Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Bad day at the track

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 09:29 PM
droptop6
2nd Gear Member

Default Bad day at the track

Well i went to Lapeer dragway today to try and break into the 12's but sorry to say i broke the rear end.
At first i ran a 13.8 and we found out that the timers were off, once they got that fixed i still couldn't pull better than a 13.4 out of her. So i started to try different things like tire pressure and the way i was launching the car and i even tried manually shifting the auto. I couldn't figure out why i wasn't trapping at anything better than 102mph with a 13.4. My 60' was 1.9 to 2.1. Well i just chalked it up to an 80 degree day and figured i was runnin her to hard so we packed up and when i pulled out of the parking lot it was hummin so bad i could't here my wife next to me. I have an hour ride home and i'm thinking oh **** am i gonna make it. So i drove it home and you can smell the fluid burn and the noise got louder the closer i got to home, so now i am looking for an 8.8 if anybody can send me in the right direction i would be thankful.
I do have 1 question. Could the rear end have kept me from runnin a higher mph through the traps?
Old 06-23-2007, 09:43 PM
JasonHilton

Default RE: Bad day at the track

Shelby has a pre-built 8.8 rear with 3.55's http://shelbyperformanceparts.com/ShowItem/100216.aspx
Old 06-23-2007, 09:57 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Damn Joe, that is rough. I'm sorry man. At least you made it home, like Ron and Dale always say, if you can drive home from the track in the same car you came in, its a big plus!

Try this place:

http://www.speedconcepts.net/product...roducts_id=728

I got my 8.8 from them. Your rear end could have had a role in your trap speed, along with the heat and humidity. I wouldn't read too much into it until you get your rear end sorted out.

Now would be a good time to rethink your gears. Centri's love 4.10s dude, get it wound up nice off the line. Bring that 60ft down.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:10 PM
JimC

Joe, sorry to hear that - you and that Camaro both? And we were just talking about the 8.8 for you this afternoon as well after he lost his rear end.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

Sorry to hear about that. I am sure that was affecting your times near the end of its life. 12's will be yours in the near future, just keep at it. I would consider 3.90's like Nav or even 4.10's like Rygen suggested with the 8.8 install. You can always run a taller tire to compensate.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:13 AM
droptop6
2nd Gear Member

Jim, i didn't notice any noise until i left and the wine in the rear end is unbearable. so i am going to try and find one locally. I just wasn't ready for this yet.
Lance are you running the 8.8 or are you still on the 7.5 and what gear do have?
Old 06-24-2007, 12:21 AM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

I am getting the 8.8 next week and putting 3.73's back in.
I fear I pushed this 7.5 to the edge and back. To be honest I was fully expecting to break it at the track at some point, then make the switch. It is Todd's old rear that was sitting up at PH w/ the tlok and gears already done in it, so I put that in the same time as the turbo to save a few bucks. Honestly I haven't seen another 7.5 hold up to so much abuse as this one! I may frame it!
Old 06-24-2007, 04:35 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Rough one Joe let me know if there is anything I can do.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:14 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: droptop6

Jim, i didn't notice any noise until i left and the wine in the rear end is unbearable. so i am going to try and find one locally. I just wasn't ready for this yet.
Lance are you running the 8.8 or are you still on the 7.5 and what gear do have?
ok... since you said it was a whine... might just be the crush sleeve or pinion bearings... check to see if you have any play in your pinion... (see if the driveshaft moves up and down...) I've seen the pinion bearing "explode" on another SC'd V6... mine was just the sleeve... but it caused an incredible amount of gear whine... and if in fact you lost the bearings, that could be your smell... or in my case my pinion was leaking pretty good..
Old 06-24-2007, 03:50 PM
droptop6
2nd Gear Member

I haven't looked at it yet but i have no leak under it. I was contemplating fixing the 7.5 but i know i will break it bad next time so instead of putting money back in this one i will just replace it with an 8.8. I think i am going to stick with the 3.73's. I still want to be able to drive it long distance without it killing me in fuel cost. Although i am interested in the 3.90 that Ron has, with my street 20's i could probably still get pretty good gas mileage and when i went to the track with the 26" tall DR's i would get the hook i need to bring my 60' times down.

Quick Reply: Bad day at the track