Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI question (best w/o tune?)

Old 05-20-2007, 06:31 AM
machina
1st Gear Member

Default CAI question (best w/o tune?)

Now that i'm just finishing up my exterior touches to my stang, i'm getting started on things under the hood. I'm thinking about going with a CAI but i'm wondering, which is the best to go with to get the best gains WITHOUT having to get a tune?
Old 05-20-2007, 08:59 AM
MdnytRider
1st Gear Member

Default RE: CAI question (best w/o tune?)

The K&N advertises a 6 HP gain without a tune. Any intake that's worth its filter paper will require a re-flash - and it's definitely worth the money, IMHO.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:29 AM
05mig6r
1st Gear Member

I have an airaid intake and it claims 12-15 hp gain. It is pretty good. However I have to sell my car and I am currently looking to sell it for 200 and I have a jba evol axleback ($100) and a xcal (250) with three tunes on it that I am looking to sell. Since the airaid is usually like 275 thats a pretty good deal, I just got it back in November.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:59 AM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

i have apractically brand new intake tuner combo. xcal2/jlt caihttps://mustangforums.com/m_3250681/...tm.htm#3250681for $425 shipped. it comes w/ free spinner caps. it's roughly a 25 hp gain. the difference is like night and day.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:33 PM
takotruckin
2nd Gear Member

just curious, how do you justify selling the intake/tuner for 425? the buyer is going to have to pay at least another 150 for tunes (b*ma charges 180 for three).
Old 05-20-2007, 02:11 PM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: takotruckin

just curious, how do you justify selling the intake/tuner for 425? the buyer is going to have to pay at least another 150 for tunes (b*ma charges 180 for three).
i was quoted $75 for three one time and others have bought tunes for roughly that price.. but if it's 180, i will golower. i'm going to email b*ma tomake surewhat the actual price of the tunes are. but i seriously, seriously doubt the tunes are 180.

but like i said in my post to sell. i am flexible on the price now.likei said,this has got to go.

edit, got a buyer, woohoo!
Old 05-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

without a tuner....i'm pretty sure that C&L just made a setup. check their website
Old 05-20-2007, 06:52 PM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jaded seconds

ORIGINAL: takotruckin

i was quoted $75 for three one time and others have bought tunes for roughly that price.. but if it's 180, i will golower. i'm going to email b*ma tomake surewhat the actual price of the tunes are. but i seriously, seriously doubt the tunes are 180.

but like i said in my post to sell. i am flexible on the price now.likei said,this has got to go.

edit, got a buyer, woohoo!

whaaat? really? where? b amachips?
Old 05-20-2007, 06:58 PM
takotruckin
2nd Gear Member

bahama chips website lists tunes for 75 apiece, or 185 for 3. i think vmp charges 50 a pop
Old 05-20-2007, 07:50 PM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

well since that's the case. people usually only use one tune. i mean sure if they have 3, they'll play around w/ the others, but then they'll stick to there favorite, like me for example. i had 3 tunes, played with them, and found out that the best for all aroundperformance was 93 race. for the privy buyer who's bought a used tuner/cai combo and has done there research all they need is one maintune. sure u can buy more to play around w/ but after that's done w/ they'll usually stick to one.if they can afford it, they can get however many they want.

if i were to buy a use cai/tuner combo, that is what i would do.research what would be the best tune from whichevertune vendorand get that single best oneone instead of 3 just to save a little bit of money. but that's just me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CAI question (best w/o tune?)