Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Stang68

Default Which Supercharger?

Hey guys,

I am looking to buy a supercharger for my '06 v6. I am leaning towards the Paxton Supercharger because that is the one the shleby website uses. What do you guys think? Has anyone has experience with a supercharger? What brands do you suggest?

Thanks guys!
Old 07-07-2007, 04:58 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Which Supercharger?

Dunno too much about the paxton other than it is a tweeked vortech that costs more. Procharger will get you the most power. I and a few others use the vortech which is pretty reliable. Xcharger you will be able to install yourself most likely. Any of them will get the job done. Only thing i can reccomend is get the high output version of whichever one you choose
Old 07-07-2007, 05:07 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

how much money are you willing to spend?
are you gonna be looking for great track times, or is this just a street car that you want to have some more oomph?
Would you feel comfortable installing any of them yourself?
Old 07-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Stang68

i am looking for a street car to get more "oomph". Price range: 2,000 - 3500. Installing myself, im not sure. I kinda want a dealer to install it so that the warranty of the car doesnt go out the window bc thats what i heard. If i have a "professionally certified" person install, then i wont have any problems.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:24 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

well you got two problems on your plate:

1) you are not going to find a system for that price
2) warranty will be gone no matter who installs it
Old 07-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Stang68

hmm. well price isnt that much of a deal. But the warranty...i want to keep that. Anyways, any other brands you guys have used, just in case i change my mind about the warranty?
Old 07-07-2007, 07:08 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

I have a vortech standard kit. I am really needing more power so in 3 weeks I am putting on the max flow cooling system and bumping it up to 14psi. There are not too many options on superchargers. Procharger (d/p), Vortech (h/o, standard), Xcharger (h/o, standard), Paxton (only one person has used this system). Take your pick!
Old 07-07-2007, 07:12 PM
pperin
I ♥ Acer

The warantee will only be void if the problem with the car can be directly tied to the mod.
As for the SC I heard the Eaton style X-charger is a great option for a street car the power is avalable at all the power band since the SC is always spinning. There is a "bypass" valve that releives pressure when there is a vacuum ( at cruise, part throttle of decelaration) the "bypass" valve opens with no boost. But when you hit it the valve closes giving instant boost since the charger is already spinning. As opposed to the Paxton of Vortex type chargers which make power in the higher RPM's
I have been thinking of going this way cause it's street usable power
Old 07-07-2007, 08:28 PM
azstanglover
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stang68

But the warranty...i want to keep that. Anyways, any other brands you guys have used, just in case i change my mind about the warranty?
Then don't bother supercharging it. I know people will say that legally it doesn't void the warranty but when you take it in for repairs and they refuse to do the warranty work then what are you really going to do about it? You could try fighting Ford in court but that takes time and probably more money that what most people have.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:17 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pperin
The warantee will only be void if the problem with the car can be directly tied to the mod.
As for the SC I heard the Eaton style X-charger is a great option for a street car the power is avalable at all the power band since the SC is always spinning. There is a "bypass" valve that releives pressure when there is a vacuum ( at cruise, part throttle of decelaration) the "bypass" valve opens with no boost. But when you hit it the valve closes giving instant boost since the charger is already spinning. As opposed to the Paxton of Vortex type chargers which make power in the higher RPM's
I have been thinking of going this way cause it's street usable power
well, the issue with the roots blowers on the street is exactly what you said. it is easy to get into boost at low RPMs. infact, it is not just "easy", it is inevitable. generally a "good street system" is considered to drive like stock when you want, and be a beast when you want. xcharger guys always say, "this system is great, I am out of boost 80% of the time of normal driving." actually, that is not so great on the engine. during normal driving, you should stay 100% out of boost. that is a big reason why people go with centri blowers and turbos for street applications. Before I bought my system, I asked A LOT of people (outside the mustang world, so no biases at all) and they all recommended centris for street use (turbos require more maintenance). I know I will probably get bashed for saying this, but it is what I feel. I hate to see so many people go for a system without looking at all the aspects of it. I recommend you go to www.superchargersonline.com and check out some of the articles they have. They will help you a lot in choosing your system for your application.

ORIGINAL: azstanglover
Then don't bother supercharging it. I know people will say that legally it doesn't void the warranty but when you take it in for repairs and they refuse to do the warranty work then what are you really going to do about it? You could try fighting Ford in court but that takes time and probably more money that what most people have.
he is totally correct, people will say "no it is not legal for them to void....blah blah blah" but when **** hits the fan, they are not going to cover it, simple as that

Quick Reply: Which Supercharger?