Not safe if you crashed, very undependable, and engines are known for getting a knock or blowing after a heavy load. If he's gonna fork up $25K for an Eclipse GT, he might as well buy a Mustang GT. But if wants safety, reliability, and a better looking/turning heads car, get a Mustang V6 if anything. I remember years ago, Mitsubishi dealerships shut down all over northern/central California where I live because of unhappy customers and poor sales. Just something to think about. Mustangis definitely a great, east, fairly affordable car to mod too. I've been one on one with an 2006 Eclipse GT and either it was the driver or the car does not push the HP it claims, but I was equal with it off the line and lost him at 40 mph. I have exhaust and a K&N air filter, that's it. Then again, HP isn't everything. Torque is what you want to look it, and the V6 has the Eclipse beat on that.

But like I said, if you're friend is willing to spend that much money on the Eclipse he should just buy a GT that would smoke it bone stock no prob
Old 05-03-2007, 08:02 PM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

We own an Eagle Talon TSI (sister car to the Eclipse) It's AWD and turbo car other than wheels and tires this car 100% stock. We also own a V6 Mustang and it is also 100% stock besides rims and tires. The Talon has 100K miles the Mustang 15Kand in a drag race and gas mileage the Talon isthe clear winner. Reliablity? Well our Talon has been VERY reliable to date! I can't comment on the crash test but I'm sure those results are avalible on the web if one were to look. I have played with the new Eclipse while in the Talon and andit stayed behind me until almost 95 ( I assume more HP and better aerodynamics is why he was pulling on me from 60 or so) He was VERY surprized it was a stock 4 cylinder spanking him (never lead on it was turbo) I'm NOT up to speed so to speak on the new style Eclipse (2000+) But I have seen some for sale locally ad I was VERY surprized how cheap they were! I hope thatour Mustangs will bring more money then that when it's 3 years old IF we were to try and sell it!
I also know even though it's cramped the rear seat in the Mustang is WAY roomier than the Talon! The Mustang rides much better (as it should it's NEW!) I like the style of the Mustang better.
I guess to give opinions we would need to know what the reason is thathe is buying it.
Now IF I were tobe in the position to buy a new car and theEclipse and the v6 Mustang were my choices, I would have to go withANOTHER Mustang.

Again to clairify my opinions and experence is based on the '95-'99 Talon (AWD & Turbo)
Old 05-03-2007, 10:37 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Well i'll brake it down for ya here since i looked at pretty much every car in the neighboring classes before i bought this one. FWD vs RWD = rwd is alot more fun, but A LOT worse in the winter. Keep that in mind. The eclipse gt has torque steer like crazy, but is quite a bit quicker than a stock 4.0, but again for the price difference, the 4.0 can be quite a bit quicker than the eclipse, so if he intends to mod, he shouldn't even really look at the speed cause for the same price, they will both be very equal. The interior of the eclipse is a bit nicer, but less roomy. The eclipse has some great power stock so if he doesn't intend to mod, performance wise it is the winner. Mitsubishi has never had a good reliability track record, and they still don't have great reliability, but hey, it's not terrible. He should really just drive both because they both have strong points and weak points. BTW if he intends to do major mods like forced induction, the 4.0 is best because it is much lower compression and handles boost like a champ.

for the guys talking about dsm's....some of the best bang for buck cars in a long time were dsm's, but the second gens had major crankwalk issues which makes them basically good looking yard poop at high mileage, but they had real strong internals and tons of potential. I beleive they use the 4g63, which is essentially the same engine that the current evo's and the past evo's have used besides the new mivec...great GREAT engines. Are you sure your talon is stock though, cause even the awd tsi's and gsx's were high 14 second cars, well driven, and the new eclipse gt's are can run low 14's...maybe he didnt really know how to launch very well.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:08 PM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

the eclipse gtis a nice looking car with a decent power plant. but like mentioned earlier. if he wanted to spend $25k on a car it's better to do an eclipse gt and mustang gt comparison. mustang would win hands down, from looks, safety, power, and maybe dare i say... reliability. lol.

the eclipse gt and the stang v6are not ona level playing field. the eclipse gt is around 5k more and has a stronger powerplant.both have great styling, one's retro and the other i'd like to call modern/futuristic. the stang has the edge though, because it's just more head turning and eye catching than the eclipse. but that's all subjective to opinion.

as formodification is concerned both will have strong footholds in the aftermarket. the stang can reach 210rwhp with just the regular bolt ons. i don't know about the eclipse, but the aftermarket will be good to it. and this plays a huge factor rwd > fwd. the eclipse may be more powerful, but with that powerful motor it's just a powerful fwd car, trying to play catch up with other powerful rwd cars.

on a 20k budget, the stang is the obvious choice. it's also the fastest car of 2007 in the sub 20k category. and i'm sure that title will stick for a while. with a 25k budget there is just so much better you can do than an eclipse gt. granted, it's a nice car. but you canget more car for your money w/ 25k, like the stang gt.

Quick Reply: Eclipse GT vs. Stang V6