Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT Takeoffs

Old 07-12-2007, 08:04 PM
FBullitt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: GT Takeoffs

ORIGINAL: DylanFan

Do you know the part numbers? If so would you share them with us?
I got the manual GT mufflers from Diversified on Ebay. About $80 total including shipping. I have seen them go a bit less.

I requested the manual mufflers for my manual V6. Here is the numbers for manual FI-7849-L, FI-7849-R. One day I searched on these forums and found these same numbers posted for the manual as well as the numbers for the auto. So, I think the manual numbers are correct.

When ordering from Diversified I think it said to specify manual or auto. So you should be able to get manual mufflers if desired.

I like the sound of the single takeoff. It is pretty deep and not too loud.I think it has helped gas mileage a little, but not sure. I also think it smoothed the off idle response when letting out the clutch from dead stop.

Only complaint I have is that the exhaust tipsticks out a bit for my tastes. I am thinking of taking the muffler off and taking it to a shop and havingit cut thesame length as the stock muffler. I am also thinking of going to duals with an H-Pipe.But I keep seeing here on these forums that there is no gain over the single GT takeoff bygoing to duals.

I am curious about anybody elses observations concerning gas mileage or performance gains with the single takeoff.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:29 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Yep, gas milage increased and there is a little
more low end torque. I used the butt dyno.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:37 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FBullitt

Only complaint I have is that the exhaust tipsticks out a bit for my tastes. I am thinking of taking the muffler off and taking it to a shop and havingit cut thesame length as the stock muffler. I am also thinking of going to duals with an H-Pipe.But I keep seeing here on these forums that there is no gain over the single GT takeoff bygoing to duals.

I am curious about anybody elses observations concerning gas mileage or performance gains with the single takeoff.
I was impressed with the work Justin at VMP did on a dyno to come up with the most gain for least money (see his thread in the VMP sponsors forum).

As for the exhaust tip, I was surprised that it stuck out so much farther. But, I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Most of these aftermarket exhaust tips are even bigger and flashier than the GT takeoffs, so I think this is about as "subtle" as you can get in an exhaust mod.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:39 PM
heslekrants
2nd Gear Member

I have dual manual GT mufflers. They flow better and have a deeper sound than the mufflers for the automatics. One of Fords better ideas.

Bang for the buck running a single manual GT muffler is the way to go. A simple 10 minute swap and sounds great. I did this 1st.I went duals just for the visual.

When I had the 2nd muffler installed I ranthem from thecatswithout a X or H pipe.It didn't sound as good as the single muffler, had a slightly rough idle, a dead spot at 5,500rpms, andabove 3,000rpms it had a ricer sound.

Install an X pipe and the sound is awesome for a V6. No more ricer sound. Click below to here it run.
I still had the rough idle & dead spot at 5,500rpms.

Added the C&L intake & tune andnow it runs awesome.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:06 PM
ndnboy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FBullitt

ORIGINAL: DylanFan

Do you know the part numbers? If so would you share them with us?
I got the manual GT mufflers from Diversified on Ebay. About $80 total including shipping. I have seen them go a bit less.

I requested the manual mufflers for my manual V6. Here is the numbers for manual FI-7849-L, FI-7849-R. One day I searched on these forums and found these same numbers posted for the manual as well as the numbers for the auto. So, I think the manual numbers are correct.

When ordering from Diversified I think it said to specify manual or auto. So you should be able to get manual mufflers if desired.

I like the sound of the single takeoff. It is pretty deep and not too loud.I think it has helped gas mileage a little, but not sure. I also think it smoothed the off idle response when letting out the clutch from dead stop.

Just asked about GT take off in another thread, bump!

So for about $80 you get 2 GTmufflers, thatsounds good.

How difficult is it to put on? Is there any cutting/welding required or are they just clamped on back there?? Any added HP going to the GT take offs?

If you buy a set of two but only used one,can the other one be used on another car? If so, any out there for sale??
Old 07-13-2007, 10:30 PM
heslekrants
2nd Gear Member

To install just one muffler no cutting or welding is required. Handtools & about 10 minutes you will be cruising in a sweet sounding V6.

With the single muffler I didn't have any idle issues or that 5,500rpm dead spot that I got with the dual setup.

If you have the money go for tuner. Worth every penny!
Old 07-16-2007, 08:26 PM
rossbra2

I have a take off for sale. My dad just got a GT and he put a new exhaust on right away. make me an offer