Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What's the difference???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 11:42 PM
4Rowdy
2nd Gear Member

Default What's the difference???

What is the difference between a fuel pump and a sending unit???
Yesterday, themechanic said I needed a new fuel pump becuase the one was going out, and they would order a fuel pump because it was not in stock. Today they call to tell me my "sending unit" is in. When I questioned it, he said it was a fancy name for fuel pump. This is warranty work, is it possiblethey trying to do something the cheap way? Or is a fuel pump and a sending unit the same thing, just differnt name for it, like he says? I just don't trust these small town dealerships, but don't have much choice here. (tried to find all this on the internet, but came up w/ nothing)
Thanks!
Old 06-22-2007, 12:08 AM
Mountain Mustang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: What's the difference???

A fuel pump does what the name implies, it pumps the fuel from the tank to the injectors or carburator. It is usually located on the frame near the rear of the car on fuel injected vehicles or on the side of the engine block on carburated vehicles. Electric fuel pumps push better than they pull, thats why they mount them as close to the tank as possible. Mechanicle fuel pumps pull better than push and are usually driven by an arm that rides on a lobe on the camshaft. The sending unit sends a signal to the fuel guage to indicate the amount of fuel in the fuel tank. They are mounted inside the fuel tank, and usually have a float that rises or falls to indicate the amount of fuel remaining. Some vehicles combine the fuel pump and sending unit into one unit mounted inside the tank. I'm not sure, but I think our Mustangs use seperate pumps and sending units. I would ask the dealer for sure which they recieved. Hope this helps.

MM
Old 06-22-2007, 12:17 AM
4Rowdy
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, I am thinking they are getting ready to fix something that's not broken! When you turn the car on, it makes a loud electric sound before starting, comes from drivers side rear (fuel pump). It hesitates on start, it has trouble starting, etc... The fuel guage works fine. What ever they are doing he said they have to drain the tank and remove it to fix the part, and it will take them a good 4 hours. I will go there tomorrow and question all this before they screw things up.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:30 AM
Mountain Mustang
1st Gear Member

After doing a little more research, it looks like the fuel pump is in the tank. http://www.swaaggs.com/documents/fuel_tank.pdf4 hours doesn't seem out of line for the work involved. Let us know how things turn out.

MM
Old 06-22-2007, 01:47 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

Although I don't know this for a fact, I'm wondering if they might both be part of the same piece. Just yesterday, I took my car in to the dealer because it had been running out of gas when the gauge said that it still had 1/8 of a tank left. The guy at the dealership told me that I needed a new fuel sending unit. According to his computer, the previous owner had brought the car in to have the fuel pump replaced, but since it had been over a year, I would have to use my extended warranty to get it fixed. I'm thinkin' I don't have anything wrong with my fuel pump, just my sending unit. So I'm wondering if they might be two parts of the same piece.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:25 AM
Mountain Mustang
1st Gear Member

If you check the link I posted, it alooks like the pump is on one side of the tank and the sending unit is on the other. They could have replaced the pump and not the sending unit. It looks like the pump is on the drivers side.

MM
Old 06-22-2007, 12:16 PM
4Rowdy
2nd Gear Member

I checked the part number, and it is listed as "sender & pump assy" 9H307, so according to the picture in the link, it is the right thing. Thanks MM for that link, I was looking for a picture exactly like that!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 12:47 PM
TTSRACINGWORLD
2nd Gear Member

On most cars now, the fuel pump and sending unit is one. They can replace the fuel pump and reuse the sending unit but it's a pain to do, so most of the time they are replaced together. At my work when we call for a fuel pump, they will say a sending unit or a pump so they can be call different things and be the same.
What kind of problems are you having with your car ? I don't understand how he can say that it is going out. They work or they don't. There is a problem with our pumps when driving for a time on the highway and getting off, the car hesitates and they have a repair for that.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:18 PM
4Rowdy
2nd Gear Member

Yes, the car does hesitate after diving for a while, but when it first starts, you have to pause right before you crank it over until this noise stops then it will fire, most of the time, sometimes it takes a few tries. Here's the link I started when I first got the car a month ago. It can better explain: https://mustangforums.com/m_3288141/tm.htm

I just went and looked under the car at the gas tank, geez they need to remove the exhaust to get the tank out???!!! Good ole' BillyBob better put it back the way he found it, with no leaks!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 02:04 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4Rowdy

What is the difference between a fuel pump and a sending unit???
Yesterday, themechanic said I needed a new fuel pump becuase the one was going out, and they would order a fuel pump because it was not in stock. Today they call to tell me my "sending unit" is in. When I questioned it, he said it was a fancy name for fuel pump. This is warranty work, is it possiblethey trying to do something the cheap way? Or is a fuel pump and a sending unit the same thing, just differnt name for it, like he says? I just don't trust these small town dealerships, but don't have much choice here. (tried to find all this on the internet, but came up w/ nothing)
Thanks!
Hi 4Rowdy!

You mention "hesitation" in another post.

There is a TSB on a replacement fuel pump for the 2005-2006 model year.

I had "hestitation after long cruise"... SO DO YOU.
HESITATION ON ACCELERATION AFTER LONG CRUISE
TSB 06-9-9
Here's the PDF: http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...hesonaccel.pdf

I got a FREE replacement pump. (supposedly a $700 part?)

Sounds like you have a defective one that should be covered under the TSB.

Good luck with the TSB repair, hope you get your pony running right!!

SOHC

Quick Reply: What's the difference???