Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

JTL vs C&L intake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Default JTL vs C&L intake?

I heard the C&L intake was the best for the v6 as in the most power, it certainly looks the part, but I've also heard that the JTL intake is the second best, AND you can run it without a tune and get some of the gain.

Is all of this true? I'm thinking of getting the intake from Bren speed then getting the tuner seperatly with a lightweight driveshaft, that way I'll get my intake earlier and get it's install out of the way.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:30 PM
ismellhonda
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: JTL vs C&L intake?

might as well wait to until u can afford to get the tuner to get the intake.....regardless of what intake u get majority of the power increase is going to come from the tune.

and install of the intake....10 minutes. its no big deal at all
Old 06-14-2007, 06:54 PM
besam
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Legion5

I heard the C&L intake was the best for the v6 as in the most power, it certainly looks the part, but I've also heard that the JTL intake is the second best, AND you can run it without a tune and get some of the gain.

Is all of this true? I'm thinking of getting the intake from Bren speed then getting the tuner seperatly with a lightweight driveshaft, that way I'll get my intake earlier and get it's install out of the way.
you can NOT run the jlt cai w/o a tune
i have one and in the manual it says not to run it w/o a tune or it will cause serious engine damage
Old 06-14-2007, 08:14 PM
iLuvbase

ORIGINAL: Legion5

Actually... the C&L is the one you can run without a tune - provided you buy the no-tune kit for it (all the no-tune kit is is another piece to go in the tube with the MAF to restrict air flow). Great advantage of this... when you do decide to get the tune, I believe you can just take out the no-tune portion. I'm not 100% sure on this, i've just seen that no-tune kit option on C&Ls website... though they do strongely encourage getting a custom tune if you use their intakes, once again relating to the point of you can do serious damage without one.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:34 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

yeah i recently noticed that c&l has a new no-tune part which works out great if you ever have to take your car into the dealership for maintenance. this should be the only real purpose of the part and also if you cant afford to buy the intake and tuner at once and you get the intake first. IMO, this option helps a lot.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:16 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

yeah i recently noticed that c&l has a new no-tune part which works out great if you ever have to take your car into the dealership for maintenance. this should be the only real purpose of the part and also if you cant afford to buy the intake and tuner at once and you get the intake first. IMO, this option helps a lot.
That's a sad situation because you can custom paint the JTL intake. That no tune option seems like a great idea, except I'd like to know how hard it is to slip into the intake.

I think I am going to get the C&L intake then custom body color matching every part of it, assuming it easy enough to put in the no tune. If not $100 is worth 1-2 hp and I'll go with JTL, not only because it looks better, but because it commes custom painted.

Also does anyone know what size that filter is on the C&L, I've e-mailed C&L to ask but it never hurts to be double sure. Their filter is just not a pretty color... looks like I'll be going with C&L.

As an added bonus to my filter diamiter question, does anyone know that website where you could buy various body color matched parts to spruce up the engine bay?

- Dan

Old 06-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

just re-oil it with a different color oil. should be no problem.