Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tint Law in California?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 12:59 AM
proper
2nd Gear Member

Default Tint Law in California?

hey does any1 live in Socal ? cuz a lot of my friends are telling me two different opinions on the tint law in california...

(1) Side/Front windows cannot be tinted.... back/rear windows can be limo tint

(2) only the front window canNOT be tinted but the rest can
Old 07-29-2007, 01:06 AM
wyldwmn65
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Tint Law in California?

I am not to sure about the exact law. But have several friends who are either cops in a city or for the CHP. What they have told me is that cops in the city generally don't care about tint, but the CHP does and will pull you over. My previous car had limo all the way around except the windshield, and knock on wood I never had a problem.Now I have limo on the back 3 and 35% on the front 2. I have had no issues to this date. But truth be told if I am pulling up to a red light and a cop is sitting there, I roll them down before I get next to him. Better safe than tintless.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:34 AM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

It's 1. I'd say cops don't usually care about the tint, unless you have limo all the way around or something, I have 20% back 3, and 35 fronts (driver and passenger). But I have heard about people getting pulled over a lot just for tint from my local tint shop because of some murder of a cop on the highway, and they're pulling over a lot of illegal tints and suspicous looking vehicles. But man does tint make a huge difference, I love it. Tint + alloy =
Old 07-29-2007, 04:14 AM
petepete
5th Gear Member

I live in Socal and rule 1 is the law. Have had tickets on other cars i owne dan dmany friends thta go tickets that have limo tint all around or just limo on the rear and rear sides and like half of limo on the front/sides. No tin allow on front windsheild driver windshield or passenger windshield all other windows can be tinted. So on our cars the back window and the 2 small ones can be tinted.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:10 AM
OIIIIO
4th Gear Member

http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html
Old 07-29-2007, 09:45 AM
wyldwmn65
2nd Gear Member

great link, thank you
Old 07-29-2007, 03:22 PM
ScreamingYellow2005
2nd Gear Member

yea tint makes a hell of a difference i love it on my car
Old 07-29-2007, 07:55 PM
7SiNz
1st Gear Member

I live in San diego and have tint all the way around.. From what I've seen, you stand a good chance of getting pulled over if the tint is so dark that theycan't see you driving.. If they can see you then your typically ok..
Old 07-31-2007, 04:57 PM
pperin
I ♥ Acer

I live in San Diego and I have 15/35 tint but I know that front windows cannot be tinted but back can.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:47 PM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

i live in san diego too and the guy who did my tint told me state law says your rear windows and be as dark as you want. the front side windows can be no more than 70% tint. nothing on the windshield.

i have 35% in the back, 15% in the back. if i get around a cop, i typically lower my windows. and all is ok.

Quick Reply: Tint Law in California?