Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Engine Internals

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 12:47 AM
xTato
1st Gear Member

Default Engine Internals

Well I know this has prob been posted here more then once but I am looking to build my mustang up N/A. I was wondering if any of you fellow stangers have went into the engine internals and changed things up a bit. I just want to know what kinda gains I can expect from new cam, etc. Also where I could find some good reliable source for the parts.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:21 AM
iamelf

Default RE: Engine Internals

This is a pretty taboo subject right now, as there's no hard data outside of a few dyno sheets from I believe a cam job - I'd love to hear more on this subject as well, but no one's ready to come forward with more info until things are more proven. Checkout SuperSix Motorsports - outside of that I believe only PowerHouse and maybe a few select others are doing anything with our engine and it's internals. A few others have internals/built motors, but their running FI on top. I serious think about this subject non-stop... it's what keeps me from trading up to an 8 or trying to figure out how to drop a different motor with a little more attitude in this car of mine.

Good luck on your quest!
Old 06-20-2007, 06:00 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

well right now, the only person to even touch the internals while staying n/a is gash05 on the c ollective forums. Results are unclear, but from what we can tell he probably gained about 20rwhp from the ported and polished heads. With a good cam, i'd say you could probably get another 10rwhp out of it, but that is not a sure thing. Once you get the heads flowing better though, you will probably be able to gain more from freeing up the exhaust/intake with say, long tubes, maybe a bigger throttle body, going catless, etc. I can see 240whp being quite attainable all motor without touching the rotating assembly. Hell a few people are putting down 215whp with just bolt ons and some are even automatics putting down around there. I think someone on the c ollective forums made 220whp with all bolt ons on a manual...i'd say depending on the car, 250whp MIGHT be attainable with a real good head/cam job and all the bolt ons. That would make for a pretty quick *** 6 though. Probably be just about as quick as a gt if geared right.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:59 PM
iamelf

Hey gro,

So is this Gash's dyno on the heads? > http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/p...Cdynotest1.pdf

I'm real curious if one were to go through the expense of a built short block with all the trimmings where it'd get you at the end of the day. If I knew I could dump less than 6-7K into my 6-banger, put out as much or a bit more (NA) than a GT...I'd do it in a heartbeat. Sure I could take the loss, upgrade to a GT and call it good, but then I'd have just that...an ordinary GT. I'd much rather have a unique 6-banger that can eat a GT for about the same amount of money, plus have an engine that can take an assload of boost down the road.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:17 PM
The_Third
2nd Gear Member

This is on my list. It's just after everything else haha. Maybe end of next summer
Old 06-20-2007, 08:17 PM
The_Third
2nd Gear Member

This is on my list. It's just after everything else haha. Maybe end of next summer
Old 06-20-2007, 10:23 PM
xTato
1st Gear Member

well when I get the couple grand saved up I will get that stage three heads with regrind cam, and ill let you guys know how it went. Im super excited for this engine buildup, but I just gotta make sure I get the money beforeI start charging it all to my visa lol.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:02 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: iamelf

Hey gro,

So is this Gash's dyno on the heads? > http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/p...Cdynotest1.pdf

I'm real curious if one were to go through the expense of a built short block with all the trimmings where it'd get you at the end of the day. If I knew I could dump less than 6-7K into my 6-banger, put out as much or a bit more (NA) than a GT...I'd do it in a heartbeat. Sure I could take the loss, upgrade to a GT and call it good, but then I'd have just that...an ordinary GT. I'd much rather have a unique 6-banger that can eat a GT for about the same amount of money, plus have an engine that can take an assload of boost down the road.
i beleive that is gash's dyno. You will not make more power n/a than an equally equipped gt (both autos vs both manuals) for under 6k. You MIGHT be able to do it for 7 if you do all the work yourself, but then you need suspension mods etc. The main reason i can see for staying n/a is to do it all over time if you can do the work yourself. Go full bolt ons, then heads/cams, then later on maybe a stroker setup.