Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How does everyone feel with.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 01:15 AM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How does everyone feel with.....

ORIGINAL: Dennis074.0

So, how does everyone feel with their current exhaust setup?

When I first got my flowmaster american thunder muffler I loved it, it was awesome, it was loud the tip looked nice, and I felt a nice little performance gain. But after acouple weeks I started hatingit, thetone was way too quiet, and oftenwould sound like a civic or supra's muffler, plus IMO a single muffler should not be on a muscle car. So after much thought, I bought a dual setup with SLP Loudmouths and feel it was an excellent decision.

what made you guysdecide to go dual exhaust,or stay with thesingle?and are you happy with your decision?
Great thread, Dennis. I agree that our cars just don't look right with a single exhaust. That's why I'm finally going with duals. My current single muffler is an Arospeed. It looks like a resonator with a 4" tip. Sounds great under hard acceleration, and I felt performance increases with it compared to my stock muffler. Since I'm automatic, when I cruise the city streets around 40-50, it drones. At 2500 rpm and higher, it would make a nice "gurgle". It never sounded raspy, but I didn't like the drone.

I heard 2 clips of SLPs on 4.0s, one of which is in the official soundclip thread, and I think they sound awesome. SLPs appear to be just tips, and not actually mufflers. (Maybe you can confirm that, Dennis?) So I thought that just running straight pipes would be the poor man's SLPs. I removed my Arospeed, and I've been going without a muffler since Saturday. At idle, it sounds very gurgly, like a V8.. under heavy throttle, it sounds alot better than you think. So, I decided to go with dual pipes, no mufflers. I'm getting this done in the morning. I bought 2 3" chrome tips for under $30, and the shop said it would be $100-$150 to run the other pipe. The shop did not recommend an X or H pipe. They suggested running one pipe on each side. One pipe from each cat, all the way back.

There's been alot of debate regarding X, H and Y pipes, and issues with raspiness, loudness, and backpressure. I'll know more tomorrow, and will either provide some answers, or more to debate.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:34 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanICON

When I first got my flowmaster american thunder muffler I loved it, it was awesome, it was loud the tip looked nice, and I felt a nice little performance gain. But after acouple weeks I started hatingit, thetone was way too quiet, and oftenwould sound like a civic or supra's muffler, plus IMO a single muffler should not be on a muscle car. So after much thought, I bought a dual setup with SLP Loudmouths and feel it was an excellent decision.

what made you guysdecide to go dual exhaust,or stay with thesingle?and are you happy with your decision?
Great thread, Dennis. I agree that our cars just don't look right with a single exhaust. That's why I'm finally going with duals. My current single muffler is an Arospeed. It looks like a resonator with a 4" tip. Sounds great under hard acceleration, and I felt performance increases with it compared to my stock muffler. Since I'm automatic, when I cruise the city streets around 40-50, it drones. At 2500 rpm and higher, it would make a nice "gurgle". It never sounded raspy, but I didn't like the drone.

I heard 2 clips of SLPs on 4.0s, one of which is in the official soundclip thread, and I think they sound awesome. SLPs appear to be just tips, and not actually mufflers. (Maybe you can confirm that, Dennis?) So I thought that just running straight pipes would be the poor man's SLPs. I removed my Arospeed, and I've been going without a muffler since Saturday. At idle, it sounds very gurgly, like a V8.. under heavy throttle, it sounds alot better than you think. So, I decided to go with dual pipes, no mufflers. I'm getting this done in the morning. I bought 2 3" chrome tips for under $30, and the shop said it would be $100-$150 to run the other pipe. The shop did not recommend an X or H pipe. They suggested running one pipe on each side. One pipe from each cat, all the way back.

There's been alot of debate regarding X, H and Y pipes, and issues with raspiness, loudness, and backpressure. I'll know more tomorrow, and will either provide some answers, or more to debate.

I've been running no muffler, just a straight pipe for about 9 months now. I love it! I get compliments all the time...people who don't know any better think it's a GT I want the dual look and I intended on doing the same thing, just straight pipes. I gotta wait til I can buy the right bumper for it. Let us know what you think!
Old 05-23-2007, 10:08 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: phunnyguy

magnaflow dual....y pipe ...daily driver....not too loud, but loud enough...i love em....and why magnaflow? the name is ysnonmous with mustang, and i liked the tone the best for daily driving.....gains are nice....i definately have more power.....i heard you lose some mileage with x pipe but the sound is nice.....i dont wanna mess with mileage for driving daily....30 mile commute...each way
The guys at the muffler shop told me that thex pipe will be better than stock for mileage. They told me the engine will breathe betterend result, better gas mileage andthe engine won't get as hot either.

Guess I'll find out once the parts are here.
Right now I average between 24-25 mpg.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

love my JBA H-Pipe setup. Sounds deep and aggressive but not too loud and annoying, but definately sounds american. i mean afterall, its still just a sixer. not trying to make it sound too loud like a big V8.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:42 PM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

Lemme know how you like it, I've been without mufflers and pipes from the pypes X back, and I love the sound. Lemme know how you like the true dual setup.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:28 AM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

I got true duals today. 2 pipes straight back from each cat and no mufflers. At idle, it sounds tremendous. Absolutely fantastic! I've been around alot of cars, and it truly rumbles like a big V8. That's the good news..

Now the bad news... when I'm driving, it is very deeeeeeep, but buzzy. It sounds like 2 Geo Metros racing. After the car is warmed up, the cool idle that I described earlier is gone. Once the car is warm, the idle sounds like a tractor. You hear air just "pshhh...pshhh:" coming out of the pipes as if the engine is missing, or skipping. When you romp on it, it sounds like a crop duster buzzing you at 200 feet.

Peformance-wise, it's awesome. I can tell the car takes off alot quicker. Especially mid range.. like if I'm doing 40 and floor it, it'll accelerate much quicker than before... but it's embarrassing because it sounds so buzzy. Not like Honda- raspy, buzzy.. but more like a propeller airplane.

I went back to the exhaust shop. My thoughts were that without an X, H, or Y pipe, I was getting just 3 cylinders out of each pipe, rather than all six cylinders to both pipes. I figured the buzziness was because I'm hearing 2 3-cyl engines.

The guy at the shop disagreed with me. He said it sounds this way becauseI'm not using mufflers. He said the x or h pipes have nothing to do iwth sound on the V6. He suggested that I just leave it true duals, but get mufflers. He then said, "It's never going to sound like a real Mustang because it's just a V6." Gee.. thanks Captain Obvious.

So.. I went to another shop for a 2nd opinion. Surprisingly, this shop also told me that the dual set up was fine. They didn't recommend an X, H or Y pipe.. they said again that it wouldn't effect the tone. He suggested mufflers, or justa couple glasspacks.

So.. I don't know whether to get an H pipe, or just buy 2 mufflers, or both. Any ideas?
Old 05-24-2007, 04:00 AM
S1ckStang
2nd Gear Member

well i have the setup in my sig, i ordered the jba hpipe and headers and did it all my self int he driveway. it sounds good after you warm it up and rive for 5 minutes or so. but from firsat start it sounds so bad and raspy i am going to be switching. i liek the idea of saingle because it shows that its a 6 and that your doing the most with it. so i am going to be switching to maybe bassani or borla. i ahve nto decided yet. has anyone had any experience witht eh bassani even single axle back i cant find any sort of sound clips.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:58 AM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

I've had duals with H pipe, GT takes-off's for about 2 years. Around town I wish it was louder, but I log a bunch of highway miles and have no drone issues, so it was the right call for me. Price was right too, I spent under $300 on the whole setup.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:24 AM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

I got true duals today. 2 pipes straight back from each cat and know mufflers. At idle, it sounds tremendous. Absolutely fantastic! I've been around alot of cars, and it truly rumbles like a big V8. That's the good news..

Now the bad news... when I'm driving, it is very deeeeeeep, but buzzy. It sounds like 2 Geo Metros racing. After the car is warmed up, the cool idle that I described earlier is gone. Once the car is warm, the idle sounds like a tractor. You hear air just "pshhh...pshhh:" coming out of the pipes as if the engine is missing, or skipping. When you romp on it, it sounds like a crop duster buzzing you at 200 feet.

Peformance-wise, it's awesome. I can tell the car takes off alot quicker. Especially mid range.. like if I'm doing 40 and floor it, it'll accelerate much quicker than before... but it's embarrassing because it sounds so buzzy. Not like Honda- raspy, buzzy.. but more like a propeller airplane.

I went back to the exhaust shop. My thoughts were that without an X, H, or Y pipe, I was getting just 3 cylinders out of each pipe, rather than all six cylinders to both pipes. I figured the buzziness was because I'm hearing 2 3-cyl engines.

The guy at the shop disagreed with me. He said it sounds this way becauseI'm not using mufflers. He said the x or h pipes have nothing to do iwth sound on the V6. He suggested that I just leave it true duals, but get mufflers. He then said, "It's never going to sound like a real Mustang because it's just a V6." Gee.. thanks Captain Obvious.

So.. I went to another shop for a 2nd opinion. Surprisingly, this shop also told me that the dual set up was fine. They didn't recommend an X, H or Y pipe.. they said again that it wouldn't effect the tone. He suggested mufflers, or justa couple glasspacks.

So.. I don't know whether to get an H pipe, or just buy 2 mufflers, or both. Any ideas?
"deeeeeeep, but buzzy"

Yup, its a 6. My Corvair sounded similar, just not as LOUD.

"more like a propeller airplane"

P-38

"He suggested that I just leave it true duals, but get mufflers."

Will still "buzz", but the tone will change, probably deeper, and you will have "quiet zones", for me, 55-65 and over 85 the interior noise drops to almost nothing... that's how my wife knows I'm speeding... [:@]

"thanks Captain Obvious"

Funny!

Get a set of mufflers and see how you like it. Also won't be as likely to get pulled over.

Except to check out your ride.

SOHC
Old 05-24-2007, 10:33 AM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

I also believe a Mustang should have duals.

Just doesn't look right that ANY car should have just one pipe out the @ss.

Even if it is a pretty 4" chrome one...

It's all about VISUAL BALANCE...

That's just my personal opinion. Feel free to agree with me. Or not.

Folks have great arguments both ways.

Even though I have duals and a GT bumper, my license plates proudly state that I'm a V6 for those who are confused by the loud exhaust.

SOHC

[IMG]local://upfiles/62156/E5186BDBFE1941E1B6DFC9BBF018A690.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: How does everyone feel with.....