Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Synthetic Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 01:59 AM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Synthetic Motor Oil

It depends on the filter you get .Hasting, wix, amsoil filters are among the best you can buy and are high quality as are SOME brand name filters. Fram filters are among the worst .
Old 05-06-2007, 03:59 AM
linesma
2nd Gear Member

I have used synthetic oil in my cars since the mid 80's. I was first exposed to it while living in Europe, where at the time it was a little cheaper than a good quality oil. The old saw about synthetic oil destroying seals is a bunch of crap. That my have been true when synthetics first came out, because they where made from oil shale that had a high sulfer content, but not any more. Mobil 1 is a good choice. I perfer the Castrol product myself. Just find a brand you like and go for it.

Mark

Old 05-06-2007, 10:36 AM
NewtoStangs
1st Gear Member

OK guys, I bought my car used had 18500 miles and has regular oil in it from the dealer, I have not had to change oil yet but have been thinking of going synthetic, if I do then I should not go back to regular? How much is Mobil 1 a quart?

Old 05-06-2007, 11:36 AM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

Once you go with synthetic, don't go back.
Cost per quart of Mobil 1 varies - generally $4-6.
Royal Purple and Redline are more expensive, but not as easy to find (I get my Mobil at Wally World when it's on sale).
Most important - use a good filter (Motorcraft filters are actually very good and easy to find).

ORIGINAL: NewtoStangs

OK guys, I bought my car used had 18500 miles and has regular oil in it from the dealer, I have not had to change oil yet but have been thinking of going synthetic, if I do then I should not go back to regular? How much is Mobil 1 a quart?

Old 05-06-2007, 02:12 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kuli

My car is still new so I havnt had to change the oil yet. My dad recommends putting Mobil 1 in it for the entirety of its life. Anyone have any opinions on Mobil 1?

Might want to rethink that. I change out my breakin oil at 500 miles. I feel the need to get out any residual mould sand, and breakin filings that may be doing some wear.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:16 AM
NewtoStangs
1st Gear Member

How long do you guys using synthnic go between oil changes? I see that Mobil one says 7500 to 10,000if you go that long do you still need to change filters more often?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:29 AM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NewtoStangs

How long do you guys using synthnic go between oil changes? I see that Mobil one says 7500 to 10,000if you go that long do you still need to change filters more often?
Yes.

If you go 10,000 on your oil you should look into changing your filter at 5k. I would also recommend at least a little fresh oilwith thefilter change. Be sure to check your oil level often.

I have Mobil 1 and plan to do full changes at 5k.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:40 PM
Thomas Ford
2nd Gear Member

I have used Amsoil in my Ford truck for a long time. BUT a transmission mechanic with 40+ years experience said NOT to use Amsoil tranny fluid. He has a large shop (Scotts Valley Transmissions-California) and said he has seen many failures in Trannys that had Amsoil Transmission Fluid!!
The motor oil is superb but they have'nt perfected the tranny oil!! FYI
Old 05-07-2007, 03:26 PM
billybix76
2nd Gear Member

I switched at 15K miles to Royal P front to back. My Butt Dyno and longer second gear chirp, and first time ever third gear chirp told me increase of 6-10 HP. The only oil change interval to worry about is the factory warranty one of 5,000 miles !!! using full synthetic change earlier if you need the excercise but never later!! thats long in the tooth for Dino Oil and about max I'm comfortable with for good synthetic.

It doesent really matter which of the top 5 full synthetics you use, as its mostly religion at that point(5-8$ per qt.). There is litteraly thousands of sites on the web about this or that oil and testimonials, to change or not to change. "mine is better than yours" etc. Do what makes you feel comfortable about your car and your engine and driving.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

i use mobil snynthetic and it works great. not to mention the price is nice.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Motor Oil