Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 09:37 AM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Which Supercharger?

ORIGINAL: chrisc

ORIGINAL: pperin
The warantee will only be void if the problem with the car can be directly tied to the mod.
As for the SC I heard the Eaton style X-charger is a great option for a street car the power is avalable at all the power band since the SC is always spinning. There is a "bypass" valve that releives pressure when there is a vacuum ( at cruise, part throttle of decelaration) the "bypass" valve opens with no boost. But when you hit it the valve closes giving instant boost since the charger is already spinning. As opposed to the Paxton of Vortex type chargers which make power in the higher RPM's
I have been thinking of going this way cause it's street usable power
well, the issue with the roots blowers on the street is exactly what you said. it is easy to get into boost at low RPMs. infact, it is not just "easy", it is inevitable. generally a "good street system" is considered to drive like stock when you want, and be a beast when you want. xcharger guys always say, "this system is great, I am out of boost 80% of the time of normal driving." actually, that is not so great on the engine. during normal driving, you should stay 100% out of boost. that is a big reason why people go with centri blowers and turbos for street applications. Before I bought my system, I asked A LOT of people (outside the mustang world, so no biases at all) and they all recommended centris for street use (turbos require more maintenance). I know I will probably get bashed for saying this, but it is what I feel. I hate to see so many people go for a system without looking at all the aspects of it. I recommend you go to www.superchargersonline.com and check out some of the articles they have. They will help you a lot in choosing your system for your application.

ORIGINAL: azstanglover
Then don't bother supercharging it. I know people will say that legally it doesn't void the warranty but when you take it in for repairs and they refuse to do the warranty work then what are you really going to do about it? You could try fighting Ford in court but that takes time and probably more money that what most people have.
he is totally correct, people will say "no it is not legal for them to void....blah blah blah" but when **** hits the fan, they are not going to cover it, simple as that
Actually you need to be more specific about "normal" driving conditions. My car is completely out of boost when I'm cruising. When I lay into the accelerator I get boost but that happens a lot and this is normal driving for me. I don't know how a centri system works but my system has no lag from acceclerator to the ground at any range on the power band.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:01 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pperin

The warantee will only be void if the problem with the car can be directly tied to the mod.
As for the SC I heard the Eaton style X-charger is a great option for a street car the power is avalable at all the power band since the SC is always spinning. There is a "bypass" valve that releives pressure when there is a vacuum ( at cruise, part throttle of decelaration) the "bypass" valve opens with no boost. But when you hit it the valve closes giving instant boost since the charger is already spinning. As opposed to the Paxton of Vortex type chargers which make power in the higher RPM's
I have been thinking of going this way cause it's street usable power
a centrifugal is spinning all the time too! I step on the gas it will make power too! It's just that the boost is a more gradual/linear based on RPM. This can be either good or bad... all depends on who you talk to...

Trust me I have "street usable power"... LOL
Old 07-08-2007, 10:13 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

I have a centri and before I changed thetransmission, could drive around town all day and not produce any boost. Three months ago, I took car on 800 mile road trip and got 24.9 mpg (almost all leisurely highway driving). One thing though about the Procharger, it's rpm hungry andwill keep making more boost with increasing rpms. Mine is advertised as a10 lb unitbut makes a certified 14 lbs at 6400 rpm. That can good or bad.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

This discussion can stop right here if maintaining the drivetrain warranty is a must.

Ford can't deny you warranty coverage on non-related items (for instance putting a blower on your car wouldn't let them wriggle out of covering the power windows or seat upholstery) but you can bet they're going to bounce most engine problems and very likely transmission, rear end, etc (you ARE feeding more power through those systems with a blower).

Regarding Chris' comments regarding the "X", you can cruise around and stay out of boost 100% of the time with the "X" (just don't plant your foot deep into the "go" pedal). Why anyone would want to do that is a totally different matter....
Old 07-08-2007, 04:25 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

I have driven roots charged cars before, it is not just from what I hear. if you get about 1/3 of wot, you will go into boost. Sometimes, you want to go 1/3 with no boost, such as merging during heavy traffic. I am not bashing the system, dont get me wrong. They are really good for racing, especially road tracks.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc

I have driven roots charged cars before, it is not just from what I hear. if you get about 1/3 of wot, you will go into boost. Sometimes, you want to go 1/3 with no boost, such as merging during heavy traffic. I am not bashing the system, dont get me wrong. They are really good for racing, especially road tracks.
Well, I have no idea which Roots based vehicles you've driven (the Eaton is a modified roots btw, not a traditional one like a Jimmy or B&M roots blower) but I drive an X-charged 'Stang all the time. 1/3 throttle will NOT put you into boost with an X-car. you have to be pretty deep into the throttle (like 75-80%) to close the bypass valve.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:28 AM
pperin
I ♥ Acer

I respectfully defer to the guys here that are Sc'd I was just passing on info I got from Explorer Express