Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tuner on Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:39 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Tuner on Manual?

ORIGINAL: Wickerbill
I am an engine builder

does anyone know, mechanically speaking, how a ECM flash increases horsepower and torque? fuel management i guess but if you can get substantial bumps in hp/tq why isnt this done from factory unless it decreases the service of the componets?
[&:] You should know if you are an engine builder that all stock production cars have to adhere to strict emission laws, safety standards, etc. Through tuning you can change the amount of fuel, timing, etc. to create more power across the entire rpm range, which is pretty noticable power wise, but if the car were to be thoroughly inspected it would not be up to emission standards. Plus, im sure ford could pull a bit more power out of it, but when it is already the most powerful, fastest car for the price (new) why would they want to make power numbers closer to the gt? You are not going to put significantly more stress on the engine or any drivetrain componenets for that matter with a tune (especially with a manual tranny). With a blower, you are putting much more stress on your entire drivetrain intercooled or not (non-intercooled more so because of excess heat), so you really cant compare the two by their effect on drivetrain longevity. If you don't think the tune is worth it for the money and would rather have the blower, go for it, but not for engine longevity because a tune only/bolt on car will outlast a blown car by quite a bit if both are cared for and maintanenced properly.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

I am an engine builder, the engines i build though are deisels in heavy equipment, therefore the emissions thing goes out the window. I dont build car engines for a living but have done a few for friends. The last engine i built was a caterpillar D348 that goes in a 777 rock truck that has twin turbo's twin aftercoolers 4 thermostats 12 cyl, with dual overhead cams on each bankand weighs 10,000 lbs. It produces 1500 hp and 3000 ft/lbs of torque and stands 7 ft. tall. I have pictures of the build if someone could tell me how to post pictures on the forum, they are awesome and im sure you car guys would appreciate the large scale...
Old 07-23-2007, 08:53 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

I am an engine builder, the engines i build though are deisels in heavy equipment, therefore the emissions thing goes out the window. I dont build car engines for a living but have done a few for friends. The last engine i built was a caterpillar D348 that goes in a 777 rock truck that has twin turbo's twin aftercoolers 4 thermostats 12 cyl, with dual overhead cams on each bankand weighs 10,000 lbs. It produces 1500 hp and 3000 ft/lbs of torque and stands 7 ft. tall. I have pictures of the build if someone could tell me how to post pictures on the forum, they are awesome and im sure you car guys would appreciate the large scale...
Hell yeah I love engines! Im not a car guy im an engine guy. I want to design them someday after I get my Mechanical engineering tech degree...Ive been workin on engines since I was six...can't get enough.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:27 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

i did not mean to give the impression that i thought you were lying, sorry about that. I just thought maybe there was something different about what you meant by "engine builder" like this. This makes more sense, but hey think about this...all forms of forced induction will require a tune. Most give a discount if you already have the tuner, so why not get the tuner with a decent tune, load it up, see how it feels and if you aren't happy go forced induction. You need a tuner eventually anyway!
Old 07-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/a...ckerbill_Pony/

Here is a link to my photobucket page i just created. It shows a couple of the engines I have built....enjoy!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:54 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

That's a large engine haha