Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

mail order tunes

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 01:51 AM
S1ckStang
2nd Gear Member

Default mail order tunes

i am going to be ordering a custom tune from either bamachips brenspeed or vmp since alternative is not accepting orders i believes. now i just have a few questions.

1. what is the real difference between like the performance tune and race tune because bama has both, which will give the best performance increase i am nto worried about mpg just best improvements.

2. also is there that big of a performance difference in a 93 tune to an 87 like say 87 race and 93 race?

3. and finally does anyone have any experience with any of these tuners and would you recommend one over the others for performance gains???

thank you for all the help guys i appreciatew the advice.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:28 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Default RE: mail order tunes

Why not call the tuner and ask? Or viisit a local tuner (as per your profile location)
http://www.teamjdm.com - NJ
http://www.evoperform.com/shop- cross the river in PA
Old 07-18-2007, 08:10 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: GrayPony

Why not call the tuner and ask? Or viisit a local tuner (as per your profile location)
http://www.teamjdm.com - NJ
http://www.evoperform.com/shop- cross the river in PA
I got two free dyno pulls at Evolution when I bought their CAI/tuner package. You should ask them if that's still offered. They even recalibrated my SCT handheld tuner for free when I swapped the parts from my vert to my coupe.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:12 AM
DUG5SPD
2nd Gear Member

All i have to say is 93 RACE!! higher octane = higher performance and race tunesare the best from my experience, i burn 2nd gear every time i get on it. 93 race from doug at b a m a.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:35 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DUG5SPD

All i have to say is 93 RACE!! higher octane = higher performance and race tunesare the best from my experience, i burn 2nd gear every time i get on it. 93 race from doug at b a m a.
The question was what's the difference.
And how many "race tunes" have you run? and from how many different tuners?
You have time slips or dyno sheets to qualify your claim?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

maybe just email doug@bamma or justin@vmp with the race vs. performance tune question. i asked the same question awhile back with no clear or consistent answers. as for octane, 87 vs. 93 should be a noticeable but not outragous difference. can't see there being a noticeable diff. between a 91 and 93 however. and finally for the tuner, reasearch the features on both and see what you like best. IMO, that choice is a no lose situation. i have a diablo and really like the PC compatibility. also, they coordinate and integrate well with C&L and doug@bamma (i myself am waiting for the funding to order my C&L[8D]). the SCT's are very popular here on the forums and i have heard nothing negative at all about those units either. good luck.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:59 PM
DUG5SPD
2nd Gear Member

hey grey pony, i dont need dyno sheets to prove that higher octane = higher performance. and i have talked to doug a b a m a, and for what this kid wants, aka what i wanted, DOUG told me i should get the 93 race, from an sct. I dont have experience with a diablo, but i have read about them and i have the xcal 2, and once again DOUG told me to get the xcal, but i didnt really matter for a manual (shift pressure and what not)

1. what is the real difference between like the performance tune and race tune because **** has both, which will give the best performance increase i am nto worried about mpg just best improvements.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:02 PM
DUG5SPD
2nd Gear Member

also grey pony, i need time slips to tell someone that the 93 race tune is alot of fun, and it helps the car perform better? u need to chill out, he asked what would give him the best perf, therefore i said "FROM MY EXPERIENCE" I like the 93 race.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DUG5SPD

.......I dont have experience with a diablo, but i have read about them and i have the xcal 2, and once again DOUG told me to get the xcal, but i didnt really matter for a manual (shift pressure and what not)
i take it you got an automatic? i heard for automatics, SCT has better shift adjustment features. for manual, its a toss up and either one will do you well. my stang is an automatic and i have a diablo but i ain't gonna spend more money than i already have for a few more adjustments on a tuner. besides, the diablo has been working out just fine and i don't race my stang anyways so the few more adjustments won't really benefit me much. by the way, do you know if doug makes a MPG tune? i could really use one when i take my stang on trips.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:56 PM
DUG5SPD
2nd Gear Member

no i have a manual lol thats y it doesnt really matter for me. and im not sure if doug makes a mpg tune, but with my experience i have gotten the best milage to money ratio out of the 87 perf. i drove up north 4 hrs, and used the 87 perf on the way ther and got 27 miles to the gallon, and on the way back i used 93 race and got 25. this was all highway though, so i dont know about city. and i may have drove the 93 tune a little harder on the way back , cant really stay off the gas with the 93 race, hahaha

Quick Reply: mail order tunes