Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New to forum, serious question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:02 PM
cemetery gates

Default New to forum, serious question...

Hey guys! I’m new here and I have a serious question. I am looking at getting a first car. I want to get a ‘05+ mustang v6 coupe (used with about 30k miles). The thing is that I really really want a manual trans. Am I going the wrong route with this decision? My father and I have a guy at a ford dealer looking for me to get a manual v6 ’05 mustang; if I wanted an auto I could get one tomorrow. In my area the v6 manual’s are very hard to come by. Also the traffic here is pretty bad and everyone and their grandma has an auto, so a manual would be sort of a pain to drive. My father has a ’99 gt conv. running about 300hp to the rear wheels. It is a manual and I have driven that once. I can drive stick fine, but doing it all the time gets me worried. Right now I drive a ’98 monte carlo z34(mom’ car); it’s an auto and I feel comfortable driving it. My father has driven manual’s all his life, he thinks I should get a manual, I sort of really want one too. Is this a bad decision? Please shed some light on this. BTW I’m going to pay for about half the car. I have already put money away for the upgrades too Do you guys think this is a good first car? I mean I’m a good driver and pretty responsible; I’m 16 and have 2 jobs…. Please Help! Bye
Old 08-03-2007, 10:07 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: New to forum, serious question...

Keep looking for that V6 witha manual tranny. Find the car you want so you don't have any regrets later. The S197 4.0L V6 Mustang is a very good car for a young driver, especially if it has the optional side airbags. Four words:style, performance, reliability, and safety.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

The 2005-2008 mustang is a great first car! (It is my first car) Like you, I was torn between getting the auto or the manual. I went with the auto because about as fast as the manual, and a good tune/cold air intake combo really wakes it up. I now wish that I had gotten the manual because I really want to run through the gears daily. I think that either way you will definately love the mustang as your first car.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:17 PM
cemetery gates

Thanks for the replys guys! I think I will just stick to the manual then. I should have it by sepetmber/october hopefully!

Thanks again guys! If anyone else has a comment please feel free to post...

Bye
Old 08-03-2007, 10:45 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

You're young.... get the manual. When you're old, and sick of shifting, get the auto.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:45 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

Keep looking for that V6 witha manual tranny. Find the car you want so you don't have any regrets later. The S197 4.0L V6 Mustang is a very good car for a young driver, especially if it has the optional side airbags. Four words:style, performance, reliability, and safety.
+1
Old 08-03-2007, 11:03 PM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

go with the manual for sure! im 18 and just got my 2005 v6 manual before i go to college. such an amazing car. youll love it. dont settle
Old 08-04-2007, 01:08 AM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

I have a manual and love driving the car.....that is until I get caught in horrible socal traffic. Thank God for the lovely Accord I have. Great on the freeway in stop and go traffic. Almost fall asleep driving my honda. It is soooo quiet.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:13 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

driving my manual ranger through L.A. traffic made my legs numb from the stop-n-go, clutch in, clutch out[&:]......so thats why i got an auto 4.0. if i'm fortunate enough to get a GT500, well then i'll be MORE than happy to go back to stick[8D].....good choice to go for the manny at your age.....you need to learn how to drive a stick with confidence in order to become a man...hehe [8D]
Old 08-04-2007, 01:20 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pat6674u

I have a manual and love driving the car.....that is until I get caught in horrible socal traffic. Thank God for the lovely Accord I have. Great on the freeway in stop and go traffic. Almost fall asleep driving my honda. It is soooo quiet.

yo pat6674u,
i see your from rancho cucomonga.....and S&B filters headquarters is in Ontario. were you aware of that already and if so, do you know if they have a company store to purchase in person? that would be easier for me than ordering online. just curious.

Quick Reply: New to forum, serious question...