Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

manual transmission annoyances list

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 02:21 PM
tedBalog
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: manual transmission annoyances list

You should be able to get to reverse by double clutching, as for first, when I drove a manual mustang 1st seemed like it was syncronized. The RPM sticking at 2k/3k RPM may be because the car was cold.. Warm your car up before driving - it's much better on the engine.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:57 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drivingperson

1. It sometimes wont go into first without taking it out and trying three or four times
2. Reverse is impossible to get into even after waiting 5 seconds in first(if i can get it into first)
3. Sometimes clunks like crazy when going from 1st to 2nd but other times its as smooth as ice: it depends on how the car is feeling that day I guess?
4. When coasting in neutral the RPMs go up to about 2 grand before settling down to 1.

Dealer says all this is normal...is it? does anyone else have these problems?

Feel free to add any of your own problems. This is a judgment-free zone.
1. Push the stick ALL THE WAY to the left before you push it forward, don't go kinda diagonally, you will never have this problem again. Make it a habit.
2. reverse isn't synchronized, let yourself roll back/forward a little bit and while it's rolling slide it in. On the rare occasion you are on a perfectly flat surface, give it a little gas in first to move a bit if you cant get it into reverse then try again...always works.
3. We have a noisy tranny...it's used in trucks and suv's. its not made to be quiet and smooth, you just have to get used to it really.
4. There are multiple reasons for this.
a. helps the engine warm up faster in cold temperatures so you can get your heat going and cold block = not great for longevity if you are gonna run it hard, so you want it to get to operating temps as quickly as possible and this helps.
b. Supposedly, it is also to aid in braking. Turn off your car, put it in neutral and roll down a hill....try to press the brakes, it is hard as HELL. you need pressure. Way more pressure than the average person can make, to stop the car quickly, and this pressure is built by taking energy from the engine, basically. This is a very mild explanation, but just know it helps in braking... cruise sometime, push the cluthc in, let go of the gas, then coast while applying the brake and watch the rpm's....they will hang. Then all of a sudden let go of the brakes, and you will see the rpm's drop to or close to idle.

hope that helped some.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:11 PM
andrews0915
2nd Gear Member

Putting it in 5th and then reverse doesn't work, the tranny has a lockout feature to prevent you from accidentally shifting from 5th to reverse while doing things like driving on the highway.... just put it in first, or let it roll a bit as others have suggested.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:52 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

I have all of those problems too but they dont bother me because I have learned to control them. Its the nature of the beast. The only problem I have that I still dont like is down shifting from 3rd to 2nd. It is very hard to get it into 2nd w/o gas when down shifting...even if the rpms are matched. I just have to give it a nice jerk and it pops in there though....maybe my right arm will get stonger now.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:51 PM
amptor
2nd Gear Member

If I had to commute to work with a stick in this new car I'd probably be annoyed with that. I chose auto so the car would do all the shifting for me I drove a stick for 10 years, it's fun but can be tedious during gridlock. Are you guys saying the base model V6 manual transmission isn't as good as the one in the premium or pony? I thought it'd be the same thing.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:10 AM
tilt
2nd Gear Member

As far as getting into first....I pull back toward 2nd, but not actually into gear just to friction point of going into gear then slide straight into 1st. This works relley well for me slides like butter, it is not that much a pain either
Old 06-15-2007, 07:23 AM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amptor

If I had to commute to work with a stick in this new car I'd probably be annoyed with that. I chose auto so the car would do all the shifting for me I drove a stick for 10 years, it's fun but can be tedious during gridlock. Are you guys saying the base model V6 manual transmission isn't as good as the one in the premium or pony? I thought it'd be the same thing.
I thought all V6 manuals were Tremec T5's. My '88 GT 5.0 had a T5

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/T-5.asp
Old 06-15-2007, 04:24 PM
billybix76
2nd Gear Member

1) They are all Tremec T-5's. and yes they are a 20 year old design light truck/suv transmission

2)The best way to avoid rough shifting and missed RPM's is to learn what the car and the tranny need to work well.... I changed out the fluid to RP syncromax and it solved the problems i had getting into 1st and Reverse and smoothed everything over. 30 bux and 1/2 hour.

3) I also installed the K-member and torque limiter and it solved the WOT shift issues and the linkage problems were solved.

4) the RPM "hang" is a computer tune issue and stock mustang T5 (and GT T3650) manuals are tuned/designed to make it easy for grandma to shift it by attempting to match rpm's for the driver (whether you want it or not) by revving the engine while in neutral to ease shifting into 2nd and third. Another of Ford's better ideas...LOL.

The only way to solve the RPM surge while coasting in neutral is to get a good aftermarket tune/tuner and it will eliminate that and give you "real" throttle response to bump the RPM's yourself for shifting.

Old 06-17-2007, 02:10 AM
pbg711
1st Gear Member

I don't have any problems with 1st gear but reverse is hard to get into. All I do is put it in 5th first and then reverse and no problem whatsoever. I only have 600 miles so I think it will loosen up over time. I am surprised that the transmission is as smooth as it is as earlier models sucked.