Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 01:11 AM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Camaro

ORIGINAL: LL88

Yea, personally Im not sure if the V8 camaros will make it that well. If they are priced where they are expected, around 35k for a coupe, then I dont think they can compete with a mustang. Correct me if Im wrong, a stripped GT is mid 20's???? Plus, for 35K, thats awfully close to a corvette. I would definitely go with a corvette over a camaro, and I think alot of other people would too. For the money, you cant beat a stang!
the base corvette is 50 grand. that's 15 grand more than what you're saying the camaro would be.

also, the camaro will probably have a 5.7 liter V8 and chevy has ALWAYS underrated their HP on the cars. go back and look at the 67 Z/28. rated at 290 HP, but it's 302 was dynoed to push out over 350-400 hp.i think i recall that the 02 SS was 330 hp rated, but most people said it pushed out around 350 hp, all stock.

honestly, i've ALWAYS loved camaros (i do lean more to chevy than ford, but i love domestics overall) it's the first muscle car i've driven. i don't like this new body style though, so i'm glad i've got my stang.

one last thing, the camaro is going to have an independent rear suspension with corvette inspired suspension all around. that's going to mean it can handle a lot of power relatively easily compared to the live rear axle in our car. if anyone knows, the reason we have a live rear axle instead of a independent is because it's 5k more. so in all reality, the camaro is probably going to the best bang for the buck car out in the market.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:26 AM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

there's not going to be a V6 camaro due to the engineering and cost of putting a V6 in the car; it costs too much, to the base car will be a lower priced V8.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:41 AM
S1ckStang
2nd Gear Member

the thng with the 3.5 i be;ieve its dohc if they do do that. but even wen the ls1 camaros were out the gt mustang was rated at 260 but the camaro was 305 or 315 so the mustang gts will prbly stay the same and ford will fill the gapr with a a new mach 1 or bullit to cover the price and there will be the v6camaro (starting at probly 23k) z28 probly starting at 28k and the ss around 30k or mid 30s so it depends on how gm handles it i think. so i wouldn't expect ford to jump to conclusions until they actually have some competition.

i mean think about the mustang is unopposed for anyone in the ballpark for a 20-30 grand muscle car for the last 5 years trhe only answer has been mustang. the charger is big n bulky 4 door sedan and doesnt get muscular till the daytona or r/t or srt8 all plus 30k just like the gto. but the mustang is unopposed. what ford needs to do is start re-releasing the bullitt the mach 1 even to bridge the gap.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:52 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

well check out the charger R/T's...they have a beast engine but are making the same times as GTs
Old 05-24-2007, 05:59 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc

well check out the charger R/T's...they have a beast engine but are making the same times as GTs
What GT's are you talking about? 94-98?
Old 05-24-2007, 11:20 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: sdsguy

.... so in all reality, the camaro is probably going to the best bang for the buck car out in the market.
I don't think so. Look at our V6 Mustangs........Car & Driver Magazine rated it #1 for the fastest car for under $20K.
Just look at the past when Camero went head to head with Mustang......how long did Camero stay in the game before throwing in the towel?!
Now Dodge has thrown down the gauntlet in the Pony Warswith their concept car....Challenger. The Charger in my opinion is considered a 4 door sedan, not a 2 door sports car.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:31 PM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

ORIGINAL: sdsguy

.... so in all reality, the camaro is probably going to the best bang for the buck car out in the market.
I don't think so. Look at our V6 Mustangs........Car & Driver Magazine rated it #1 for the fastest car for under $20K.
Just look at the past when Camero went head to head with Mustang......how long did Camero stay in the game before throwing in the towel?!
Now Dodge has thrown down the gauntlet in the Pony Warswith their concept car....Challenger. The Charger in my opinion is considered a 4 door sedan, not a 2 door sports car.
don't get me wrong. the v6 mustang is a great car, thats why i have it. for under 20, it really is the best car. what i'm comparing though are the z/28 and ss camaros to the mustang GT. a stock mustang GT has no chance against a stock z/28 and it's not even a close race to the ss. the camaro did rather well for 35 years. the only thing, imo, that led to it's down fall is my generation, generation x who were more interested in ricers than muscle. the reason the mustang is doing so great is because the baby boomer age has tons of money to buy the v8's and the v6's are affordable sports cars, something i must say the camaro has never had. what the mustang lacks, i.e. a 6 speed tranny, independent rear suspension, a larger engine displacement, the camaro has. in my personal view, that makes the z/28 worth the high 20's low 30's that it will probably cost.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:31 PM
takotruckin
2nd Gear Member

the challenger and camaro will be out of the price range of current mustangs, the v6 camaro, with a cam in block 3.9 v6 is expected to go for about 26, almost 10k more than people are driving away in mustangs for. it just won't compete.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:43 PM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

i agree with you 100%, that's IF they come out with a v6. if chevy was smart, they'd stay out of the v6 market because the v6 can't compete and isn't going to be worth it.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:48 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: sdsguy

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

ORIGINAL: sdsguy

don't get me wrong. the v6 mustang is a great car, thats why i have it. for under 20, it really is the best car. what i'm comparing though are the z/28 and ss camaros to the mustang GT. a stock mustang GT has no chance against a stock z/28 and it's not even a close race to the ss. the camaro did rather well for 35 years. the only thing, imo, that led to it's down fall is my generation, generation x who were more interested in ricers than muscle. the reason the mustang is doing so great is because the baby boomer age has tons of money to buy the v8's and the v6's are affordable sports cars, something i must say the camaro has never had. what the mustang lacks, i.e. a 6 speed tranny, independent rear suspension, a larger engine displacement, the camaro has. in my personal view, that makes the z/28 worth the high 20's low 30's that it will probably cost.
sorry, but if I'm going to spend more money on a car I will purchase a Saleen or Shelby. I still think the Mustang GT will be the best bang for the buck.
However, I must say anytime people purchase American over foreign makes me proud. I can't tell you how many times I get sick watching TV commercials about the Toyota Tundra! Americans who purchase foreign cars are hurting the American car industry. Sure some say, like my neighbor who just bought a 2007 Mazda3, American cars aren't built with quality like Japanese carsand they don't hold their value as long. I think it's time for a change or American cars will be fewer and fewer on the roads.

Sorry for ranting.....I had to vent some.

Quick Reply: Camaro