Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

full intake vs. just the cone filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 03:08 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Default RE: full intake vs. just the cone filter

was hoping justin from VMP would get back at me with his opinion. like i said earlier, i'll go for the C&L if the difference is significant enough.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:02 PM
Justin00Stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

ORIGINAL: Justin00Stang

I have not tested the aem, so its hard to say. Can you take the intake off and measure the ID of the tube where the MAF goes into it?
the tube on the brute force is the same diameter from throttle body to filter including MAF housing. the measurement is 2.75 inches (approx. 70mm). the filter however is pretty big in case you haven't seen one. is this kit holding me back enough to have to buy another intake with larger MAF housing? honest opinion would be great. wouldn't want to have to buy another intake if the difference isn't significant enough. will you ever make tunes for the predator?
I recomend a minimum 3" MAF housing for the V6s. At this point the Diablo software/hardware does not give me what I need to properly tune a car, if the diablo software changes in the future then I may consider using it. We have an excellent tuning hardware buyback program, we could give you a $200 credit if you sent in your predator, and I could work a new custom tuner and VMP intake into the deal if you were interested.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:31 PM
TAoW1939
1st Gear Member

I would suggest going with the intake/tuner from VMP, it is an amazing kit. I developed a potty mouth when I first tested it out.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:15 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Save a couple hundred bucks and get a K&N drop in and a tune; there's not a noticeable difference between that and a full intake...not $200 worth anyway. And the idea of the stock tube collapsing is ridiculous; I and many others are running the stock tube with a supercharger and a stock airbox (but with a GT top on it) and have had no such problem.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Justin00Stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: beaustang

Save a couple hundred bucks and get a K&N drop in and a tune; there's not a noticeable difference between that and a full intake...not $200 worth anyway. And the idea of the stock tube collapsing is ridiculous; I and many others are running the stock tube with a supercharger and a stock airbox (but with a GT top on it) and have had no such problem.
The restriction in the design of the 05+ GT and V6 airbox is the lid, and the way it pulls air off the top of a filter. Even a KN drop in is only worth 4rwhp on a GT, on a V6 it will be worth even less.

A KN drop in is nearly half the price of my low cost intake.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:24 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

thanks justin. i trust your opinion. i will very much consider your offer (which is very good by the way) as soon as i gather the funds. TAoW's reaction has got me sold also[8D].
Old 06-14-2007, 02:40 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

I'll take your word on the numbers but how much of a gain do you see with your low cost intake without a tune? 8 or 10 on a V6? Is that worth the extra cost? I think the value is in the tune. And have you ever heard of a stock tube collapsing?

The restriction in the design of the 05+ GT and V6 airbox is the lid, and the way it pulls air off the top of a filter. Even a KN drop in is only worth 4rwhp on a GT, on a V6 it will be worth even less.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:40 AM
drivingperson
1st Gear Member

i just ordered it and let me tell you that i can already feel my car getting faster by the minute and its not even here yet. i think im gonna like it once i order acustom tuneand gt takeoff. which by the way does anyone know if it matters or not if i tell the tuner that i have a gt exhaust? can they make a tune to fit that as well?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:55 AM
Justin00Stang
2nd Gear Member

My intake requires a tune.

To answer the other guys question, the GT exhaust or dual exhaust does not require a new tune.

I'll take your word on the numbers but how much of a gain do you see with your low cost intake without a tune? 8 or 10 on a V6? Is that worth the extra cost? I think the value is in the tune. And have you ever heard of a stock tube collapsing?