Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Painting your own Louvers

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 10:31 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

Default Painting your own Louvers

Anyone tried it? I really don't want to pay the extra 100 something dollars to have it prepainted, and I assume it would be similar to go to a body shop.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:12 PM
theresa
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Painting your own Louvers

I had mine painted at dealers and they did a crappy job, lots of runs and contamination. Had to take 'em back and have them re-done. They aren't perfect but better then they were.
Hopefully SOME DAY my husband will put them on.........
Old 07-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: banka87

Anyone tried it? I really don't want to pay the extra 100 something dollars to have it prepainted, and I assume it would be similar to go to a body shop.
go to a good auto paint store with your paint code. Have the store mix up a couple cans of aerosol paint for you. Prep, prep, prep and then prep some more using a good quality primer/sealer and graduating to a fine, fine wet sand paper of at least 600 grit. The better the surface the less sanding you'll have to do on the actual paint. Spray several light coats, sanding lightly between each coat. After the last coat wet sand, the rubbing compound, then polishing compound to make it shiny and gleaming. Ask the paint store what to use for primer, they know. You can do a good looking job this way. I've done it lots of times.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:46 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ken04

go to a good auto paint store with your paint code. Have the store mix up a couple cans of aerosol paint for you. Prep, prep, prep and then prep some more using a good quality primer/sealer and graduating to a fine, fine wet sand paper of at least 600 grit. The better the surface the less sanding you'll have to do on the actual paint. Spray several light coats, sanding lightly between each coat. After the last coat wet sand, the rubbing compound, then polishing compound to make it shiny and gleaming. Ask the paint store what to use for primer, they know. You can do a good looking job this way. I've done it lots of times.
I don't see a mention of clearcoat in your how to. Without the clearcoat or the proper color primer you won't get a good match.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:15 PM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GrayPony

ORIGINAL: Ken04

I don't see a mention of clearcoat in your how to. Without the clearcoat or the proper color primer you won't get a good match.
paint store, best place to get info. They'll know if it's laquer, enamel, acrylic, whatever and be able to get him fixed up with what he needs. I am no painter, I go to the paint store, tell em what I want to do, pay then go do it.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

yeah I would suggest paying a professional to do it. Ive had some body work experience and there are alot of things that go into a good paint job. First you need your base color, catalyst,reducer, and clear. And depending on the material of the louvers the paint shop would first spray it with adhesion promoter first because your paint wontadhere properly without it, the same they use for bumper covers. Then if you plan on buffing them to match the cars paint you would need at least 3 coats of clear. All Im saying is you get alot for that $100 paint job at the paint shop. I would paint them myself but I already have all my materials from painting my bumper cover, if you were to buy the materials to do it like the body shop wouldyou would have $100 already invested
Old 07-25-2007, 10:36 AM
samuraidad
1st Gear Member

Hey here is another thought if you do not want to pay a shop. Do you have a have vo tech school or a high school with a body shop in the area. Usually they will do it for the cost of parts or in this case thepaint. (the paint can be expensive so check the price at an auto paint store first). If you make a donation you make a friend. they will usually have the senior students do the painting. At our school they actually do some very good work.

[/align]
Old 07-25-2007, 11:10 AM
DUG5SPD
2nd Gear Member

wait so with the roush louvers can you get them pre painted?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:55 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DUG5SPD

wait so with the roush louvers can you get them pre painted?
Yes you can ... visit the Roush site.

http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=654
Old 07-25-2007, 01:02 PM
DUG5SPD
2nd Gear Member

cool thanx!

Quick Reply: Painting your own Louvers