Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Nitrous on a sixer

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

Default Nitrous on a sixer

So it looks like i wont be able to afford any type of f/i for a while. so ive been looking into nitrous latley. its a cheaper route to go and u still get performance out of it. jw tho, anyone here runing just on nitrous, no f/i with it? what do u need to build up the engine so u can safely use it? just a thought, thanks.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:45 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Nitrous on a sixer

Look for the August '07 issue of Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords. There's a very informative install article of a NOS brand kit on a GT. It's a good resource.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:53 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dwisforme05

So it looks like i wont be able to afford any type of f/i for a while. so ive been looking into nitrous latley. its a cheaper route to go and u still get performance out of it. jw tho, anyone here runing just on nitrous, no f/i with it? what do u need to build up the engine so u can safely use it? just a thought, thanks.
You can easily run the 75 shot on the stock motor... just make sure you get a window switch! LOL! I would also make sure to get a good custom dyno tune to make sure every thing is working right... Key is not to get greedy..
Old 08-02-2007, 03:44 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

personally cameron, i would probably go this route if i were you anyway. doesn't you car have almost 70,000 miles on it or something like that? Going forced induction may not be worth it before having to replace the engine or buy a new car because forced induction or any power adder will take away from longevity of the drivetrain. I think most people here go with the zex kit that is made for the gt, but it works fine for our cars. You should get a locker/lsd and possibly some gears though with the nitrous, and like scrming said absolutely get a window switch. You would be fine on the stock long block with a 75 shot and like scrming said get it dyno tuned just in case. Scrming and rygen are good people to talk to about nitrous since they both used it for quite a while, and racethis on the other forums is a good guy to talk to also.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

personally cameron, i would probably go this route if i were you anyway. doesn't you car have almost 70,000 miles on it or something like that? Going forced induction may not be worth it before having to replace the engine or buy a new car because forced induction or any power adder will take away from longevity of the drivetrain. I think most people here go with the zex kit that is made for the gt, but it works fine for our cars. You should get a locker/lsd and possibly some gears though with the nitrous, and like scrming said absolutely get a window switch. You would be fine on the stock long block with a 75 shot and like scrming said get it dyno tuned just in case. Scrming and rygen are good people to talk to about nitrous since they both used it for quite a while, and racethis on the other forums is a good guy to talk to also.
hahaha it doesnt have 70 thousand! its got 45k haha. but yeah i see what ur saying.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:07 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dwisforme05

hahaha it doesnt have 70 thousand! its got 45k haha. but yeah i see what ur saying.
oh i thought it had a ton for some reason... hahah i really dont even know why i thought i remembered you saying something about 6x,xxx miles.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

ha nope. only 45K but i still think nitrous is a good way to go for me. i could still go f/i but i dont think ill ever have enough. it would take me probably 3-4 years to come up with that money. is zex the only company that makes a nitrous kit for our cars clay?
Old 08-02-2007, 06:21 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

You should be fine with the 100 shot tuned as well. Most of us ran the Zex kit for the GT.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:23 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

i think NX makes a kit too, but im not sure. I'm not the guy to talk to about nitrous, but if i were you i would go zex. Although, i have heard about quite a few zex window switches failing lately on lots of different types of cars. Isn't that what happened to you scrming or did you not have a window switch?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:12 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

i think NX makes a kit too, but im not sure. I'm not the guy to talk to about nitrous, but if i were you i would go zex. Although, i have heard about quite a few zex window switches failing lately on lots of different types of cars. Isn't that what happened to you scrming or did you not have a window switch?
I didn't have a window switch...

Quick Reply: Nitrous on a sixer