Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger or Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 05:31 PM
05Sixxer
2nd Gear Member

Default Supercharger or Turbo?

In the next 5-6 months I plan on adding mods to eventually build up to a Supercharger or Turbo Setup. 3.73 gears, T-Lok, Suspension etc. I would like a pretty fast street/track car. Pushing high 11's /12's in the quarter. I am willing to put more money into pre-supporting/post supporting mods to reach this goal. Would a turbo or S/C benefit me more? I would be using pipeline for turbo, Vortech for Supercharher.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:36 PM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger or Turbo?

I would go with a supercharger most definately. Turbo's, all turbo's, have what is called turbo-lag.Turbo works off exhaust gases so there is an amount of time, very very short amount of time, that it takes for a turbo to build up to peak performance.So a turbo is going to perform better athigher rpm's.As where a supercharger is pulley driven, and now self contained thus eliminating the need to drill a hole in your oil pan for oil drain, much more effecient power in all rpm ranges.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:47 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Turbo-lag is old school. You dont feel it at all anymore with new turbos. I bet that spooling up the turbo will take just the same amount of time to "spool" a centri supercharger. All the guys running killer track times are running turbos. If you really wanna go fast, get the turbo.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Denny Carlton
2nd Gear Member

Chrisc! Has a point!
I think if your doing more street driving, go with the vortech.
If your looking for big track numbers, than go with the turbo.
I maybe wrong, if so some one will jump in and kick my a**
Later,
Denny
Old 07-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

I would go with a supercharger most definately. Turbo's, all turbo's, have what is called turbo-lag.Turbo works off exhaust gases so there is an amount of time, very very short amount of time, that it takes for a turbo to build up to peak performance.So a turbo is going to perform better athigher rpm's.As where a supercharger is pulley driven, and now self contained thus eliminating the need to drill a hole in your oil pan for oil drain, much more effecient power in all rpm ranges.
Turbo's do indeed work off of exhaust gases, that much is correct.
Proper turbo sizing is the key to efficiency with the car. Get that right and there is no "lag". This is a common misconception about modern day turbos.
To say that the supercharger is much more efficent in all rpm ranges is insane. Go to the other forum and look at some of the dyno graphs. Turbos are flat out more efficient across the board, this cannot be disputed.
They are also torque monsters and track tyrants.
Streetability is like driving a stock vehicle when you want as it is simple to stay out of boost.
I am not taking anything away from superchargers, they all have their place, but if your goals are high 11's the best option is the turbo.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:43 PM
05Sixxer
2nd Gear Member

Thanks buckman, high 11's is what im shooting for. It seems like a better goal to shoot for until I can start getting into the nitty gritty with the engine.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:21 PM
Denny Carlton
2nd Gear Member

I told you, I was going to get my a** kick! Hey! Buckman! I see the turbo dyno sheets v.s. supercharger sheets and I know the turbo is putting out a different signal. I'll use the word different signal, than the superchargers (I don't want to get beat up two times in one day) Ok! The guys I go to on long island is saying, the superchager would be better for my car. I'll try not to get of the subject! They are saying that where I live will f-up the turbo, because of the streets are very bad and I can see that with my new suspension. What do you think, is that some bullsh*t or what? Thanks, Denny
Old 07-24-2007, 08:47 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Odd, the PH turbo kit is top quality, you will have no clearance issues with it even on a lowered car. Lances car is lowered, as is the PH V6 car. You may want to ask your friends if they had a recent vet checkup.

As for tubo lag, as Buckman (Lance) said, no lag if sized right and on our kits, they are sized right. Instant power, insane tq and 11's are yours. I would do the turbo.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:48 PM
05Sixxer
2nd Gear Member

Thanks rygen, would I have to contact pipeline or a turbo manufacture for them to size?
Old 07-24-2007, 08:48 PM
05Sixxer
2nd Gear Member

Thanks rygen, would I have to contact pipeline or a turbo manufacturer for them to size?

Quick Reply: Supercharger or Turbo?