Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

whats that noise?

Old 07-13-2007, 04:44 PM
05nightrider
2nd Gear Member

Default whats that noise?

so i have a question... i have a 5spd and when i shift from second to third and third to fourth esp i hear a strange noise that sounds almost like a blow off valve on a turbo. anyone know what that is? i can make it do it when i shift any gear if i throw the clutch out quickly and nail the gas
Old 07-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: whats that noise?

I have the exact same problem. It started after I had the car for about 1000 miles. Also, if the car is in neutral and I let out the clutch, it makes the same noise. Kind of like stirring crushed ice, but at a very low volume. Some people have suggested it's a bad throwout bearing in the clutch. I'm taking it in tomorrow morning to have it checked out. I'll let you know what they say.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:34 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Charlie321

I have the exact same problem. It started after I had the car for about 1000 miles. Also, if the car is in neutral and I let out the clutch, it makes the same noise. Kind of like stirring crushed ice, but at a very low volume. Some people have suggested it's a bad throwout bearing in the clutch. I'm taking it in tomorrow morning to have it checked out. I'll let you know what they say.
I think they all do that....Mine makes that same noise and runs perfectly.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:49 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

These model cars have noisy clutches / tranny. Sucks its just the way it is
Old 07-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, mine runs fine too, but it didn't always make the noise. If it had the day I picked it up, I wouldn't have bought it. It sounds broken.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:51 AM
05nightrider
2nd Gear Member

yea this is a new noise only started hearing it after like 45k mi... the cars still runs ok...let me know what the dealer says
Old 07-15-2007, 06:28 PM
05nightrider
2nd Gear Member

any results on the tranny noise?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

So I got it checked out and they said the noise was the result of "gear rollover". Apparently, this is common on some of the Tremec trannies and is suffered by owners of some Corvettes, Mazda Miatas, RX8s, and Ford Focuses. There's a Service Bulletin documenting it. I refused to leave unless they at least checked the transmission oil for metal shavings. They changed the oil while they were at it, just to see if it would have any effect. It did. The noise is much diminished now. I then picked up some Dynamat and covered the transmission tunnel. The new oil and the Dynamat really helped a lot. The transmission sounds tolerable now. The guy did mention to be careful with synthetic oils. Lower viscosity will diminish gear rollover, but will also diminish the life of the syncros.

So long story short, the problem seems normal, and there are a few things you can do to mitigate the noise, but there isn't much you can do to eliminate it, unless you're willing to risk a lower viscosity oil.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:53 AM
billybix76
2nd Gear Member

but there isn't much you can do to eliminate it, unless you're willing to risk a lower viscosity oil.
S"funny but thats what I did. After talking to my Ford engineer friend He said he uses Royal Purple Synchromax. Says it is not Lower viscosisty just better lubricant. I have been running RP in my T-5 for 6 Months and It is much quieter and no gear rollover noise at all. IMO its not a risk at all to use a higher quality multi-viscocity tranny fluid to solve gear noise and provide much smoother shifts and better syncro function...
Old 07-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: billybix76

but there isn't much you can do to eliminate it, unless you're willing to risk a lower viscosity oil.
S"funny but thats what I did. After talking to my Ford engineer friend He said he uses Royal Purple Synchromax. Says it is not Lower viscosisty just better lubricant. I have been running RP in my T-5 for 6 Months and It is much quieter and no gear rollover noise at all. IMO its not a risk at all to use a higher quality multi-viscocity tranny fluid to solve gear noise and provide much smoother shifts and better syncro function...
Right you are. My guy did mention that if I insist on using a synthetic, to use the stuff rated for ATF. I'm very tempted to do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: whats that noise?