Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT take off w/Y pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 07:51 PM
pperin
I ♥ Acer

Default GT take off w/Y pipe?

Ok, I have said that I won't do duals till I'm sure of the results. I am happy with my Gt take off but really like the dual look.
From what I have read here there may be some back pressure issues with duals on ours cars and possibly some preformance issues because of it.
My question is if I went duals with a Y would'nt that basically maintain the proper back pressure?
It makes sense to me that it would but not sure.
Anyone know for sure?
Old 06-24-2007, 08:27 PM
project85
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: GT take off w/Y pipe?

I would think it still maintain proper backpressure...
Here's an article about backpressure that may help

OK, so here is Backpressure 101.
The purpose of the car’s exhaust system is to evacuate gases from the combustion chamber quickly and efficiently. The exhaust gasses do not flow in a smooth stream. Because the gasses are vented at each opening of the exhaust valves there is a pulse of gasses from each cylinder. Just put you hand near the exhaust tip and you will feel the pulses.The exhaust gasses produce a positive flow in the exhaust pipe. Backpressure can be likened to resistance to the positive flow of the exhaust stream. Taken to its extreme backpressure can lead to a reversal (albeit momentarily) of the exhaust stream.
Is Bigger Better or is Faster Best?

When contemplating a modified exhaust system there are those who want the biggest diameter pipe that can be had. Their idea must be that fatter pipes are more effective at venting than narrower pipes. This sounds reasonable but it is not quite correct. Sure wider pipes have greater volume and higher flow capacity, but that is just half of the story. Capacity is one consideration but gas velocity is the other factor.
An experienced exhaust designer knows that the best exhaust is one that balances flow capacity with velocity. A given volume/time of gasses will travel faster through a 2" pipe than the same volume of gas passing through a 3" pipe. So when taken to its extremes we can see that a too narrow pipe will create backpressure (restrictions to positive flow) problems and a too wide pipe will cause a very slow flow with no backpressure. The optimum is where the fastest velocity is achieved with the least constriction possible.

P.S. this article really needs to be read by cars with those 6" coffee can exhaust [sm=smiley36.gif]
Old 06-25-2007, 12:31 AM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

I just installed the nino Y and the car runs good . check out the new post (nino duals are on.)
Old 06-25-2007, 07:49 PM
pperin
I ♥ Acer

cool thanks for the feed back. One more ? If I eventualy go FI would I need to do true duals?