Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rain Driving?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Rain Driving?

I'm 22 that's why it's my DD!
Old 07-18-2007, 07:42 PM
drivingperson
1st Gear Member

would the gt wheels/tires help in the rain or are they the same
Old 07-18-2007, 08:18 PM
jude69
1st Gear Member

I've had my Mustang for a little over a year now. I have the stock BFG tires. I've had no problems what so ever. I drive 80 miles round trip daily (mostly highway drive). I drove through two snow storms this past winter with no issues, although I wondered why I didn't stay the hell home during one of them (road conditions were really bad). This past week, I was driving home from work through a nasty rain storm during rush hour. It was raining so hard at one point that I could not see in front of me at all (I was in the middle lane of a three lane highway) with the windshield wipers at full speed. The car handled fine. You just have to take it slow. I can't stress that enough. I agree that the stock tires are probably not the greatest, and you can improve your ride by replacing them, but there is no substitute for careful driving. I have to question those who complain about the stock tires after crashing or getting into an accident and I wonder if the driver is to blame, not the tires. For example, exiting an off ramp doing 70 in a 30mph turn on a raining road. Get my point. And no, I do not work for BFG, and yes, when it's time to replace the tires, I will probably get 17 inch take off rims and wider tires.

Just another point of view.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

jude what mph do u normally travel in the rain? I drive around 40mph usually and sometimes touch 45 but everyone says that's way too slow. I think their crazy. Nothing wrong with drivin 42 in the rain in the slow lane on the highway! Right?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:56 PM
ricekiller06
2nd Gear Member

also our cars aer totally worthless when it comes to driving in the snow
Old 07-18-2007, 09:58 PM
saitolio

Hi, I've had had my V6 for about a month now and am very happy with the car. However after buying the car have been reading reviews recommending not to get it without the Anti-lock brakes and traction control option. Would anyone say the car is dangerous without it (specially with rain, etc.)? Also, is this a firmware thing only thing or is there a physical mechanism added too?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:10 PM
jude69
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

jude what mph do u normally travel in the rain? I drive around 40mph usually and sometimes touch 45 but everyone says that's way too slow. I think their crazy. Nothing wrong with drivin 42 in the rain in the slow lane on the highway! Right?
It depends. I usually go with the flow of traffic. I'll stay in the middle lane if it's really pouring. Basically, I will not be in the passing lane driving 70 under these conditions. 40 to 45 sounds about right if it is really coming down.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:23 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

Thanx for the info so after I switch to a better brand Drag Radial that's the same size, I should be able to do 50 in the rain fine? Also, do u think subframe connectors or rear upper and lower control arms would help with traction in the rain? Ideas about a T-Lok?

Thanks ahead of time!
That's a big NO. Drag Radials are horrible in the rain. I didn't say they were dangerous - just horrible. I run 28" dia M&H Racemaster DR's regularly in warm weather - even rain. You just gotta be careful. Also, the tire mfgrs say not to run DR's below 40 degrees.

You should replace your factory 16" BFG's with a better tire. In the winter, I have a set of 17" Pirelli Sotto SNOW TIRES on take-off Bullittt rims, and they are GREAT in the rain and snow. Having a good set of tires makes all the difference.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:24 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

I have been happy with the way my Mustang handles in bad weather. (GT/manual/antilock brakes/17 inch wheels/Pirellis). Essentially, I adjust my speed to stay away from other cars (usually stay with flow of traffic). And anticipate what others might do. I have the antilock brakes but they haven't ever had to kick in. Compared to other things I've driven over the years, it handles pretty neutral to me. (I drive the Mustang in all weather/everywhere unless I need to haul something in my truck, I bought my Mustang to drive it). The one thing I do is turn the headlights on a lot, because it seems my silver car can be invisible at times!

Sleeper2
Old 07-19-2007, 09:36 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Ok so would u suggest Drag Radials for the spring/summer/fall and Winter tires for the winter, orall season tires? Any suggestions? Then what should I do if I'm at college or work and it's raining bad when I have Drag Radial's on my car, Wait till the rain stops beforeI make my 25 min ride home??? I'm a bit confused of what to donow.

Quick Reply: Rain Driving?