Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 09:56 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Camaro

Yeah, it seems GM always waits to see what Ford releases first. My question is why? Are they afraid to make the first move? Perhaps they feel when Ford introduced the Mustang, they are the experts when it comes to Pony cars.

If I'm not mistaken wasn't the Falcon a predecessor of the Mustang? My dad had one.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:11 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

The IRS actually hurts the stop light to stop light performance and drag racing performance of those cars. Ask any GTO owner that races at the drag strip, and he/she will tell you how frustrated they are with the IRS and how drag bags help, but not as much as they would like.

And now a days, MPG will play a huge factor in selling cars. The 4.0 and the 4.6 actually are pretty damn competitive on MPG. I'm not sure what the Camaros will get. And 35k is 35k, which means we might see a boost in Mustang sales.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:07 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

The IRS actually hurts the stop light to stop light performance and drag racing performance of those cars. Ask any GTO owner that races at the drag strip, and he/she will tell you how frustrated they are with the IRS and how drag bags help, but not as much as they would like.

And now a days, MPG will play a huge factor in selling cars. The 4.0 and the 4.6 actually are pretty damn competitive on MPG. I'm not sure what the Camaros will get. And 35k is 35k, which means we might see a boost in Mustang sales.
+1

Too many peopledis Ford for not giving the Mustangan IRS, but they don't understand the strengths and weaknesses of what the Mustang has.

I'm glad the American car companies are getting back into the muscle car market. The muscle cars of the 60's and even early 70's had character, something that so many cars then, as now, lack. However, I don't see the Camaro as a direct competitor of the Mustang. It's just going to be part of the muscle car scene, and so may be an indirect competitor, but will also bring added interest to both muscle cars in general and Mustangs specifically.

One thing that I am concerned about is the distance between the new Camaro and the Vette. When Pontiac made the Fiero, I always thought that was a cool idea. Just as it seemed Pontiac figured out how to make Fiero's that wouldn't spontaneously combust, GM killed it. The rumor I heard was because it was seen as competition for the Vette. Now, Chevy wants to build another hi-po 2-seater????? Doesn't make sense to me, from a marketing perspective.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:43 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sdsguy

ORIGINAL: LL88

Yea, personally Im not sure if the V8 camaros will make it that well. If they are priced where they are expected, around 35k for a coupe, then I dont think they can compete with a mustang. Correct me if Im wrong, a stripped GT is mid 20's???? Plus, for 35K, thats awfully close to a corvette. I would definitely go with a corvette over a camaro, and I think alot of other people would too. For the money, you cant beat a stang!
the base corvette is 50 grand. that's 15 grand more than what you're saying the camaro would be.

also, the camaro will probably have a 5.7 liter V8 and chevy has ALWAYS underrated their HP on the cars. go back and look at the 67 Z/28. rated at 290 HP, but it's 302 was dynoed to push out over 350-400 hp.i think i recall that the 02 SS was 330 hp rated, but most people said it pushed out around 350 hp, all stock.

honestly, i've ALWAYS loved camaros (i do lean more to chevy than ford, but i love domestics overall) it's the first muscle car i've driven. i don't like this new body style though, so i'm glad i've got my stang.

one last thing, the camaro is going to have an independent rear suspension with corvette inspired suspension all around. that's going to mean it can handle a lot of power relatively easily compared to the live rear axle in our car. if anyone knows, the reason we have a live rear axle instead of a independent is because it's 5k more. so in all reality, the camaro is probably going to the best bang for the buck car out in the market.
This last paragraph is not true at all. Actually i disagree with pretty much everything you have said here. I am not trying to be an ***, but really think about this. The independent setup gm is supposedly going to use is horrible for launches...that's why you see gto's that should be running low 13's running high 13's and some even 14's...and that is happening fairly often even with the ls2 gto. This is mainly because IRS is a BITCH to launch on that car. Also keep in mind, the ls2 gto's were 33,000 bucks. that's 7k more than a base gt, expect the ls2/3 camaro to be right around that price and guess what that means... you guys do know the gt500 does not actually cost what people are buying them for right now right? They have NO competition right now, they are in their own class. No 4 seater is running mid 12's anywhere near that price range, so dealers can charge whatever the hell they want. When the camaro's come out the gt500's will drop close to a normal price, likely in the low 40's since msrp is i beleive 41k? So think about it this way. 33-35k for a camaro that will LIKELY have mid-low 400's in hp, that is hard to launch (probably gonna net some fairly consistant 12's though) or 40k for a 500hp gt500 that looks better in most people's opinions (at least the people i have talked to about it, even some of my friends who are gm guys love that car). Ill tell you, most will opt for the gt500 over the z28 or whatever it is gonna be. And ford can easily bump up the power on the gt500 for extremely cheap if they want to. I wouldn't worry guys. The camaro is gonna be a great ride no doubt, and i am excited to see them driving around and possibly go drive one, but it will never steal enough sales from the mustang to make a dent, so who cares?
Old 05-26-2007, 07:39 PM
alm0stfamousstang

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

Yea, personally Im not sure if the V8 camaros will make it that well. If they are priced where they are expected, around 35k for a coupe, then I dont think they can compete with a mustang. Correct me if Im wrong, a stripped GT is mid 20's???? Plus, for 35K, thats awfully close to a corvette. I would definitely go with a corvette over a camaro, and I think alot of other people would too. For the money, you cant beat a stang!
the base corvette is 50 grand. that's 15 grand more than what you're saying the camaro would be.

also, the camaro will probably have a 5.7 liter V8 and chevy has ALWAYS underrated their HP on the cars. go back and look at the 67 Z/28. rated at 290 HP, but it's 302 was dynoed to push out over 350-400 hp.i think i recall that the 02 SS was 330 hp rated, but most people said it pushed out around 350 hp, all stock.

honestly, i've ALWAYS loved camaros (i do lean more to chevy than ford, but i love domestics overall) it's the first muscle car i've driven. i don't like this new body style though, so i'm glad i've got my stang.

one last thing, the camaro is going to have an independent rear suspension with corvette inspired suspension all around. that's going to mean it can handle a lot of power relatively easily compared to the live rear axle in our car. if anyone knows, the reason we have a live rear axle instead of a independent is because it's 5k more. so in all reality, the camaro is probably going to the best bang for the buck car out in the market.
This last paragraph is not true at all. Actually i disagree with pretty much everything you have said here. I am not trying to be an ***, but really think about this. The independent setup gm is supposedly going to use is horrible for launches...that's why you see gto's that should be running low 13's running high 13's and some even 14's...and that is happening fairly often even with the ls2 gto. This is mainly because IRS is a BITCH to launch on that car. Also keep in mind, the ls2 gto's were 33,000 bucks. that's 7k more than a base gt, expect the ls2/3 camaro to be right around that price and guess what that means... you guys do know the gt500 does not actually cost what people are buying them for right now right? They have NO competition right now, they are in their own class. No 4 seater is running mid 12's anywhere near that price range, so dealers can charge whatever the hell they want. When the camaro's come out the gt500's will drop close to a normal price, likely in the low 40's since msrp is i beleive 41k? So think about it this way. 33-35k for a camaro that will LIKELY have mid-low 400's in hp, that is hard to launch (probably gonna net some fairly consistant 12's though) or 40k for a 500hp gt500 that looks better in most people's opinions (at least the people i have talked to about it, even some of my friends who are gm guys love that car). Ill tell you, most will opt for the gt500 over the z28 or whatever it is gonna be. And ford can easily bump up the power on the gt500 for extremely cheap if they want to. I wouldn't worry guys. The camaro is gonna be a great ride no doubt, and i am excited to see them driving around and possibly go drive one, but it will never steal enough sales from the mustang to make a dent, so who cares?

not to be an *** but you are also ignorant. i love fords dont get me wrong. but look at the gt500 they only got 500hp with a supercharger. when you can look at the vett that has 505 na. and your saying they launch horrible. its like anything your not gonna launch it the same way you launch a stang with a straight axleand expect the same results. if thats the case hop on a gsxr and launch it like you launch your stang and see where u end up(on your ***). get to know the car and u will be suprised what happens. i love my 06 stang and im going to keep it, but im also buying a new camaro when they come out, i will pay 30k for the camaro with a ls3 with 450hp(normal z28, ss will have a lil over 500hp)and ill slap asupercharger on it and let me see a gt500 and we will see whatts up, and i will tell the guy i paid less then 40k with the aftermarket parts and i still smoked him..im not one of those ford or chevy guys. i like going fast and looking good. so anything that cando that for me i absolutly love. i have a 07 cbr600 also so im not dissin on jap stuff either.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:56 PM
LL88
2nd Gear Member

A corvette does not have 505 horsepower. The Z06 has 505 hp in a 7.0 liter engine, and is also around 70K. Dont get me wrong, If I had that kind of money to spend on a car, I would buy a C6 Z06 straight away, because I'm a big vette fan. Normal, 45K C6 vettes have 405hp LS2's, and are expected to come out with the 435hp LS3.

ALSO, just to point this out, not EVERYONE buys a car because it launches well, and runs a .8 second faster 1/4 mile. There are TONS of people out there, who buy mustang GT's/corvettes, and keep them completely stock, because they are already a cool car. Im not dissing modding, but the sect of people who are into track racing are small comparitive to the market they mostly sell too. Don't forget about the other factors in a car - Feel, Look, Comfort, Practicality, Everyday Driveabilty. Just thought I'd point that out.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:41 PM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

i did not know that about the IRS, thanks for the tutorial. and i actually agree whole heartedly with you.

i saw a shelby GT sell for 60K, so i can't even imagine how much a shelby GT500 sells for after dealer markup. but once it gets competition i do think prices will drop too. i'm still waiting on the KR and super snake!!