MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion-48/)
-   -   UD pulley (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion/285931-ud-pulley.html)

TheBlackPearl 05-07-2007 09:06 AM

UD pulley

What kind of gains would you expect out of an underdrive pulley?

heres one I was looking at

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...d=91&parent=46

jaded seconds 05-07-2007 11:00 AM

RE: UD pulley

there are mixed reviews about the UDP. you should be expecting a 5hp-10hp increase if you install. the downside is to some it can be a hard installation, some said that they haven't had any increase in power, and some said that the power comes on 30 minutes after you start your car and the worst i've heard is that some of them have caused damage to the motor, but i'm sure that's on rare occasions.

im probably still going to get a UDP though. i'm still researching on which is the best and so far i think motoblue would probably be the best one. ADP is the cheapest, that's also something to consider.

DelStang86 05-07-2007 11:46 AM

PITA install. takes forever, and you have to get the right tools (may need an air wrench to break the pulley free). I wouldn't bother, and besides, many of the people on the forums have had alternator failure issues after installing.

jettblack06 05-09-2007 12:58 AM

dunno if it really gives you an increase, never dyno'd the car...i can see where the idea of reducing the accessory drive would free up power but im not swearing to it or at it at the moment. been on about 6 months and no alternator/overheating/etc.problems either so dont be scared to do the crank udp.

jaded seconds 05-09-2007 01:23 AM

ORIGINAL: jettblack06

dunno if it really gives you an increase, never dyno'd the car...i can see where the idea of reducing the accessory drive would free up power but im not swearing to it or at it at the moment. been on about 6 months and no alternator/overheating/etc.problems either so dont be scared to do the crank udp.
did you install it or did you have a shop install it? if you installed it, how'd it go? and if a shop did, how much was the install?

chrisc 05-09-2007 05:16 AM

i got a shop to install mine, it took an hour. you shoudlnt worry about breaking anything with the crank pulley, the alt pulley can and probably will break your alternator

rmays06 05-09-2007 06:24 AM

I did the Alt pulley, works nice and it was a 15 minute install. No breakage on the alt it still works fine. I got it used for $75 and am happy with the performance I've gotten. Pauls high performance in Michigan sells them. Cheaper than the crank pulley too.

scrming 05-09-2007 10:08 AM

The crank pulley has been shown to give you 4 to 6 RWHP... a far cry from the claimed gains... Also I found that the recommended belt was to long. It ended up rubbing on my alternator cover which covered everything is rubber dust and messed up my painted cover... also found it slipped a bit...

jaded seconds 05-09-2007 10:33 AM

ORIGINAL: rmays06

I did the Alt pulley, works nice and it was a 15 minute install. No breakage on the alt it still works fine. I got it used for $75 and am happy with the performance I've gotten. Pauls high performance in Michigan sells them. Cheaper than the crank pulley too.
i found the website. do you knowhow much does he sell them for?it doesn't list the alt pulley on the site. would i have to call them?

rmays06 05-09-2007 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: jaded seconds

ORIGINAL: rmays06

i found the website. do you knowhow much does he sell them for?it doesn't list the alt pulley on the site. would i have to call them?
Ya I had to call them for the belt size when i replaced it. I asked them then why they don't have it listed he told me they are working on it. Nice people and good service just probably not the most CPU literate people.....lol
GOOD LUCK!