Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MRT Aeroturbine Installed....Sorta

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 11:35 PM
besam
2nd Gear Member

Default MRT Aeroturbine Installed....Sorta

ok first off let me say i love the new sound, its loud and a lot deeper than i thought, doesnt sound the least bit ricey to me

anyway, after intalling it and making sure all the bolts were tight i started her up and reved it after i turned her off i noticed that there is a liquid leaking out of my tip, every time i hit a high rpm, round 3500, it starts leaking
does anyone know why this is happening, is it harmful?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:40 AM
TAoW1939
1st Gear Member

Default RE: MRT Aeroturbine Installed....Sorta

Its normal, you just can't see it on the factory down-turned muffler tip.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:59 PM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

I have tightened, loosened, and re-tightened everyhing on my MRT and I still get a rattle over some bumps. Could it be just the tip? I sounds like metal on metal though.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:01 AM
besam
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigNasty06

I have tightened, loosened, and re-tightened everyhing on my MRT and I still get a rattle over some bumps. Could it be just the tip? I sounds like metal on metal though.

Any suggestions?
yeah i have that rattle too, i thought if i just tightened when ever i have some free time it would go away though
Old 07-02-2007, 04:49 AM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

This is a post of mine from a few months ago.

As for the rattle; this is caused by the mid pipe being to close to the black cross bar under it. The MRT hangs a bit lower and lessons the clearance. To fix this, the mid pipe has to be rotated clockwise (I think). I found a pretty easy way to do this: Loosen the mid pipe bolts to where it connects to the y-pipe. Then losen the bolt on the axle back. Shove a piece of a 2x4 between the mid pipe and the black cross bar. Finally, tighten everything up and you should now have plenty of clearance over the cross bar and for the tip and bumper clearance.

Update:

Another thing I did to help with the noise was to stiffen up the rubber part of the hangers. Im going to try and explain the the best I can..... I took a zip tie and put it through the rubber piece so the zip tie was pulling the metal hanger toward the top of the rubber piece when it was pulled tight. Then I cut a piece of wood so it would fit into the lower half of the rubber piece and prevect the hanger from bouncing up and down on bumps. ThenI zip tied the wood into place.....Sounds kinda bootleg...but you dont see it and it works.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:28 PM
BigNasty06
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Nick!

This is definitely something MRT should document somewhere, or change the design.

If worse comes to worse, and I wear a hole in there, I guess can just have the mid pipe replaced.

ORIGINAL: NickSezz

As for the rattle; this is caused by the mid pipe being to close to the black cross bar under it. The MRT hangs a bit lower and lessons the clearance. To fix this, the mid pipe has to be rotated clockwise (I think). I found a pretty easy way to do this: Loosen the mid pipe bolts to where it connects to the y-pipe. Then losen the bolt on the axle back. Shove a piece of a 2x4 between the mid pipe and the black cross bar. Finally, tighten everything up and you should now have plenty of clearance over the cross bar and for the tip and bumper clearance.

Update:

Another thing I did to help with the noise was to stiffen up the rubber part of the hangers. Im going to try and explain the the best I can..... I took a zip tie and put it through the rubber piece so the zip tie was pulling the metal hanger toward the top of the rubber piece when it was pulled tight. Then I cut a piece of wood so it would fit into the lower half of the rubber piece and prevect the hanger from bouncing up and down on bumps. ThenI zip tied the wood into place.....Sounds kinda bootleg...but you dont see it and it works.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:26 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

well the main problem is the mrt only has two hangers and they have to be pretty long...the distance between the top of the muffler chamber and the beginning of the tip on the mrt is longer than that of the stock muffler, so it has to hang lower to actually fit into the notch of the bumper. I don't even worry about rattles in this car anymore. I just turn up the music. Hell i probably cant hear most of em from the mrt anyway.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:52 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

yeah my mrt rattles a little during turns
Old 07-02-2007, 11:42 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NickSezz

Update:

wish i could do that, lol how much do u charge to fix it? already spent $100 to ford and they fixed it once and couldnt refixed, its so annoying
Old 07-02-2007, 11:55 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Id prob do it for 20 bux or some beer..

Ithink im gunna take mine off and rework the way it hangs...then ill post up my results.

Quick Reply: MRT Aeroturbine Installed....Sorta